Quantcast

Broken Brother... Canfields are down

flymybike

Monkey
Jan 7, 2004
Jackson Hole
It’s unfortunate and thankfully rare when we have bad news from the Canfield Brothers but this is one of those times. Chris was riding yesterday when he went down hard and broke his neck around the c5-c6 disc. Long story short, he is going into surgery this afternoon around 4 and will be out for quite some time. What does this mean for Canfield Brothers Bikes? Best case scenario, not to much, but it will require the help of our friends to pull through this one. Chris’s medical bills will be substantial and insurance is only covering a small part of the total amount. We’ve given you the ability to donate through paypal. We’d really appreciate your help getting Chris back on his feet and feel free to send your best to Chris via email or comment. He’d love to hear from you.

http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/the-chris-canfield-fund

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
It’s unfortunate and thankfully rare when we have bad news from the Canfield Brothers but this is one of those times. Chris was riding yesterday when he went down hard and broke his neck around the c5-c6 disc. Long story short, he is going into surgery this afternoon around 4 and will be out for quite some time. What does this mean for Canfield Brothers Bikes? Best case scenario, not to much, but it will require the help of our friends to pull through this one. Chris’s medical bills will be substantial and insurance is only covering a small part of the total amount. We’ve given you the ability to donate through paypal. We’d really appreciate your help getting Chris back on his feet and feel free to send your best to Chris via email or comment. He’d love to hear from you.

This is awful news. Thought I heard you broke yourself as well? Vibes to Chris and a speedy recovery.

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005
I'm not trying to be rude or disrespectful but...

I'm a little confused as to why he would need donations.
Its not a large company and Chris and Lance don't pull a large salary. So he has to pay for this out of his pocket.
The bill will be about a $100,000.00 total.
So they are asking for help.
VM

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Its not a large company and Chris and Lance don't pull a large salary. So he has to pay for this out of his pocket.
The bill will be about a $100,000.00 total.
So they are asking for help.
VM
:eek: Dayum

Hospital bills are out of control. I guess this is why riding without good insurance is a bad idea.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
im sure Mandown would be able to attest to a serious injury like this and insurance costs.

heres to wishing Chris has a speedy recovery and can get back to riding again

braaaap

Chimp
Feb 27, 2007
Utard
NO BUENO... I have no doubt Chris will pull through this. The man is tough. As for the whole insurance crap... It's looking like Chris will have to pay the majority himself. I have donated to the fund, and encourage everyone the same good karma.
Get well soon Brotha, can't wait to see you soon.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I hope he makes a quick recovery. Scary situation to be in for sure.

His family should contact the hospitals financial department. They can write of HUGE amounts without much trouble.

A friend of my dad's had a heart attach, spent a few weeks in the hospital, and they wrote off the 100k+ bill.

I have also had substantial amounts written off. 1k ambulance ride, stabilization at the ER, etc. Everything was about 9k+, got dropped down to $198.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
Because running a bike company, contrary to popular belief does not make one rich. I know Chris has sacrificed alot so they could keep this company running. They are 2 of the most dedicated, down-to-earth dudes you could meet.

A little strange having a video chat with Chris in his thermal underwear

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Because running a bike company, contrary to popular belief does not make one rich. I know Chris has sacrificed alot so they could keep this company running. They are 2 of the most dedicated, down-to-earth dudes you could meet.

A little strange having a video chat with Chris in his thermal underwear
Contrary to popular belief you don't have to be rich to have health insurance.

I'm sure someone is going to think I am being a dick but I'm just surprised that people ride without insurance these days. As far as I'm concerned good insurance is up there with wearing a helmet in terms of protecting yourself when getting gnarly (skis, bikes, climbing, whatever).

From what everyone here says about him, Chris seems like a great dude and I wish him the best in his recovery. I will donate what I can.

ebxtreme

Monkey
Apr 25, 2007
Bellingham
Hi everyone.

Just got off the phone with Lance....so here's a quick update.

They are still in Jackson, WY right now, but they are going to Life Flight Chris to Salt Lake so he can have surgery at the University of Utah. He's got a lil' bit of numbness in his left arm right now, but everything else is moving and functioning....so that's great news, of course!

It sounds like he came up short on a new jump (that was wet and is still running slow) and nose cased the tranny. He had no time to tuck n roll or adjust for the crash. He went straight to his head and shoulder and knew that he f'd himself up, but still walked himself out. To answer a question that'll inevitably come up. No, Chris wasn't wearing a Leatt/Alpinestarrs brace and, yes, it likely would've helped here.

As many of you know, Lance just broke his Fibula in Sol Vista and had just surgery on Wednesday, so BOTH of the Canfield Bros. are down right now. :( Lance and Michelle will be driving the Canfield van from Jackson to Utah asap.

What can you do?
Well, this isn't gonna be a cheap operation - let alone the flight to Salt Lake for this. While insurance will cover a lot, there is going to be huge bills to pay. If you'd like to donate to help Chris out, that would be mucho appreciated by the brothers.

Healing vibes to both Chris and Lance.

Cheers,
EB

Killingtonvt

Monkey
Sep 19, 2005
Bellingham, WA
You pretty much nailed it man... they are by far the 2 most dedicated dudes I know and have done so much for me. I was in Jackson just last week with Lance and I can't believe all that has transpired since I came back East.

My heart goes out to the family for sure!!!

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
They are still in Jackson, WY right now, but they are going to Life Flight Chris to Salt Lake so he can have surgery at the University of Utah. He's got a lil' bit of numbness in his left arm right now, but everything else is moving and functioning....so that's great news, of course!
That's good to hear. Way to many nick/spine injuries lately.

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
Holy crap!

