Quantcast

brussels sprouts appreciation

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
mmmmm....I LOVE brussel sprouts. braised may be my fav way to eat them, or sauteed with garlic then tossed in an old balsamic vinegar. :drool:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've only had them a few times, always drenched in butter. I liked them but they tasted like butter.

J-Dubs

Monkey
Jul 10, 2006
Salem, MA
Love'em.
I know it's cheap, but I like the baby brussels in butter sauce in the frozen packs from Green Giant.
Great quick side dish.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Brussels sprouts are great when they're good - the problem is there is so much crap out there both fresh, canned and frozen. 'm usually not to bad a picking fresh vegetables but I can't tell a good Brussels sprout from a bad one until I've already got it in my mouth... sometimes the bitter is just to much.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Brussels sprouts are great when they're good - the problem is there is so much crap out there both fresh, canned and frozen. 'm usually not to bad a picking fresh vegetables but I can't tell a good Brussels sprout from a bad one until I've already got it in my mouth... sometimes the bitter is just to much.
Dare I say your brussels sprouts palate is overdeveloped, not that that's a bad thing.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
My mom hated them so as kids we never had any. I know I've never made them so I'm pretty sure I've never had one. Gotta recipe? maybe I'll make some. Aren't they just baby cabbage? I love cabbage cooked properly.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I too am a fan of the sprouts!

IAB -- I microwave my sprouts for a couple of minutes, season with olive oil, garlic, salt & pepper and then skewer them before grilling (about 10 minutes).

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
I'm a big fan of plain steamed brussel sprouts, maybe with a little olive oil and salt.
My aunt makes a fantastic sprouts, bacon, and caramelized onion dish. mmm....

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Last night I made them using an MBC recipe: Rinse sprouts and cut off the ends. Melt a little butter (2 tbsp). Mix butter and sprouts in a bowl. Pour sprouts into baking dish. Sprinkle parmesan on sprouts. Cook at 400 for 45 minutes. Eat.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Last night I made them using an MBC recipe: Rinse sprouts and cut off the ends. Melt a little butter (2 tbsp). Mix butter and sprouts in a bowl. Pour sprouts into baking dish. Sprinkle parmesan on sprouts. Cook at 400 for 45 minutes. Eat.
Replace sprouts with gravel and that would still taste good.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
That sounds good. Olive oil would probably work well also. If I have sprouts, they are usually just steamed with some salt. I like them.

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
Baby brussels are the way to go. Blanch in a large pot of salted water. Add enough salt to the water so that it tastes like the ocean. This will raise the boiling point of the water and properly season the baby sprouts as well. Drain well and cut in half. Then get a saute pan nice and hot. Add equal parts butter and olive oil. Place sprouts in pan cut-side down and cook until cut-side is golden brown. Season to taste. The end.

Fresh crisp bacon bits sprinkled on top wouldn't hurt either.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Sadly I believe I have never had them, I doubt I would dislike them though, would be nice to try good ones the first time I have them.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
My favorite is to saute them in butter (halved) then add garlic and some fresh grated romano cheese and ground pepper.

:drool:

irishblue76

Monkey
Jul 21, 2008
Massachusetts
I LOVE brussel sprouts! Although I hated most veggies as a child I still loved these things (and spinach - go figure).

Although I usually go simple and just steam them for myself, I have a recipe for them that was so good my bf actually enjoyed them - he is no longer a hater. I can't remember it offhand but it's somthing like brown butter in a pan, then add sprouts & sautee until slightly browned. Squeeze a little lemon juice in there somewhere. I'll have to find it... yummy.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Here is another use.... Chop them up and mix with cabbage when you make your "slaw".
Heck... don't they look like little heads of cabbage anyway?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Anyone else on the Steep and Cheap e-mail list? Today's mailer paid homage to SPROUTS:

I'm not sure what Brussels sprouts are, but they are awesome. They look like miniature cabbages, so I pretend like I'm a giant eating normal-sized cabbage when I dig into a plate. If the name 'Brussels sprouts' is literal, than there should be full-size Brussels around that people are eating, but I've never seen one. The bad reputation that Brussels sprouts have gotten is the least deserved among all foods, except maybe fruit cake...

Jul 28, 2003
Eat, ME
Sprouts are awesome. We grow sprouts, in fact. We grew 18 stalks of sprouts and they almost gone. The trick with growing them is to let them go through at least one hard frosts. This sweetens them up.

I cook them in a little sesame oil until the outer leaves are crunchy. Just before they turn crunchy, sautee some shallots in there with them. Serve with streak tips and homemade fries and a good red and life is goooooooood.

The way that I serve them is in mac n'cheese. Use the little ones that are about the size of the end of your thumb and smaller.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The Cheese

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Did a new (to me) recipe tonight:

Cook a bunch of bacon. Make it crispy.
Have a beer while cooking bacon.
Cut sprouts in half. Brown in bacon fat with about 1tsp garlic.
Cover sprouts in chicken broth. Boil to cook.
Crumble up the bacon you didn't eat while the sprouts cooked over the sprouts.
Eat.

They were incredible.