Quantcast

Bryson City Trails

treesquirrel

Chimp
Jul 12, 2010
The swamp or the darkroom
Hi everyone. New to the forum as of yesterday.

My boyfriend and I have a cabin rented in the NC mountains outside Bryson City for 2 weeks in August.

Can anyone recommended some great trail riding? already have some packing along the Appalachian trail planned.

I am recovering from a really bad pelvic accident from sick trails and can't handle anything too extreme yet until it heals but definitely not bunny trails. :)

any info is appreciated. Thanks.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I'm sure you already know, but you'll be right around the corner from Tsali and depending on how many days you want to ride on the rebounding leg, it should be perfect for getting your feet wet again.

Rolling, endless singletrack to break you back in. Rooty here and there, but mellow by NC standards.

treesquirrel

Chimp
Jul 12, 2010
Tsali, thanks bizutch, I remember seeing the area last year. I just downloaded the trails map. Are the bike trails completely separate from the horse trails and clearly marked? I get too much horse s**t on my rides down here and horses are spooked so easily. I want to steer clear of that. and having to announce yourself every time you come up from behind one from 1/4 mi away.... grrrr.

Looks like a great place to ride and around Boone kicks as well. any intermediate/adv. intermediate would be my thang.

I have been unable to ride for 3 weeks except for distance on the road and hoping I can get my butt recovered fully by then..... need to put some blood back in my veins. hah!

CHEERS

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
No worries about sneaking up on horses at Tsali. They alternate usage days between user groups and there are four trails to choose from, Left Loop, Right Loop, Thompson and Mouse Branch. The schedule is posted at both trail heads which are real easy to find. I believe there is a small access fee, $2 or so.

treesquirrel

Chimp
Jul 12, 2010
Hey Metalsmith - I've check out videos from those rides you listed and I will definitely be going there. Can't wait. Thanks mucho. Good news they alternate horse days. nothing against horses but I've had too many altercations here in FL. nothing like manure splattered all over your backside...... :(

Hey FF - the only one around Fontana Village I know of is Brooks Cove trail. There are tons in the vicinity listed though that look like great rides. Incredible area along the upper lake.

FloridaFish

Chimp
Apr 8, 2009
btw, if it's still around (haven't been up since last fall) keep your eye out for the rope swing on thompson loop or mouse branch, pretty fun way to beat the heat.

treesquirrel

Chimp
Jul 12, 2010
Just got back from a week of riding Tsali. I had a blast. Rode Right Loop, Mouse Branch and Thompson. Brakes went out about 1.4 mi. into Thompson through lots of mud and ruts, it was quite humorous riding the descents without them. :D Jumped off Rt. Loop for a swim in Fontana which was way cool. Will now be looking for a bike with disc brakes!

Thank you all for the great recommends. Had so much fun I am bummed to be home on flat turf.

CHEERS!