Sending good vibes to Chris, he's always been super kind and a pleasure to chat with.

Once my credit card is re-activated I'll donate!

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
I'm sure someone is going to think I am being a dick but I'm just surprised that people ride without insurance these days. As far as I'm concerned good insurance is up there with wearing a helmet in terms of protecting yourself when getting gnarly (skis, bikes, climbing, whatever).
True dat!

I hope they both make a full recovery, both physically and financially.

Princess

Chimp
Jun 7, 2009
Utopia
I don't really think this is the place to chastize the guys for their insurance situation. It is what it is. I think that this thread should be a place for everyone to send well wishes and reach out and help, even if it's only through thinking positive thoughts.

There are plenty of bike industry folks who at one point or another have not had insurance, have dealt with substantial hospital bills, or have had catostrophic injuries. It's part of our sport. So maybe let's act like a community and spread some love, instead of negativity.

Heal up fast brothers.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I don't really think this is the place to chastize the guys for their insurance situation. It is what it is. I think that this thread should be a place for everyone to send well wishes and reach out and help, even if it's only through thinking positive thoughts.

Heal up fast brothers.
For real man...I am with you...not sure who these ppl are that start the negative conversations about a guy that has been such a great contributor to our sport.

My only dealing with Chris was buying a pair of crampon pedals earlier this year...really good guy and wish him all the best. He walked out so it sounds like this is just a ****ty situation for a bit and he will be back at it soon.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Jesus...

Glad to hear the update from Lance that Chris has mobility in all his limbs - this is GREAT news! :)

On behalf of the guys at EVIL, I'd like to wish Chris a speedy recovery and rehabilitation. VERY glad to hear that things will get better for both of the Canfield brothers.

Everyone be careful when pushing the limits out there.

Last edited:

gollub01

Chimp
Sep 10, 2010
jh wyoming
Hi everyone - I must say that I feel a bit like a bad luck charm lately. I was riding with Lance all last weekend and rushed him to the hospital in Sol Vista. We charged home where he had surgery this week. He is in pain, but like a big bro, only concerned with his brother.

Chris and I were riding all afternoon on Teton pass. After he went down, he stood up as quick and started marching down the trail. He knew he had to move, and he knew the adrenline would provide him with energy to get out. He was a such a trooper getting down. Nice job C2. We shuttled cars and went to ER at Jackson, WY. I have been with him ever since. He is in SLC now. Lance is en route to meet him along with lots of other family members.

He is in bad shape and basically we are calling on the MTB community for help. PLEASE, donate for the Chris Canfield recovery fund. The medical bill for this endevor is likely to exceed 6 figures. This community is founded on people helping out others. Look at how far the sport and industry has come. Any bit is helpful. We just want to say thanks for everyones help. We are receiving great donations. Chris tears up to hear of everyone cheering for him. This is help where a little bit can go a long way. Please tell your friends. Keep fighting Chris ! We are with ya.

braaaap

Chimp
Feb 27, 2007
Utard
Just thought I would give a quick update on Chris and his current status.
Due to a sub aortic aneurism in his clavicular artery Chris had to be transferred to the University of Utah medical hospital from Jackson Hole Wyoming via life flight hellicopter. Upon arrival he was admitted into the surgical wing of the intensive care unit. The plan at this point is to get him into surgery with a vascular team to fix the aneurism. After the aneurism is under control, a team of Neurosergions will go in and repair, fuse and clean up c5 and c6. As of now Chris is feeling a bit of numbness in his left arm. He is in pain, but the team here at the University Hospital are doing an amazing job. His spirits are great, and he is flirting with all of the hot nurses.
Surgerys are scheduled for first thing in the morning, and I will do my best to keep everyone up to speed.
It's pretty rough seeing one of your best friends in the world in this kind of shape. I know he is tough and will get through it, but damn.
Keep sending him your good energy, happy thoughts and positive mojo. He needs all the help a friend can throw his way.
Thanks fellow monkeys for the support thus far.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
....Upon arrival he was admitted into the surgical wing of the intensive care unit....

His spirits are great, and he is flirting with all of the hot nurses.
My wife is a nurse on said unit and worked last night... She said one of her patients complimented her eyes last night... :shocked:

I don't care if he is down, I will kick his butt!!!! ha ha

Chris is a great guy, I have bought a ton of stuff from them and hopefully will be on a new jedi when money allows. He is a good guy that I have had the privilege of of talking to face to face many times.

I hope he heals up fast, we will definitely be contributing once me and my wife figure out how much we can right now.

Until then I will have to tell her to watch out for partially drugged up mountain bikers at work :D

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
terrible news, great that it's looking promising at this point.

Chris and Lance were awesome to me when I was buying my Jedi and cut me a deal even though they didn't have to at all.

I'll definitely donate what I can spare, as someone who shattered his wrist a few years ago uninsured and was billed out around $42,000. Medical attention is fscking expensive, thank me for getting a "Responsible job" for having health insurance now.

healing vibes to Chris and Lance.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
I messaged LAnce about a possible shirt to help raise funds, Im working on that now. Hopefully I can get something together over the weekend to send to Lance and get something off to a screener whose willing to work on the cheap for a benefit.

gollub01

Chimp
Sep 10, 2010
jh wyoming
haha Bubba- That made me laugh pretty hard. I was with him for most of the day yesterday, and I guess you still see the world the same whether your hurting or not. Gotta love the ladies especially when they take care of you. I promise Chris was a gentleman ! Thanks on behalf of Chris. I know he really feels grateful for all the love and support. Keep it up guys ! thanks !

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It's amazing how many riders they've shared trails, runs and days with, including myself. Truly great guys. I hope for the best.