Quantcast

Broken 2010 Boxxer WC

flowrider1

Chimp
Nov 16, 2008
Washed out yesterday coming off a jump. Picked up my bike and noticed the crown on the left side snapped! Any one else have this issue?

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
How about a little more info on how this happened, where, speed, height of jump, how hard you slammed, etc.

Gonna need to see a pic as well.

If you search here there is one topic of this happening to one of the first batches. RS will hook you right up.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Bad casting on the first batch, SRAM will take care of you.

Let the e-tard war begin! I am going with 100+ posts on this.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
OMG, WTF OH FOR THE LOVE OF GRANDMAS AND CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES! ALL THINGS HOLY!!!!!

post #5 come on guys we have 95 more :D

I still dont give a crap personally RS has been great to deal with as alot of other CS departments out there and this is a hiccup.

Good to know none the less.

Last edited:

Orfen

Monkey
Feb 22, 2004
UP, michigan
upper or lower? i have an early batch team, would like to know where to keep an eye out.
look at the arch on your boxxer.

the old castings have a knotch/groove beind it where you wrap the ziptie to fasten the brake line. The new castings doesn't any groove beind the crown (just the guide on the front)

my guess that's where the OP's fork broke.

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
Bit of a hijack, are as many people having issues with '10s twisting due to running direct mount stems? I'm tossing up whether to go a standard stem on my new fork.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I doubt it has much if anything to do with the DM stem, it was just a weak point in the casting that has seemingly been updated.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
The end of the crash looked very similiar to the video of the girl who broke her boxxer and trek frame in one crash. Bars inward (toward the direction of the fall) on the last bounce, but nowhere near as harsh. He was going fast though.
Also, it was the arch, not the crown- as long as this is not some wierd coincidence with what happened to my friend on sunday..

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

the old castings have a knotch/groove beind it where you wrap the ziptie to fasten the brake line. The new castings doesn't any groove beind the crown (just the guide on the front)

ahh...I'll check for that when i get home and keep an eye on it. Hope the OP returns to enlighten us as to where his actually broke. Crown is a lot different then arch.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
By OP, it seems like you guys mean flowrider, but what does OP mean?
I'm almost 100% positive that this is my buddy posting. IF it is, this happened sunday, and it was for sure the ARCH, not the crown.
Looked almost identical to the PB link..

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
I doubt it has much if anything to do with the DM stem, it was just a weak point in the casting that has seemingly been updated.
Not related to this particular instance, are DM stems still causing problems with the Boxxer lowers (because almost everyone I know who twisted a set of the old ones was running a direct mount)?

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
the same happened to my boxxer team 2010. It came with the first batch to switzerland and I know 2 other guys who had exactly the same. I'll go with bad casting. Sram took care of us on the same day respectively and haven't seen any of the newer ones break. **** happens
Sh*t happens?

Are you kidding me!!??

The fact that bad castings made it to the general public is pretty poor on SRAM's behalf. Yes, it can happen (bad castings) in the developement process, but it should never make it to a consumer level product. You bet SRAM hooked you up on the same day, if someone hurt themselves because of this kind of failure SRAM could face a huge lawsuit.

Thumbs down to SRAM for sh*tty QC. Gotta love companies who let the public do their testing for them.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Sh*t happens?

Are you kidding me!!??

The fact that bad castings made it to the general public is pretty poor on SRAM's behalf. Yes, it can happen (bad castings) in the developement process, but it should never make it to a consumer level product. You bet SRAM hooked you up on the same day, if someone hurt themselves because of this kind of failure SRAM could face a huge lawsuit.

Thumbs down to SRAM for sh*tty QC. Gotta love companies who let the public do their testing for them.

wait for it... wait for it.... ok go!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

double snap, mine has the nubs. I'll watch it.

I can see how it would snap there, there's an indent for where the zip tie should go. I think SRAM just lowered the weight as much as possible, weakest point is where it breaks.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
double snap, mine has the nubs. I'll watch it.

I can see how it would snap there, there's an indent for where the zip tie should go. I think SRAM just lowered the weight as much as possible, weakest point is where it breaks.
SRAM has been using that type of arch for a few years now. All my Lyriks have that notch on the back and I've never had any problems (knock on wood). My guess is that at first they simply went with the same casting design as the Lyrik - but it looks/sounds like a few failed at that area and decided to do a running change to the lowers.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
SRAM has been using that type of arch for a few years now. All my Lyriks have that notch on the back and I've never had any problems (knock on wood). My guess is that at first they simply went with the same casting design as the Lyrik - but it looks/sounds like a few failed at that area and decided to do a running change to the lowers.
My Totem's like that too. It's still going strong, no problems.