Quantcast

Broken Frame

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
DOH! Let's all bow our heads for the SGS, it was a good frame...for the money. Between the Cypress trip, the Whistler trip, and the stack last weekend I cracked the left chainstay on the bike. So sad, but this will give me the excuse I needed to start saving up seriously for a new rig. Hmmm, maybe the '06 Big Hit or the new Stinky D...

In the meantime I think I'll pick up a cheap hard tail frame and swap my parts onto for the winter. Maybe try riding up something for a change.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Any chance for a warranty, or crash replacement? Im sure a new chainstay from IH cant be that expensive... If anything repair it and sell the thing....

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
Five said:
That sucks - I guess no Seymour in October huh?
Probably not, now. I'm sorry! I contacted Iron Horse, and the dude in warrantee said they's sell me a new chainstay for 59.95. He won't, however, reply beyond one mail: I ask, he answers and asks a question, I answer and then no reply. I think the hardtail plan might work best, since it's tough to keep up with Julie when she's on a FSR XC Pro and I'm on the downill rig. Then, next year, shiny new rig!

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
carbuncle said:
Probably not, now. I'm sorry! I contacted Iron Horse, and the dude in warrantee said they's sell me a new chainstay for 59.95. He won't, however, reply beyond one mail: I ask, he answers and asks a question, I answer and then no reply. I think the hardtail plan might work best, since it's tough to keep up with Julie when she's on a FSR XC Pro and I'm on the downill rig. Then, next year, shiny new rig!
Why bother with e-mail.... just call them.

If your tossing the frame in the dumpster, I'll take it off your hands and spend the 60 bucks to fix it......

fattyfat1

Monkey
Mar 22, 2005
Kelso, WA
i can weld that crack bro! don't ditch the frame. aluminium is easy to weld and i can have it heat treated and stress relieved, and brinnel hardness tested to make sure it is up to snuff once the welding is done. with aluminium you cant just weld it, it gets soft like copper. these other processes (post weld heat treating) cook the metal at a certain temp. and hold it there for a few hours to re-harden the metal. brinnel tests make sure the weld and the heat affected zone (about an inch on either side of weld) are the correct hardness. i've fixed a few frames in my day, and not had one break again any where near the repaired area. plus, i have a friend that works at a premier machine shop. can fix, fabricate, or machine any part of of a bicycle. let me know, i'd be happy to help a brotha out.

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
If I retire the frame, she's getting framed (no pun intended) and hung up on the trophy wall. But Fatty Fat, now there's an offer! PM sent. Regardless, that '06 Bighit really does look sweeeeeet...

One more mail to the factory, no reply. Found the number for customer service on the site (1-800-NOW-WAIT? Joking) and got no answer...

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
Yeesh, finally got through to them and got the info for a new stay and hanger. At least they still have them at the factory, I was worried that they would only have back stock for the new lines.

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
Yes, sir it does! I need to wait until early october to get the piece sent, but after that if we team up I think I might well be able to make that trip after all!