Quantcast

broken shock-mount bolt??

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
discovered another casualty from diablo once i finally got around to washing the giant this week. in addition to snapping the rear axle, i managed to (at some unknown point) snap the bolt that attaches the shock to the bottom mount. it's like a 4mm hex bolt and nut. anyone have an idea where i could pick up a replacement??? home depot doesn't carry that kind of stuff do they?

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Actually HD probably would, they usually have a drawer full of metric stuff. Failing them, any hardware store should have it. It's 99% going to be an M6 x 1 (pitch) x however long you need. A word to the wise, get a grade 8 or 12.9, nothing lower, and don't get stainless steel. 8 and 12.9 are strong enough for that application, lower grades really aren't.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
DßR said:
Actually HD probably would, they usually have a drawer full of metric stuff. Failing them, any hardware store should have it. It's 99% going to be an M6 x 1 (pitch) x however long you need. A word to the wise, get a grade 8 or 12.9, nothing lower, and don't get stainless steel. 8 and 12.9 are strong enough for that application, lower grades really aren't.
geeze, mr smarty pants!

that's a good tid bit to know though thanks!

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
i don't think they get any more tech than dan, dan the answer man :thumb: that's why i ask these questions here. got another one for ya'll.

does anyone have an extra sealed rear QR axle or an old trashed hub that i can pillage one from? struck out at bike club today and i was hoping to get it together for the shed on saturday.

reward: a smooth frosty malted beverage

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
corey_dcstreet said:
i don't think they get any more tech than dan, dan the answer man :thumb: that's why i ask these questions here. got another one for ya'll.

does anyone have an extra sealed rear QR axle or an old trashed hub that i can pillage one from? struck out at bike club today and i was hoping to get it together for the shed on saturday.

reward: a smooth frosty malted beverage
don't know if you can get what you need from my old wheel, but i have an old thrashed QR rear wheel from my P3 that's still sitting around doing nothing. you can have it if you need it. it's got a specialized stout hub and the freewheel on it is shot.

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
"I am", as the kids say, "all over that shizzzzzz".... :thumb: you going to be around on thursday at all? i can swing by before/after/during the street ride for el pickupo.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Well, Dan said it all. Except to try mom and pop shops. Fishers Hardware in Springfield rules, but I dunno how close that is to you. Don't go below grade 8, not worth it. :)

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
you're absolutely right mikeo -- struck out at HD yesterday, they pointed me to that little hardware place (rt 7 & 29) in falls church.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i usually go to a place called Asheville bolt and screw. all they have is different types of bolts and stuff. If you have a place like that they will definately have it.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Mcmaster rules; I bought 200 rotor bolts, and 200 pedal pins from them. Now I never have to worry about trying to find 'just two more f*cking rotor bolts' etc...

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
There was a place where I used to live called Tacoma Screw Products. They sold everything you needed to...well...screw...stuff together. :p

Then there's T&A Supply in Seattle (I think they sell flooring) :D