Quantcast

Budget Subwoofer for Computer

budgetrider

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
I took an old unused Clarion 12 inch with a 250 watt car amp then hooked up the amp to the power supply salvaged from an old pentium 1 and Voila! Car bass at home!

Aside from looking ghetto, no overheating problems yet.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
You're going to need a bigger powersupply. Those PC powersupplies are rated to well beyond their actual capability. For example I was using a 15 amp PC powersupply to power a test fixture that was only supposed to draw 8 amps or so, I'm guessing it had a thermal protection circuit of some sort. The powersupply ended up shutting itself down at about 3 amps load. I'm afraid you're going to underpower your amp or overheat your powersupply. I'm guessing your powersupply is 300W or less, I doubt that it can continuously output enough power to sustain an amp that big.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Kornphlake said:
You're going to need a bigger powersupply. Those PC powersupplies are rated to well beyond their actual capability.
:stupid:

Very cool, budget idea, though.

PC power supplies tend to be rated to what they can provide at peak draws - and even then, they're typically far overstated. The subwoofer is going to be continuously drawing a lot of wattage, I think you'll probably fry the power supply. Of course, since it was free, it probably doesn't matter that much - just make sure it doesn't set anything on fire when it goes ;)

budgetrider

Monkey
Jan 23, 2005
The possibility that it might be underpowered did cross my mind. I had a backup plan to run two computer supplies in parallell just in case, but I haven't had to yet.