Quantcast

budget steel singlespeeds

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I've pretty much (90%) made the decision to replace my old aluminum hodge-podged together mongoose SS with a half-way decent SS specific bike.

I know that Redline, Kona and Jamis all offer decent builds on steel frames for a reasonable price - any others that I should be looking at?

Basically I want the bike to have a SS-specific steel frame and be under $1000 (preferrably in the $500-$750 range). I haven't decided either way about front suspension or wheel size, so I'm open to rigids and suspension forks, 26ers and 29ers.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Or I'd recommend a Redline Monocog or Monocog flight - in 29er guise of course. The Moncocog 29er is around $460 or so. Flight is closer to a grand but is nicer steel and quicker steering.

Raleigh makes an inexpensive 29er SS

Jensonusa has a complete Voodoo Dambala for about $760.00

Tons of options is I guess what I'm saying.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Are Voodoo bikes any good? Are they on part with Kona, Jamis, etc.? I know of them, but not much about them - are they just a smaller outfit so there's not much talk about them?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
The guy behind Voodoo cycles is Joe Murray - Joe Murray, I believe is also the guy who founded Kona Cycles (or at least designed for Kona back in the day).

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Don't forget about an Azonic Steelhead as an option. It's a bit tight for a trail bike, but it can be done. I've used my Steelhead as a SS trailbike for a few years now.

EDIT: get the XL size for trail riding.