Quantcast

Brutality or reason not to interfere with arresting officer?

Discussion in 'Politics & World News' started by trailhacker, Jun 15, 2010.

1. trailhacker

trailhacker Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    I wouldn't consider this a good area. It might be my whiteness, but I wouldn't even consider renting, let alone owning, a house within a good distance of this area.
    After dark in a car, maybe if neccessary for some reason. On bike or using transit, not on your life.
    I know that may sound bad, but the truth is what it is.

The jaywalking enforcement was due to a request from Franklin HS (this happened right in front of FHS). MLK Way is very busy street; two lanes each direction plus center lane.

The girl tried to blow the guy off when he was trying to talk to her. Don't know if a citation was the only possible end to that scenario, but you just don't walk away like you don't have to address the cop if you don't want to.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. MMike

MMike A fowl peckerwood.

Rep/Likes:
    61 / 84

Indeed. As I recall that's one of the "rougher" parts of town no? Worse than White Center?

3. trailhacker

trailhacker Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    Some more interesting/entertaining things.

The girls aunt (I believe the 17yo that is being charged with assault) said at a press conference that they call her Angel as she is an angel that doesn't ever do anything wrong. Nevermind the prior charges and convictions.

It has been pointed out that at around 1:14 left in the video, there appears a man in the background that is holding a gun.
    The RW wack-jobs/teahadists insist it is a gun and that the fellow lost his nerve just before shooting the cop.
    I have looked at it full screen and must admit it does look like a gun. But if it is, it is a big gun, and he is walking around holding by the very end of the handle with his finger out of the trigger loop thingy (technical term...).

4. AngryMetalsmith

AngryMetalsmith Business is good, thanks for asking

Rep/Likes:
    317 / 1,980
    Could you give the same warning to the tool bags that wear skin-suits while riding their 29'rs around the lake ?

5. manimal

manimal Ociffer Tackleberry

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 13
    no warning required...those go straight to OC spray followed up with a tasing.

6. $tinkle

$tinkle Expert on blowing

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 5
    this wouldn't be an issue outside of king county if not for the racial makeup of the participants.

just ask the naacp

7. sanjuro

sanjuro Tube Smuggler

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 0
    All seems perfectly reasonable to me.

8. AngryMetalsmith

AngryMetalsmith Business is good, thanks for asking

Rep/Likes:
    317 / 1,980
    Awesome, I'll bring you a doughnut next time we ride.

9. dante

dante Unabomber

Rep/Likes:
    12 / 8
    Thanks! Just as an FYI (from *my* experience), the system of warnings can be used as a tool by unethical cops to target certain groups that they don't like. My sister (white) dated a black man from our church for one summer back when they were in college. She said that at least once or twice a night, he was pulled over for "warnings", as in "Hey, you came around that corner a little fast," or "you should use a little more caution when going through that intersection (that you had the right of way)," or whatever. The warnings were a way for the officer to pull them over, run the plates, peer inside the car, see if the driver was acting nervously, etc. This was also in NY, not even in the deep south.

I'm not saying that that has anything to do with this case, but it causes me to take a harder, more inquisitorial look at a (white) cop stopping (black) people for jaywalking in a bad neighborhood...

10. sanjuro

sanjuro Tube Smuggler

Rep/Likes:
    7 / 0
    Oh boy.

Seattle isn't Mayberry. I might have been teasing about the white/black ratio, but this is a big city, and when I was in downtown Seattle a couple of years ago, I watched my back like I would in any major metropolis.

And another point of analysis is the enforcement of jaywalking. San Diego, for example, enforces the jaywalking laws. I don't know how the enforcement is in Seattle, but it is hard to believe a single cop just randomly decided to start harassing citizens over a bs rule.

Finally, parts of New York State are as backwaters and redneck as South Carolina.

11. Silver

Silver find me a tampon

Rep/Likes:
    10 / 0
    Yeah, but that's an entire city populated exclusively by cunts.