Quantcast

Bromont or Plattekill or Diablo in WET

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
So we have a ride weekend planned for next weekend June 11/12.

Problem is Bromont is having a brutal several week stretch with rain. And forecast shows major rain accumulation from Tue to Friday this week!! 40+ mm during this stretch (thats alot for an already saturated area!!).

Have not ridden Plattekill, so not sure how trails are there in the rain, or if lift runs during inclement weather. And they are calling for rain Tue/Wed/Thur this week.

And Diablo calls for rain Tue-Thursday. Do they run well in the rain? Do they run in inclement weather?

From Ontario, 8+ hour trips for us - so we want to minimize any chance of us getting somehwere late friday night, and hearing Saturday morning "sorry we are not running cause of the rain..."

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
bromont was mid summer conditions today.
bromont is really fun to ride when its actually raining,
and the forecast looks pretty good for the next week/weekend......

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Diablo doesnt get muddy at all, it gets slick, one of the better mountains to ride in the wet IMO. I hear that platty gets "better" in the rain, because it keeps the rocks together and ends up being grippier. That said, all 3 places you listed are good, i dont think u can go wrong!

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
Just got back from bromont.

Wat a day,they got both lifts going and tons of new SICK trails.

HUGE switchback berms too,can take them too fast.
Rode the 09 WC track,GNAR.

Honnestly,bromont has STEPPED their game since the last years.
Almost wana go back up but my knee is hurting cause minions suck at life.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
p.s

bromont wen its wet,oh boy its wet.

Very slick,lots of slippery rocks and roots.

You should come up,cause you'll want to come back.

Was riding with peeps from NY today btw.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Diablo gets super slick and tech in the rain, Plattekill is a hoot, especially if its actively raining - plenty of grip, of course ups the tech in places.

Bromont I can't say, but from what I hear, is a bit of both., a real blast in any conditions.

If it's really wet anywhere, I prefer to ride while it's raining vs after, definitely ups the difficulty in some senses, but post rain riding always seems the 'worst' in terms of traction and sloppiness.

Any will be fun, I would choose Plattekill, but I am a whore for that mountain. I had ridden Diablo back in 99/2000 when it was just Mountain Creek, but Platte starting in 2002 is why I bought a DH bike.

Lions

Chimp
Sep 16, 2008
Big yellow land
Bromont rides really well in the wet. Definitely better that Derpablo. We took a five day trip to Bromont a few years back and it rained four out of the five, still worth it 100%.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i can say without doubt that plattekill will be open in the rain. Supposedly they were still running the lift even though there was thunder in the area at the pro GRT. I'm pretty sure I've ridden the lift in the rain there...

As for the riding, plattekill drains very well so you're likely to have some very wet spots but probably 75+% dry. The only problem is that some of the trails serve as their own drainage, so riding what equates to an active stream is an interesting experience. Bring sticky tires, though I'm still not 100% convinced you need spikes there.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
You want to go to bromont,

some vid I found.

In the next few weeks they will be open weekdays.

Been to bromont tones of times in the rain,They will operate the lift in the rain.I've been there wen it was snowing too.

Platty and diablo have how meny lifts just outta curiosity ?????

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
platty has two slow ones, diablo has one that moves at lightspeed.

I'm not saying don't go to bromont, just that riding in the wet at platty is AOK.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
platty has two slow ones, diablo has one that moves at lightspeed.

I'm not saying don't go to bromont, just that riding in the wet at platty is AOK.
It is clearly not ok to ride in the rain in canada.

the second lift gives me a heart attack I can't look down its so high up and drops so far down....

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
So leaving tomorrow - problem is all three places are going to need an ark!!

Bromont looks like it will need the smallest Ark - so probably go to Bromont. With it being an early season ride, was hoping to find a place not to slick - but they all look like it will be water logged, Bromont the closest and least wet...

Will make the final decision tomorrow morning - just hours before leaving!

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
I can't stand diablo in the rain. WAY too sketchy with all the immobile rocks. Plus, when it rains they close quite a few of the trails, if it gets very wet. Platty, on the other hand, is super fun in the wet. One of my best ride days ever was riding Platty in a torrential downpour.

Never been to bromont so I can't comment.

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
The past few weeks have been rain free here,eccept yesterday we had a epic storm.

Today good.So you should be more then good.
if you decide to hit bromont.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
also, I was just there this past weekend for the first time this year, and hit up my favourite trail there: http://www.pinkbike.com/video/200749/

the 19 and 19b has just the right combination of gnar and flow and I feel like a rockstar when I clean it going fast!

edited to add: not me in the video. just some random one I found.

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
Ok guys,

Thanks alot. Bromont it is. Looking so forward to this weekend... So much positive talk about Bromont - now I get to find out!

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
ride
6 to 8
new bermy one under the back side lift
jumpy trail off the back side

then explore.

Last edited:

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
Thanks,

Trails noted - suggestions greatly appreciated. Not sure if in 2 days we have time to hit all the trails