Quantcast

Broken Spoke Festival - Update

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Don't forget to pre-register online. Less then 3 days left to do so.

Plenty of awesome raffle prizes:

• Raleigh Ram 3.0 Full Suspension Bike
  • Transition Trail-or-Park Frame
  • Hydrapaks
  • Park Tool Repair Stand
  • Mt. Borah MTB Shorts
  • Fuelbelts
  • Transition Apparel
  • Transition Bar-caps & Seat
  • Leatherman Tools
  • REI Rental Gift Certificate
  • Skinz Body Armor
  • Hincapie Autographed Photo
  • Superfeet Insoles
  • and plenty more!

Awards to top 5 in each category, $1500 cash purse for Pro/Open

Transponder Timing

Chuckanut Brewfest with live music from La Push, Buckle Busters, Quickdraw String Band, Yambique and others.

Parking information now online, off-site parking in Fairhaven with shuttle service to the park. Directions to the lot on our website, no parking at the Park.

Be sure to pre-register!

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Anybody have any insight to what the DH course might be like?What will the logistics be,can you park any where near the bottom,shuttles etc?

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
DHRracer said:
Anybody have any insight to what the DH course might be like?What will the logistics be,can you park any where near the bottom,shuttles etc?
Search the boards, I've answered questions about the course a few times now. Sorry don't really have time to elaborate much. Fast course, upper section primarily rutted out singletrack with 4-5 temporary stunts we have built and are bringing in. Spending the afternoon finalizing all that stuff. Then high speed finish down an old logging road. Some tight corners that will catch everyone off guard and should add to the fun, see who has good high speed cornering skills.

No you can't park near the bottom and no you can't shuttle. All participants will have to park at off-site parking lots and be shuttled in. We have shuttle services for everyone so don't worry about that. Also have shuttle for practice and race covered, no space to park or turn around on this road and don't want to run into the mess that used to always happen at Winthrop with all the cars on the road and no way to turn the vehicles around or get medics in if needed.

Check the website for more details.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Due to demand, pre-registration will remain open until Thursday Sept. 22nd @ 12 midnight.

Be sure to get your T-shirt when you register, limited supply.

Rumor (and posts on RM) have it that a few folks will be dressing up in costumes for the Festival, why not give them a little competition, we might even throw in an award for the best dressed!

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Matt, Whats the award recognition going to look like? It says they will start at 230 pm. The reason I bring this up is that there was an event in Whatcom County yesterday where 3-4 hours after the event the results hadnt been posted and quite a few people waited around. Awards were eventually handed out to the top six men and women in the "expert" class and following that the promoter announced that there would be no recognition of "sport" class riders. A lot of people left at this point. Incidentally it was broken up into age groups-indicating that there would be recognition. People waited around for three hours. The Indie Race Series was pretty much up front and said they wouldnt give out anything, yet they did give out a little cash and mostly Cliff Bars to top three finishers.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Top 5 in all categories, with the transponder timing from Milliseconds (company R&R used a few times) things should run smoothly. To my knowledge the Indie Series didn't use RFID timing so that should help.

As a first year event we are really hoping we have everything in place to have the awards on schedule, realistically though there is usually a delay, however I am confident we will have a pretty good setup, we have to give a delay for results contesting per NORBA rules, but as soon as that is over the awards will happen. Our bands will be there entertaining everyone, our headliners were scheduled at this time for that very reason. Plus the Brewfest will be open, so to answer, 5 deep in all categories.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Registration closes tomorrow, if you are planning on just coming up to attend the festival, pre-register also, saves the trouble and wait day of.

Update - we are giving away 1 complete bike, 2 frames, and tons of swag. The crew will be out at the festival grounds and on the hill pretty much 24x7 starting tomorrow, looking forward to seeing all you monkeys out there.

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Are you going to have the XC course marked for pre-ride? I think I know where its at. I went up the hill from the Clayton beach and was going ccw up past the gate when my chain busted so I didnt get to figure it out. I am thinking of giving it a shot again friday.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Borregokid said:
Are you going to have the XC course marked for pre-ride? I think I know where its at. I went up the hill from the Clayton beach and was going ccw up past the gate when my chain busted so I didnt get to figure it out. I am thinking of giving it a shot again friday.
Assuming time plays in our favor and we get the help we are counting on, yes it will most likely be marked in time for you riding it Friday. We went up and did some prep on the upper trail until our hedge trimmer jammed on us and had to walk with a machet to do the rest until the sun went down, needless to say we didn't get it all done, so we are planning on going back up again this afternoon and again Friday to prep the XC and DH.

As long as you head up Burnout, stay left (on the main road) to the very top then take the trail from there (which we groomed so it should be noticeable) and stay left on it, you'll head back into the park trail system and down to Fragrance Lake Road.

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
I must give big props to you guys up there working on this event! :thumb: I think it's awesome and hope that it has a good turn out! I think it's going to be alot fun!

wanker

Chimp
Nov 27, 2004
Ferndale
Cheers to Matt and Friends,

I've been waiting for a race like this in the Whatcom/Skagit area for the last few years, hopefully this race might revive the XC race scene in the area. Thanks again for your efforts........see you on the weekend.

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
This will be fun. Unfortunately, I broke my wrist and can't ride but I'll be there cheering everyone on. I'll be riding at Winthrop in a few weeks though.