Quantcast

Bruises

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
What does a bruise actualyl signify? It's internal bleeding right? Which means what exactly?

If you have a bruise like this:

should you carry on riding, or rest it up and move it as little as possible so the muscle/tissue heals better?

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
it depends on how "deep" the bruise is and if you are in pain.
if it hurts dont ride, if it doesn't hurt (to much) keep on riding but be careful :)

thats no medical advice just what i do :)

btw that bruise looks nasty, but its a little bit older right?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
That photo was 2 days after my crash, it looks worse now (5 days after crash) :)

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Originally posted by - seb
That photo was 2 days after my crash, it looks worse now (5 days after crash) :)

thats normal. the blood is transported to the surface before the body starts to... err... i dont know the right english word for this. i mean the body starts healing up the bruise and getting rid of that "old" blood in the bruise.

btw what happened?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Originally posted by UiUiUiUi
btw what happened?
Nothing much really, I wasn't going that fast, not compared to a lot of crashes I've had before anyway. Just fell heavy, and into a bombhole so fell a fair way before I hit the ground (4ft maybe). I think I landed on a root too, not sure tbh - fookin hurt though :)

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Originally posted by UiUiUiUi
sounds like fun ;)

no not really, its always the harmless looking crashes that hurt the most :)
Aye, I still remember a crash I had 2 years ago where I should have broken every bone in my body - blacked out breifly and had a very painful neck for a few days, but was otherwise fine :)

a bruise is a simply bleeding under unbroken skin. it may be superficial, or deep. the pain is typically due to the swelling of the surrounging tissue and compression of the "pocket of blood" comprising the bruise.

the only things i would look out for is infection. a fiery red color to the overlying skin, draining of pus, fever/chills, significant warmth over the area may all be indicative of an organizing infection and should be checked out by your doctor.

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
Also, the discoloration is due to the de-metallation of the porphyrin moeity of the well known, O2 toting, heme group (Fe-protoporphyrin IX). Upon de-metallation, its optical properties change and a different collor is observed, other than the classic red (oxygenated, FeIII oxidation state) and blue/green (de-oxygenated, FeII oxidation state).

Joey

Monkey
Feb 8, 2002
West Tennessee
Yep, there's an herb called Arnica that you can get at a health food store that seems to work wonders on bruising. It's in a small white pill(s) that you let dissolve in your mouth. I had to have my face rebuilt a bit after a pretty gnarly wreck and it really helped with the bruising and swelling.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Originally posted by Mitch
Might I suggest a hospital for medical advice :rolleyes:
Meh, GiantDHRider's close enough. You're in med school, right?

Anyways, I wouldn't worry about it unless any of the funny things described above happened. I've had some pretty big nasty bruises (one that lasted several weeks, took up about 1/4 of my arm from football, others from cycling). As long as there's no intense pain (it'll hurt no matter what, though), I wouldn't worry about it. Give it 2-3 weeks if it's a real big one. That seems to be about average healing time. It should be a lovely minty green or jaundice yellow by then! :)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i have one that's 19 days old. still there, although finally started going away this week :eek: :dead:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Now that this bruise has disappeared - what does it mean that the flesh under the skin is really hard and lumpy?

Originally posted by - seb
Now that this bruise has disappeared - what does it mean that the flesh under the skin is really hard and lumpy?
might i suggest liposuction? ;)

no seriously, its most likely scar tissue...or clot material. it'll take a few weeks for it to go down, but it may not completely disappear. as long as you're not in any pain...its cool