Quantcast

Brosnan podiums at the World Cup for the first time

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Troy Brosnan, racing for Monster Energy / Specialized / Mad Catz, rode to his first elite World Cup podium in the final round in Val di Sole, Italy, on Sunday. The junior downhill world champion showed he is in top form with just two weeks remaining until the world championships in Champery, Switzerland.</p><p>
</p><p>
Brosnan stopped the clock in 3:15.773 during his final run. That placed the Australian in fourth on the day just 5.417 behind World Cup round and overall winner Aaron Gwin.</p><p>
</p><p>
"This is amazing, dude. I cant believe it," said an overjoyed Brosnan. "My mom and dad are here and just to do it in front of everyone on this kind of track is wild. I am kind of mind-blown right now."</p><p>
</p><p>
Brosnan was the top junior finisher of the day and he secured the overall junior World Cup jersey. He was eighth among the elites in the standings with 625 points.</p><p>
</p><p>
"My run was sick, just super smooth, and I didn't have too much left at the bottom," he said. "I just let it go. I had the most fun run I have had all weekend. I wanted to get though the first split and then I don't know, I just let it loose at the bottom. </p><p>
</p><p>
Brosnan's teammate Brendan Fairclough of Great Britain did not fare so well in the finals. He finished 33rd in a time of 3:27.845, 17.489 seconds behind the winner.</p><p>
</p><p>
"My run was horrendous. I came off my bike two times. It was just awful," said Fairclough. "I'm a bit depressed right now. I felt really good and up to speed, I just couldn't keep it together for finals."</p><p>
</p><p>
With Sam Hill still out of competition after a shoulder injury, the Monster Energy / Specialized / Mad Catz managed a 10th place finish in the team category.</p><p>
</p><p>
Despite only racing the first three rounds of the season, Hill ended up in 27th in the World Cup standings with 315 points while Fairclough, who missed the first two of the seven total rounds, ended up 29th with 303 points.</p><p>
</p><p>
Qualifying</p><p>
</p><p>
In Friday's qualifying round, Brosnan was also fourth with a time of 3:17.130, 3.903 seconds off fastest qualifier Gwin. Fairclough qualified 20th in 3:26.964.</p><p>
</p><p>
What's next?</p><p>
</p><p>
In two weeks, the world's best downhillers will converge in Champery, Switzerland for the world championships. </p><p>
</p><p>
Brosnan is looking forward to defending his rainbow striped jersey earned last year in Mont-Sainte-Anne, Quebec, Canada. </p><p>
</p><p>
"It's good to know I have the speed to go into worlds nice and strong," said Brosnan.</p><p>
</p><p>
Fairclough, on the other end, is ready to bring an end to his season. "I'm pretty stoked this season is over. I'm forward to Champery. I'm going to have my knee surgery and then I'll be back," he promised.</p>

More...