Quantcast

Broken Clavicle aka Collarbone Healing Tips?

stratguy1618

Monkey
Apr 18, 2004
I broke my collorbone in three places today at shells and was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to let it heal faster and safer. Also the doctor said I might need surgery because she doesnt want the piece sticking down
to shift down and puncture my lung..Hopefully I dont need it though..
Heres a pic of a normal one

And heres mine

stratguy1618

Monkey
Apr 18, 2004
I just went to transfer from the small lip to landing of the big lip from the first jump in the main pack at shells,which is something I do all the time and is not hard at all, and nose stacked and flew over the bars and in a hand stand and did a flip and landed on my shoulder, also hitting my head, but thats ok. I got up and my initially said "DAMMIT I BROKE MY COLLARBONE!!" But then I tried to move my arm and couldnt so i though it was my shoulder, then I got a ride to the hospital, and did and then the doctor immediatley said, " Yep, youve got a broken clavicle.."...I wish I had some cool story behind it but I dont. Right now im hopped up on vicadin which helps sooo much. It will be at least 2 months before I ride again..

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
I hope I never break another bone, breaking bones is ****ty. YOur muscles get all pussy and you start getting pale gazz growing inside your cast... icjk..

Andy_B

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
whereabouts unknown
I have broken both of mine... There is nothing you can really do... Other than take it easy. Have your doctor give you a few of the butterfly braces because you will go through about one of those a week.

Good Luck.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
you'll probably heal faster with a surgery cause the bones will get plated together and thus fuse quicker plus you'll have use of your arm sooner during the healing process. if surgery is an option, i'd do it.

best wishes.

joel

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Hey man, sorry to hear you broke your clavicle. I broke mine last November and then again this past May. I had to have surgery and they put a titanium plate and 7 screws. I finally rode DH this past weekend and was very weak. My advice is to take it easy and just let it heal, then start doing your exercises. You really can't do anything to hurry it up. Make sure you go to your check-ups. Hopefully you won't have to have surgery - if you do the scar you get is pretty long (6" or so) and runs from about the middle of your chest to the bump on your shoulder. Heal up...oh and welcome to the Broken Clavicle Club :thumb:

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Tyler Hamilton broke his on the first stage of the Tour day France and finished the race. So suck it up and get out and ride. :D I think he ended up having to get his teeth capped from grinding them due to the pain.

On a serious note: How does that heal up if the bones aren't touching?

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
TAKE IT EASY
Enjoy the meds. Watch TV. Sleep. Despite what another monkey said, hold off on surgery unless your Dr says you REALLY need it. All kinds of complications can set in with surgery (yummy infections, slower to heal, etc.) so don't do it unless you have to. I did pretty much the same thing to mine (one end of the bone pointed at my lung) and thought surgery would be the way to go. I did not get it and things have healed up pretty nicely (got a good sized lump there though).

After you have healed a bit, make sure you do physiotherapy to rehab all the muscles. It really helps. I have done mine twice in the past year and they hurt. It feels like nothing is happening until one day they get a bit better, then they get a lot better. It happens really fast when it happens. It is kind of strange. For now, just gel out and think about what the bone SHOULD look like (not how it looks now). It'll help.

Joe Pozer

Mullet Head
Aug 22, 2001
Redwood City
Five said:
They don't - unless you have surgery.

Mine healed without surgery and none of the bones were touching. I just have a pretty good size bump on my shoulder...

From what I've read it really depends on the Dr. on whether they prefer to go with surgery or just let it heal on its own.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
stoney98 said:
don't ride. let it heal.
second. there is 'NO' secret healing tips. I’ve never done it myself but being around cycling for a long time I’ve seen people do it wrong and endure 2X as much pain and recovery than necessary. If you are concerned about losing your fitness you should be able to ride a recumbent style excercycle within a few weeks then graduate to a regular exercise or trainer.
Talk to our doc about these options. Stay off your clavicle.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Joe Pozer said:
Mine healed without surgery and none of the bones were touching. I just have a pretty good size bump on my shoulder...

From what I've read it really depends on the Dr. on whether they prefer to go with surgery or just let it heal on its own.
Dang you got lucky. Since I broke mine twice in 6 months - I had the surgery.