Quantcast

Broke my leg

Liquid10

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Bellingham, WA
Well I won't be riding or walking or driving for a while. Last thursday I broke my tibia and fibia (lower leg bones) after casing a huge gap jump (45+ feet). The impact broke my leg right away and I was thrown off the bike. Oddly enough the bike appears to be fine except for the front wheel, I guess my leg took all of the impact. Local riders stopped to help me but I still eventually had to call 911 and get taken out by the fire department on a stretcher. I had surgery on friday and have been hobling around on crutches/wheelchair since then. Getting around is a chore now, I'm lucky there are people who are helping me out with getting around, otherwise I'd be screwed. Looking back on all the events from getting off the mountain to the numerous different hospitals I went to I'm lucky to even be alive right now. The moral of this story is if you have doubts about a jump (especially a big one), go around it. The potential consequences are NOT WORTH IT, trust me. follow someone who has hit it before if you must hit it. That is my rant for now, hopefully I'll see everyone out there riding in 4-6 weeks.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Sorry to hear dude - that sucks. I know how you feel.

Looks like the 2005 injury bug that plagued the PNW continues to 2006...

GlennG

Chimp
Mar 23, 2005
Forks, WA
Sorry to hear about the injury. I broke my neck and back in one crash last year and spent 8 months off the bike. I have just got back in the groove and am waiting for whistler to open in August (HaHa) after the snow melts. I hope you have insurance.

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
O man that sucks hardcore!! im there with ya though im out too:( Ya so whats with all of us getting hurt lately anyway have we lost all skill? or have our balls grown bigger than are pants can handle? Anyway fast healing powers to ya

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
What kind of hardware did you get? i broke mine a few years back and i'm still not 100%. But i'm 99.9% so you can definately recover just as good as new.

Just listen to your doctor and do what he tells you. i was fortunate a bunch of Ridemonkeys hauled me off the mountain, and a Ridemonkey loaned me a trainer for my road bike and that really helped me heal! And when the doctor said i could go to a Physical Therapist i declined because i was doing so well, but then i hit a wall. It was spendy but i decided to go to the PT and i'm totally glad i did. He used to be a trainer for the Sonics and he bent and pulled and twisted stuff and got me to do exercised i just couldn't do without the guidance and equipment. i was riding XC and working on the roof in about 2 months. It hurt like hell but i could do it. i think after 9 months or so i crashed over the bars, and the trail was a little steep so i threw the bike underneath me and instead of doing a superman i put all my weight on the broke leg before doing a slide. Everything held up awesome, and it helped me stop thinking about it.:)

Good luck and heal up fast.:)

Ruprick

Chimp
Apr 28, 2004
kootenay
Is this you? Were you riding alone?
Taken from the AbbyNews

Stunt ends in McKee Peak rescue

A stunt attempt ended in injury for a mountain biker on Thursday after he broke his leg trying to make a jump on McKee Peak.
Around 9 a.m., emergency crews were called to the trails near Ledgeview Golf Course after the 23-year-old cyclist from Washington State crashed, following an attempt to launch off a bike jump.
The young man came up short in his attempt to cross a 60-foot opening. The crash landing ripped the rear wheel off his bike and sent him tumbling.
The cyclist managed to call 911, and was later helped by a passing cyclist. Emergency crews arrived after hiking 1.5 kilometres up the mountain to reach him.
Central Fraser Valley Search and Rescue and Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service wrapped him in blanket and transported him by stretcher to a waiting ambulance.
He was taken to MSA General Hospital for treatment of his broken right leg.

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
Ruprick said:
Taken from the AbbyNews

A stunt attempt ended in injury for a mountain biker on Thursday after he broke his leg trying to make a jump on McKee Peak.
Around 9 a.m., emergency crews were called to the trails near Ledgeview Golf Course after the 23-year-old cyclist from Washington State crashed, following an attempt to launch off a bike jump.
The young man came up short in his attempt to cross a 60-foot opening. The crash landing ripped the rear wheel off his bike and sent him tumbling.
The cyclist managed to call 911, and was later helped by a passing cyclist. Emergency crews arrived after hiking 1.5 kilometres up the mountain to reach him.
Central Fraser Valley Search and Rescue and Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service wrapped him in blanket and transported him by stretcher to a waiting ambulance.
What the heck is abby news?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
dirtjumpP.1 said:
4-6 weeks? that seems awfully short for a tib/fib fracture. mine took 10 weeks to get out of a cast completly.
Mine was a tib/fib too....

