Quantcast

Brown brought me grip...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
If it makes you feel any better, it appears I won't be getting my rear derailleur removed anytime soon. I tried to swap my med cage from my DH bike to my XC bike, and it was on really, really tight. I was using the correct allen key, but a few shavings came out of the hole on the derailleur. Fack.

Mission aborted.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
If it makes you feel any better, it appears I won't be getting my rear derailleur removed anytime soon. I tried to swap my med cage from my DH bike to my XC bike, and it was on really, really tight. I was using the correct allen key, but a few shavings came out of the hole on the derailleur. Fack.

Mission aborted.
Sounds like it was cross threaded when it was installed. Is the drl. hanger replaceable ?

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Those should last you a long time, is my guess. I've been running a Wolverine 2.2 set up ghetto tubeless on the rear of my PrestonFR, and while it rolls fast and has decent, predictable grip in the dirt, it's not so great on bare rock, where grip is more a function of rubber compound than tread pattern. Makes me think they're made of a pretty hard compound. I'll be interested to hear how you like them, esp. on the front.
- Joe

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Those should last you a long time, is my guess. I've been running a Wolverine 2.2 set up ghetto tubeless on the rear of my PrestonFR, and while it rolls fast and has decent, predictable grip in the dirt, it's not so great on bare rock, where grip is more a function of rubber compound than tread pattern. Makes me think they're made of a pretty hard compound. I'll be interested to hear how you like them, esp. on the front.
- Joe
Do you have the DNA rubber... I've used it in the past on some Nano's and it's pretty grippy... not like kenda stick-e, but still pretty good.

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
No, it's just the low-end Wolverine. Wire bead, no DNA rubber. So perhaps not applicable to your purchase.

Do you have the DNA rubber... I've used it in the past on some Nano's and it's pretty grippy... not like kenda stick-e, but still pretty good.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Wet Traction Bad.

Wonky Trail Bite.

Weird Tailbone Bruise.

Wild Torrential Boner.

Wondering Tipsy Brankick.

Wiener Toothpick Bananna.

Washable Toupe Band.

Windy Toochie Breeze.

Warm Toothache Brownies.

Warf Touches Boys.

Okay, I give up... what.

those are all great, especially the warf one :rofl:

based on my experiences with wtb tires, it means "worse than bad"

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
those are all great, especially the warf one :rofl:

based on my experiences with wtb tires, it means "worse than bad"
What's the answer! DAMN IT MAN!

:rant:

Oh wait, you gave it... :D

I have only owned 1 set of WTB tires. Had the Mutano Raptors with DNA rubber compound. Wet Traction Bad was a pretty good description of them but that's why I have a set of wet conditions tires. In the dry the mutanos were great. Cornering was solid, rolled fast, large volume, good treadlife. They need to make a super sticky compound though. They have nothing nearly as sticky as Kenda's Stick-E.

I've always wanted to try the ExiWolf too, but they are never available at a decent price. I refuse to pay $50-60 for a tire when I know I can get a Stick-E Nevegal and be perfectly happy for $35.

Last edited:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Tire report:

Not bad by any means... They roll very well. Dry traction is pretty good. Cornering is well above average, especially for an XC race tire. Predictability is great... when they start to let go in a corner they do it in a progressive manner, not sudden at all. That's pretty nice, and you can push them hard before they actually start to slip.

I think the 2.2 is actually more of a 2.1. And I'd love it if the compound were a bit more sticky. They don't velcro to rocks like the Kendas do but they are pretty good.

Hit some wet patches... seems to be their weakspot... wet + rock = :eek: