Quantcast

Broken Demo 9 pics

Turd Ferguson

Monkey
Dec 21, 2004
Burbank
Here they are. Looks like a warranty issue.
Cracked seat tube. I took lots of pics because
they didn't seem to show up well.
Sorry about the size.

Turd Ferguson

Monkey
Dec 21, 2004
Burbank
Nope. It's my buddies bike and that's the first thing we considered. I think four inches in the hole is the recommended depth and if you notice the cracks are above and below that depth. btw, he only pushes the bike uphill, never raising the seat.

ilfreerider

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
israel
i think crackes in the seat tube area dont just happen from normal loads or use. it seems that the only force that can cause such damage is the seat tube , so either a big landing on the seat (using a realy long post) , or incorrect post placment.

i hope your "S" dealer is big.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
mobius said:
To short of a seatpost if thats teh seatpost tube. They might not warranty it.

doesnt look like it, plus see that damage on the side of the tube, its really weird, might have been from harsh landings but it doesnt look like typical damage from too little seatpost extension.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Yeah when people land hard on their seat a bunch. Good luck...pilot error!!!

P.S. NEVER NEVER air it out here first with pics. You never know who's lurking.

This does happen when a burr on the seatpost galls the inside of the tube and causes a stress riser. I say this because it's appears that the crack MAY have started from the inside.

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
i dunno dude, those don't really look like much of a big deal. I can't even really tell if they are scratches or cracks. I'd say just run your seatpoast to the bottom of the hole and your good. Don't trust me though...

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Typically, Specialized is pretty good about warranties. I know someone who cracked a 4 year old DH FSR in pretty much the same spot, and he was given a brand new Big Hit...

Turd Ferguson

Monkey
Dec 21, 2004
Burbank
metalMTB said:
i dunno dude, those don't really look like much of a big deal. I can't even really tell if they are scratches or cracks. I'd say just run your seatpoast to the bottom of the hole and your good. Don't trust me though...

Trust me they're cracks. Look at the middle pic.
The crack runs behind the weld.

'I want some crack!'-Tyronne

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
yea, it does look abused, i mean that won't just break from riding or a bad landing. It looks like it could've been stressed sideways maybe in a bad crash or bail.

Turd Ferguson

Monkey
Dec 21, 2004
Burbank
Turd Ferguson said:
I'll let you guys know what 'S' says.

Well the results are in:

Specialized received his frame last week. They shipped him one right away. He got it Tuesday. Unfortunately it was the wrong size. They called 'S' the next morning and they said they'll get the right one out right away. Got it the very next day. Turns out that this is the 'first' warranty on a Demo Nine.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Too bad they all weren't that way.

Most the time its wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait,wait, wait, wait,wait, wait, wait,wait, wait, wait,wait, wait, wait,wait, wait, wait,wait, wait, wait,wait, wait, wait,wait, wait, wait,wait, wait, wait,wait, wait, wait,wait, wait, wait, and wait some more.

Then we will get back to you. Then wait again.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Yeah, I've heard of rear swing arms cracking but don't recall any main frame breakage...Good to hear the big S backed your friend up.