Quantcast

Bromont 2.0

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
just out of curiosity, how do Plattekill and Diablo compare to Bromont? I know Bromont well enough and I'm curious about those other two places... wondering if they're worth the drive?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
just out of curiosity, how do Plattekill and Diablo compare to Bromont? I know Bromont well enough and I'm curious about those other two places... wondering if they're worth the drive?
I haven't been to Bromont recently (two years, I know they've improved) but when I was there the terrain screamed "world cup" to me, in that it was very fast, rocky but not overly so, not extremely steep but not shallow either, and honestly, just damn well built and thought out.

Plattekill is much rockier, to the point of wondering why they built a ski hill and not a quarry, and the trails tent to be tighter, slower, and much steeper, although trails are continually being built that are closer to WC-esque style. The variety of terrain is huge, and one side of the mountain varies pretty vastly compared to the other. Facilities are way lacking compared to bromont, and the lift is much slower/inefficient...but you're also almost always in good company, whereas at bromont and diablo you're fighting waterpark crowds or vacationers. The atmosphere at plattekill is tops, IMHO, even if it takes you two minutes longer to the top.

Diablo has a better lift but no chair, and everything there is very well built, to the point where you can go as slow or as fast as you want to off some of the drops and still be super safe. They have a wider variety of terrain, with trails like tempest and alpine that are smooth and super flowy rather than legit trails, but also have some super tech trails as well. Some of the rockiest terrain around can be had there...such a PITA.

I'm very disappointed that I didn't make it out to Bromont this year, but I tend to forget that after a weekend at plattekill, if that helps.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I try to avoid these sort of comparisons becasue all 3 of these mountains have a lot to offer to different riders. that being said, I like riding at Diablo and plattekill, but neither can really compete with Bromont in terms of the sheer variety of terrain, the lift access, and the number of trails or the trail maintenance (not to say the other 2 are neglected, Bromont just has the capacity and resources to do a lot more). the two chairlifts offer access to what feels almost like two different mountains given the difference in topography and terrain on the front and the back sides. Diablo has more jumps, but Bromont has bigger ones, and you can find plenty of super steep trails if you know where to look. The biggest downside is that there are so many different trail options and a trail map/signage system that needs some impovements (i don't even know the names/#'s of some of the trails in the video) which makes it really hard for a non-locals to show up and really get a feel for what's there. All 3 mountains have a lot to offer, but only one gives you a 7 day season pass for $150:eek:

As Sandwich already eluded, for someone with more of a racing mentality i would reccomend Bromont over the other two hands down.

edit: skipped the terrain park for the video, but it's not small. found a crappy vid on youtube that shows some of it
and there's a pretty sweet new jump trail on the back side of the mtn that jumps over stream beds and steps up into a tree. but if jumps are what you are after i'd recommend Highland followed by Diablo

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=224265

for some photos. It's definitely worth a trip, but if you're local to Bromont, I'd have a hard time driving FURTHER to go to either place regularly. If you love the terrain, that's another story, but you shouldn't ride at only one mountain all summer/life long...there's a LOT of good stuff on the east coast...mega long runs at whiteface, steep gnar at plattekill, well built stunts at diablo, even weller built stunts at highland.....

It's good to be an east coaster.

Oh yeah, great vid, shame my work computer doesn't do HD well.