When i had my surgery i got a rod and 4 screws, it effectively becomes your bone, after a month if you so choose you can start aggresively rehabbing it by putting more and more weight on it. The bone starts calcifying more from the tension that gets put on it, so it heals faster. The rod keeps it from re-breaking.

My doctor made me stand and put all my wieght on it after one month. Holy crap it was scary i thought it was just going to fold underneath me, plus it hurt like hell and i could feel it crunching inside.....

i did heal faster than normal, my doctor was pretty amazed, but if you're athletic and you try really hard you can come back quick.

TtotheJ

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
B'ham, WA
Bummer to hear about the leg, hopefully it'll heal fast for you. Are you the guy that they're talking about in this link on NSMB? http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=75670
If anyone wants to see the picture of the gap that won't show up in the Abby news story check the link. Its a pretty f'ing big gap, especially to try alone. Total props go out for having the balls to try that.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
TtotheJ said:
Total props go out for having the balls to try that.
All the same i don't think props keeps you from dying when you freeze to death at night cuz nobody finds you.:)

If you're gonna try a jump like that you need someone there to at least take pictures. Unless you get some help, getting off the mountain is going to either impossible, the cause of your death, or extremely frikkin painful that you'll pass out multiple times on the way down at least.:looney: (that is if you can't get rescued, cel service doesn't always work..)

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Skookum said:
Mine was a tib/fib too....

When i had my surgery i got a rod and 4 screws, it effectively becomes your bone, after a month if you so choose you can start aggresively rehabbing it by putting more and more weight on it. The bone starts calcifying more from the tension that gets put on it, so it heals faster. The rod keeps it from re-breaking.

My doctor made me stand and put all my wieght on it after one month. Holy crap it was scary i thought it was just going to fold underneath me, plus it hurt like hell and i could feel it crunching inside.....

i did heal faster than normal, my doctor was pretty amazed, but if you're athletic and you try really hard you can come back quick.
Hey - didn't we have the same ortho? He does good work :thumb:

oxygen_77

Monkey
Sep 20, 2003
Kent, WA
Skookum said:
cel service doesn't always work..
and if you break your arms then good luck using a cell phone anyway ;)
Sorry to hear about your broken leg... heal up quickly (I would try to send you healing vibes, but I think my vibes work in reverse because my collarbone took forever to heal when I broke it (riding with Skookum :D ))

Liquid10

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Bellingham, WA
Ruprick said:
Taken from the AbbyNews

Yes that is me. I actually wasn't alone there were a few riders on the trail who helped me. I still had to call 911 because there was no I way I could move without a backboard. I'm surprised that ended up in the newspaper. I hope this whole thing doesn't result problems for trails up there in Abbotsford. I told everyone who took satements from me that the incident was entirely my fault, not the trail's/trailbuilders fault. I take full responsibility for my own actions. As for healing time the doctor said I should be walking again in 4-6 weeks.

chaffer

Chimp
Feb 25, 2006
TACOMA, WASHINGTON
At least you were attempting a jump. I broke my arm on the way to the parking lot after riding at sst on sunday. Pretty lame. Good luck for a speedy recovery.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
chaffer said:
At least you were attempting a jump. I broke my arm on the way to the parking lot after riding at sst on sunday. Pretty lame. Good luck for a speedy recovery.
Heard that from Shane - what the hell? Were you goofing off or something?

AA_Freeze

Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
Ferndale,Wa
The wood landing is about 8 feet across and 6 or 7 feet long, then it turns to dirt. I watched people hit that jump on Sunday and made it look easy..definately a lot of speed involved. That is private land where the trails are at Ledgeview is owned by 3 developers..they seem cool to let bikers ride on the land, but looks like development will begin soon and Mckee Peak will be no more..those trails have been there for about a year.

Liquid10

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Bellingham, WA
Big B said:
They need one of those speed-check radar trailers out there with a big sign. 35mph = success. 34mph = broken leg.
hahaha, that'd be good. You need to be f--king flying to clear that jump. I was carrying a ton of speed and I still didn't make it.

I gave my bike a thorough inspection today. I was expecting the crankarm to be bent or the bottom of the frame to be dented/cracked. However the only thing wrong with it is the front wheel is bent a little and the shift cable broke. I can't believe it:eek: My bike fared the wreck way better than I did.