Quantcast

Budget Ring Flash

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
I went to BandH today after i read a couple of reviews of the interfit Ring flash adapter... the Flash Adapter itself cost me 7.99 and the ringflash thing was 28.99...

I tested it against a Nikon D300 + SB600 Flash unit.... I tested against the LumiQuest Mini Softbox....

Intergit Ring Flash Adater Mounted on the SB600

LumiQuest Mounted On Nikon SB600

Test shots:

Lumiquest:

Interfit:

Overall, i an still running some tests i am happy with the results.... as you can see the lighting is evenly distributed....

Will have Better shots later...

For more information see this video:

Or go to:

http://www.interfitphotographic.com/Strobies/Strobies index.html

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Neither of those is a ring flash. A true ring flash sits around the lens, giving you outward shadows in all direction. It also softens the light by being a relatively large light source.

Those are both just simple plastic "soft boxes" (sort of) that don't do too much as they don't increase the relative light source size. They are more small diffusers than anything else.

Even those silly new plastic ring flash adapters that sit around the lens and hook up to your flash are lousy, as they do not have even light distribution as it all comes from above and is reflected around the ring, vs a true round light source like a profoto or elinchrom ring flash.

Glad you are happy with the results though.

This is a true ring flash, from dynalite.

and this is what the shadows will look like form a true ring flash.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
got it... thanks..... you are right, looks more like a beauty dish then ring flash... :-)
Only about 1/3 the size of a real beauty dish and not reflected... My elinchrom beauty dish is something like 60cm across? Beauty dishes have a reflector in the middle of the dish to create indirect light.