Quantcast

Broken rear pivot

jeep7588

Chimp
Jun 24, 2008
One of the rear pivots on my Mongoose teocali elite 2007 broke and I need to replace it. Unfortunately the part is on back order (until 6/29which means who knows) at Mongoose. I was wandering if I could go somewhere else to get this part because I would like to ride my bike this summer. Any help on locating this part would be greatly appreciated. Also any other options on fixing it would be appreciated. Also if anyone knows if this is a common problem for this bike.

Thanks

Just to clarify, The bolt broke from the bearing it was welded to on the one side. The other part threads over top of the end that broke off to form the actual bolt that forms the pivot, hope that is specific enough.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2006
North White Plains, NY
If you are referring to the actual pivot bolt, you can simply replace those with same-sized bolts from a hardware store. Best part is, the new bolts will actually be stronger than the stock Taiwanese pivot bolts that come stock on the Teocali's. This is basically what is being done on the new EC-D, Black Diamond and Khyber bikes.

If what you are referring to are the bolts down on the small black link that connects the bottom of the BB/Shock Mount and the rear swing-arm, those are more specific and really should be replaced only with factory parts (although you may be able to find the parts elsewhere).

There are no bolts which are welded to bearings on the Teocali's or any FreeDrive bike. If you thought it was welded, it may just be because the bolt was badly seized or bent (i.e. jammed) into the bearing.

jeep7588

Chimp
Jun 24, 2008
I am refering to the actual pivot bolt not the bottom part that connects the swingarm. I will have to take a closer look but it did look like it was welded to the bearing. Are you saying the other part is just stuck in there on the side that is still in there and not actually welded to the the bearings. That is good news if true, not sure why no one else suggested that including Mongoose or the bike shop that I took it to considering the part is on back order while the summer is wasting away for me. Thank you for responding.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I was thinking of getting the same bike. If I end up getting the bike I'd like to know what to expect. I've test rode that bike and was pleasantly suprised at it's plushness and pedal efficiency. Can you post any pics of the problem?

jeep7588

Chimp
Jun 24, 2008
I will try to post picks of the problem. It is a great all-mountain bike rides great not sure what happened, maybe it was just bad luck on my part. Anyways I did look closer and the part that broke is the one of the metal sheaths on the side that thread over the bolt to make the actual pivot, it looked welded to the bearing mechanism because part of the sheath was stuck in the bearing. I can't get anymore specific than that so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Apr 28, 2006
North White Plains, NY
Then your problem is exactly what I thought it was. Those "sheaths" are actually just custom bolts used on all FreeDrive bikes from Mongoose. They are the same dimensions and size on ALL of the bikes, whether it's an EC-D, Canaan, Teocali ... etc. I'll post the correct replacement bolt size when I get a chance to measure mine tonight. Good news is, as long as the bearings don't look cooked, the fix for all of this will just be two shanked bolts from the hardware store.

jeep7588

Chimp
Jun 24, 2008
I really appreciate your help. It is just killing me not to be riding my bike, I get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Let me know what I need to get at the store when you get a chance. Again I really appreciate your help.

Thanks

jeep7588

Chimp
Jun 24, 2008

I kind of pieced all the parts togother on this one to give an idea of what it looks like when it is all one piece.

Last edited:

talusslope

Chimp
Apr 6, 2007
sst, WA
I had a similar problem with the bolt and sleeve nut pivot for my rear shock bending. and my local shop said $30 from Cannondale, or find a good machine shop. But when the sleeve nut finally broke, I was in Moab, UT and The red chile bike shop had the exact part I needed for $9.95! quazam!!

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Take the busted bolt to a hardware store. They will be able to measure the diameter and length and hook you up with a regular bolt and a nylock nut for it. Find one with a long enough unthreaded section to go all the way through the pivot and cut off the unused threads with a hack saw.
This should cost you under $10, and it will be worlds stronger than that flimsy garbage the bike came with.