Quantcast

Brokeback Mountain

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
I don't really want this to be a political debate about the movie so that's why I'm not posting in the PD forum. Many would call this a "chic flic" because it's a love story so that's why I'm posting it here in the MH forum.

So Freak was out of town for the weekend so I treated myself yesterday and went to see Brokeback Mountain.

Wow! What a gunch wrencher....I was balling by the end of the movie. Such a sad and powerful love story. I think the actors/actresses (and storyline) did such a great job of making you emotionally vested in the movie that you couldn't help but feel their happiness, sadness, disappointement along with them.

foesjunky

Monkey
Mar 1, 2005
In the 909
This is what my wife had to say.
I recenlty saw Brokeback Mountian! It is great for those who are willing. My review: I thought that it was very interesting that the creator of this movie choose the everyday story of a love affair and took different characters…a sort of what if? I mean let’s look at the “typical” relationship, a man and a woman, yin and yang. A relationship that is strong in its balance of emotions and characteristics of the individual and how they interact and counter balance each other. Now in the case of the again “typical” gay relationship you still have the yin and yang, one of the partners expressing more feminine characteristics, the Yin, and allowing the other to be the yang…still balances. So “what if” there is a gay couple who is not balanced, both are extremely characteristic of the yang and exert only strong male attributes…are they balanced? Ennis (Heath) was the male who when faced with controversy in a relationship will withdraw into his cave and not confront his emotional issues until ready for action. While Jack (Jake) is the male who acts out and seeks what is missing from his relationship of love, man needing something physical to express his feelings. On their final meeting, Ennis had to confront how he could not was not being fair to his friend and realistically could never be, where as Jack had to face the fact that the feeling of love would not ever be enough and therefore let go. What I am left in awe of is the idea that the male race is simply stronger in its connection with it’s own than that of the female race. Two strong men can continue a relationship for twenty years allowing for each others misgivings and drawbacks of their own characteristics, while continuing struggling to balance their top heavy relationship in the wind. It’s like truly deciding to agree to disagree, no one may abandon their post or lean on the other for even a second…and they carried it for 20 years. Admirable…yes…balanced…no. Therefore it is my belief that if it were not for the age of the times keeping them apart, they would never have survived. Favorite moment; Jacks flash back after Ennis left on their final meeting.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
havne't seen it yet, but Annie Poulx is a really fine writer; she wrote the short story that the movie is based on. So, is this a
-buy a ticket
-matineee
-wait for the DVD...
kind of flick...

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
foesjunky said:
. Favorite moment; Jacks flash back after Ennis left on their final meeting.
Definitely one of my favorite moments as well. Ennis guards his emotions so well that you don't see many times of him being the "giver" of affection per se. So much is alluded to of what actually occured that summer, and then to see the love and affection in that scene, you realize why they both have hung on all these years.

geargrrl, I would call it a "buy a ticket" movie.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Cool...I was debating whether this was a "buy a ticket/rent DVD" kind of movie. We're trying to get out a few more times before baby makes 3 so hopefully we'll get the opportunity to see it!

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
buy a ticket

I went with friends and the bf .
It was the kind of movie that everyone sits for a while after and collects their thoughts........... Nobody moved in the theater when the credits started rolling.

I can't tell you how many people were crying. Guys and girls.

Experience it on the big screen.. big country, big skies....

rainbow_smoke

Monkey
Sep 19, 2003
Bellingham, WA
I have not seen it. I would not make it through a whole movie, (33wks preggo) but a good friend of mine loved it! I figure when it comes out on dvd I will rent it!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I would avoid this movie if it was guy/guy, guy/girl, girl/guy/girl, girl/girl, or even girl/girl/girl.

I'm just not down with the sappy love stories. (barf) Except Mad Max, that was tragic stuff.
:)

Glad you liked it though VG.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
TreeSaw said:
Cool...I was debating whether this was a "buy a ticket/rent DVD" kind of movie. We're trying to get out a few more times before baby makes 3 so hopefully we'll get the opportunity to see it!
Make sure you have Netflix when the baby shows up, you're gonna want it at 3am.

:help:

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
H8R said:
I would avoid this movie if it was guy/guy, guy/girl, girl/guy/girl, girl/girl, or even girl/girl/girl.

I'm just not down with the sappy love stories. (barf) Except Mad Max, that was tragic stuff.
:)

Glad you liked it though VG.
Yea, that's pretty much why Freak won't go with me to see it....just not into love stories. He said "If they were two warriors and there were alot of battle scenes, well ok then.." :p

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Velocity Girl said:
Yea, that's pretty much why Freak won't go with me to see it....just not into love stories. He said "If they were two warriors and there were alot of battle scenes, well ok then.." :p
More over, I hate cowboys.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
TreeSaw said:
We were just talking about that and are planning on looking into the possibility.
Trust me, don't even think about it, just get it.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
SkaredShtles said:
Is this some new skool term for some part of the female anatomy? :)
ADOPTED!!!

ok let's try it...

LOCO - STOP BEING SUCH A GUNCH!

I like it!

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I had to bump this really old thread because it takes me forever to see movies. I loved this movie. I cried and cried and cried. I only wish I had gone to see it in the theatre. We watched it a couple of nights ago, and i already want to see it again.

Foesjunky's wife hit the nail on the head.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
laura said:
I had to bump this really old thread because it takes me forever to see movies. I loved this movie. I cried and cried and cried. I only wish I had gone to see it in the theatre. We watched it a couple of nights ago, and i already want to see it again.

Foesjunky's wife hit the nail on the head.
The tear factor is what has kept me from seeing it again since it's DVD release. I saw it 3x's in the theatre and was just left hollow and spent from all the crying each time.

The depth and power of the emotions, and portrayed with such sparse dialog at times, just rips my guts out. The subtext of all the every characters just amazes me. The way Jack and Ennis look at one another, the way Jack's mother looks at Ennis, or the hidden undertones in how Lureen speaks to Ennis. Soooo much more is there than what is on the surface.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Velocity Girl said:
The depth and power of the emotions, and portrayed with such sparse dialog at times, just rips my guts out. The subtext of all the every characters just amazes me. The way Jack and Ennis look at one another, the way Jack's mother looks at Ennis, or the hidden undertones in how Lureen speaks to Ennis. Soooo much more is there than what is on the surface.
i may start crying again.

L

luelling

I saw it with my old lady...and it was a good movie BUT being a straight male I have trouble believing how they fell in love. For most men it would take years, not months, before they view their friends as lovers. My girls brother is gay and bought straight into the plot...but I don't. Good movie...not really that believable though. Second thing...its billed as two straight guys fall in love and thats crap. The one that goes to Mexico to gets his fixing is obviously gay...I can believe the other guy is straight.