Quantcast

Broken Scapula

Bobodaclown

Monkey
Apr 16, 2005
London, England
Have any of you ever broken/fractured a Scapula?

I was out riding XC yesterday morning and had a bit of a big off at speed, ended up with a bruised face/body and a very achey arm/shoulder that i could not move as I was in a lot of pain(probably more shock and being very annoyed at crashing) ended up in hospital turns out the pain/discomfort from my shoulder was due to fracturing my right scapula. The doc informed me that it quite rare to fracture a scapula due to where it is positioned etc and being a big chunk of bone, put me in a sling and said to rest up and come back in a week for more x-rays.

I had previously dislocated my shoulder a couple of times and about three years ago had the 'Bankhart operation' to stabilize my shoulder, it had since been fine an had full movement. I thought I had dislocated it again but it turns out that I had cracked my scapula. It feels really uncomfortable and hard to move.

Have any of you guys and gals ever broken it, any tips to support it etc and heal it up as quick and well as possible? Once healed did it go back to feeling normal or does it limit movement or anything?

Cheers

Last edited:

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
I fractured my left scapula in 2004. Not a big deal other than the inconvenience of waiting for it to heal. no problems after it healed.

as with most orthopaedic injuries, the key to having a good recovery is patience, and not pushing too hard too fast. if your orthopod says 6 weeks before you ride again, go with that. giving up 2 weeks now for a lifetime of healthy shoulder function, not such a big sacrifice. tune up your XBox skills in the meantime.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
I fractured my scapula. It was the worst pain I've ever had. Getting in/out if bed was agonizing, felt like my whole arm would fall off. Healed up fine with no surgery and hasn't bothered me since though. Raced in the Cross Nationals eight weeks after the break.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I broke mine when i broke my collar bone. my doc told me the scapula tends to heal very quickly if it's a clean break since it's situated between several muscles and has a good blood supply (at least that's what i remember him saying 13 years ago). Mine healed way faster than the 6 weeks it took for my collar bone to mend.

i imagine it depends greatly on the type of break and the location?

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
This is week 13 off work for me now
Had a wee accident on my DH bike. Hit a tree at speed and broke a few bits:

6 ribs ( broke #2 front right off )
Split my scapula ( right side )
Compression fracture of my T8 vertebrae
Laceration of my kidney ( pee'd blood for a few days )
Popped my AC joint ( pushed it back in on the hill )
Torn ligaments and muscles

Had to walk off the hill to the ambulance but got there in the end.

The biggest problem I am experiencing with the scapula is that it has many connecting muscles and even when you don't move your right side the left side muscles still pull and give discomfort. Things are ok now after 13 weeks, so it is just a time thing. Kick back, take in some MTB DVD's and chill, your body will thank you for it long term :thumb:

All the best with your recovery :cheers: