Quantcast

broken shock bushings??

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro

yup, it's me again... with even MORE broken AC bolts/bushings! i'm not even sure where to start with this one. it's the bolt & eyelet adapter that attach the top of the shock to the rocker.

is this a rock shox issue? a giant issue? my lbs just dropped giant as a vendor, so i don't have contact with them any more.

i found some replacement ones from betd racing in the UK but it'll cost me close to $60 for the part + shipping with the lousy Euro conversions... i just want to ride this bike again before the season is over, can anyone help?

thanks in advance!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There are no broken bushings in that picture.

I see a broken bolt.

I see broken eyelet adaptors.

I see damaged bushings inside the eyelet of the shock.

Traditionally shock bolts and hardware are broken by having too light of a spring that bottoms out against the frame (hence, the ole "you should bottom your bike 40 times on a DH run" myth can come back to bite you very bad). Other reasons it could happen is just due to weak hardware, having a very wide bolt increases the leverage that it can see from the shock.

Another problem could be the worn/damaged bushing. This might allow a bit of play in there and the play destroys shock bolts and eyelet adaptors pretty fast.

Play could also be comming from the shock mounts on the frame and linkages. If this is the case you could be pretty well screwed, there's no perfect solution for this unfortunatly, and sometimes you have to even junk the frame.

It's impossible to say why this happened at this point, but you need to replace all three of these things, bushing, eyelet adaptor, bolt...

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
ah, sorry... "eyelet adaptors", not bushings.

i think the #1 reason (among many) that it broke is that the rocker arms are not perfectly straight. using line of sight, it seems that the left rocker is a mm or 2 above the right one. i think this causes the bolt to loosen over time and the loose bolt snaps after a few big hits. hrm. the bushings were damaged after the adaptor broke. not sure how long i was riding with it broken. (did upper dominion at diablo at LEAST)

anyway, i don't have the cash for a new frame. unless someone has a mint 02-05 bullit hanging around for $500 :D

i've got a new bolt, any idea where to get new "eyelet adaptors" and bushings?