Quantcast

Brunch - The Globe - Nov.25.2006

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Wow glad you liked it but that looks like a great way to cover and muddle the clean flavor of good fresh scallops. Isn't mornay sauce basically a cheesy bechamel?

Funny though, I made a salad with pomegranate and pecan last night.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
do you get strange looks when you take out your camera?

btw... that looks quite delicious.
Not too many odd looks, but the staff get suspicious that I'm a food critic they don't know about. Never hurt the quality of service, I must say...

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Wow glad you liked it but that looks like a great way to cover and muddle the clean flavor of good fresh scallops. Isn't mornay sauce basically a cheesy bechamel?

Funny though, I made a salad with pomegranate and pecan last night.
No, the scallops were delightful. I took one out after slicing the crepe in twain and savored the chew.

You can make a Mornay* to any consistency you want - and I've seen it virtually gummy in the worst cases. This was light and barely more than a beurre-blanc sauce in thickness...

*basically for folks trying to follow along, a béchamel with Gruyere cheese.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
No, the scallops were delightful. I took one out after slicing the crepe in twain and savored the chew.

You can make a Mornay* to any consistency you want - and I've seen it virtually gummy in the worst cases. This was light and barely more than a beurre-blanc sauce in thickness...

*basically for folks trying to follow along, a béchamel with Gruyere cheese.
Holy $hit - Gruyere makes just about everything better... :D

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Holy $hit - Gruyere makes just about everything better... :D
'gredients:

2 1/2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups warmed milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
pinch freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
2 ounces grated cheese, such as Gruyere

Ho do?

In a medium saucepan melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the roux is pale yellow and frothy, about 1 minute.

Do not allow the roux to brown. Slowly whisk in the milk and continue to whisk until the sauce thickens and comes to a boil, about 2 to 3 minutes.

Reduce the heat to a simmer and season with the salt, pepper and nutmeg.

Allow to simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. This is now called a béchamel sauce, and may be used as is to top any number of dishes. [it's the primary sauce in lasagna, for instance]

Stir in the cheese and whisk until melted. If the sauce seems to thick, thin with a little milk. The sauce is now called a Mornay Sauce.

Suggested Accompaniments:

Steamed vegetables, such as broccoli, cauliflower or baby carrots.

Serve/Store

Pour over steamed vegetables and serve immediately. If not using right away, cool, cover surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several days.