Quantcast

broken tail-bone

nk_bg

Chimp
Oct 17, 2005
Hi all,

I broked my tail-bone in a crash 2 months ago (the saddle stabbed into my bottom-back.. err.. into my a*s :dead: . If someone has crashed ever like this, please share your experience how much time did it get to heal completely, to get back on the bike and so on... all info will be appreciated. Medics say that it will take 6 months, but most of them don't understand the specifics of MTB.

Thanks, apologies for bad english.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I'm sorry to tell you, the medics are not wrong. Broken tailbones SUCK and take a long long time to heal.

It will reallly hurt for a while, and after that, you might be able to sit on your bike after a few months, but it will keep hurting, especially if you crash, sit down wrong, etc.

I feel for you, I hurt mine skating (I basically FELL off of a 12' vert ramp) and it hurt for awhile.

Do what the doctor says, and if he says stay off the bike for x amount of time, stay off the bike for x amount of time! A little bit of waiting now will DEFINANTLY pay off in the long run

Scarpa

Chimp
Aug 31, 2005
Felton
Broke mine snowboarding 5 years ago. Doctor said it would take 6 months to a year to heal, I thought "yeah right".

8 months later it still hurt to sit on a hard surface. Doc wasn't lying, it took almost a full year to feel completely whole. You might be able to ride in 6 months but you won't be charging full speed again for about a year.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Get well soon. I've never actually broken my tailbone, but I have hurt it pretty bad--twice. Once on a skateboard doing a handrail (when I was a kid) and a few months ago while DHing--which still hurts from time to time.

Both of my trailbone injuries took quite a while to heal. The worst part is when you think you're in the clear, because the pain has subsided a bit, and then you sit down on a hard surface or fall on it...OUCH! I would suggest picking up some Rockgardn CYA shorts...

nk_bg

Chimp
Oct 17, 2005
Thank you, guys. It seems that i really need to pay some attention and keep my a*s away from the saddle... Thinking about riding around easy trails without sitting...

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
nk_bg said:
Thank you, guys. It seems that i really need to pay some attention and keep my a*s away from the saddle... Thinking about riding around easy trails without sitting...
Just be careful! Don't go too far from your house, because chances are, if you did it only 2 months ago, you are not gonna last long on the bike :(

bigdrop05

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
Bruised or broke mine in 3-4th grade Tons of years ago.. It hurt for about 5 years after that !!

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
I broke my tailbone skateboarding "back in the day"......twice. Bruised it badly once trying to rodeo flip snowboarding. Hurt like hell, turned all sorts of black, blue, purple, green, and yellow as it bruised. As the others here have said, it takes a while to heal because there's nothing they can do for it.

The padded granny panties seem to be the way forward if you're prone to falling off and landing on your ass or hips. I'm definitely going to pick up a pair of them soon. I don't know about the Rockgarden but the Dianese shorts have aluminum honeycomb plates in the hips and seat which sounds pretty cool.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
not to scare you, but my mom broke hers a few years ago and to this day she can't sit on a bike seat. she's like 50 though, and bones just dont heal the same.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I have broken mine skiing a few years back, and then last winter I was in a slopestyle comp and fell on a rainbow rail about 15 feet off the ground. Hit my ass on the rail, and then fell about 10 feet down and hit my ass on the ice under the rail. I've always been in a good amount of pain when I sit for a while. I didn't break it when I fell off the rail, but i bruised it really bad. I had to sit on a donut for a few weeks.