Quantcast

Buffalo Creek Black Diamond Trail Build Weekend 8/15-8/16

Aug 3, 2009
Bowlda
Calling all mountain bikers: please join us for our final trail building weekend of the season as we continue to construct a sustainable designed-for-mountain-bike trail with advanced features in Buffalo Creek...

The quick and dirty:

With two sucessful weekends behind us, this will be our final trail building weekend of the season for work on a new purpose built "black diamond" level mountain bike trail in the Buffalo Creek area of the Pike National Forest.
You are invited to join COMBA and the Subaru/IMBA Trail Care Crew on August 13th for a free Trailbuilding School. Learn how to build sustainable singletrack and be trained as a volunteer crew leader!
The Trail Care Crew will also join us for the Saturday and Sunday, August 15th and 16th at the Miller Gulch trailhead to train and assist volunteers throughout the trail building weekend.
Volunteers will have the opportunity to work on two different projects. The first project will reroute a section of the Homestead trail, which runs through environmentally sensitive and degrading terrain, by extending Charlie's Cut-off.
The second project will be building advanced features like drops, steep rollers, wall rides on our new "black diamond" level trail.
Following or work on Saturday, COMBA will be hosting a group ride and party for volunteers. Food and beer will be provided that evening and everyone is encouraged to camp and Miller Gulch on Saturday night.
To attend the trail building workshop and/or the trail building weekend, please RSVP at:
http://go.imba.com/site/Calendar/184448899?view=Detail&id=104841

The Story:

This project has been a decade in the making. Construction of this new trail is sponsored by the Colorado Mountain Bike Association (COMBA) and will be built in partnership with the US Forest Service (USFS), Front Range Mountain Bike Patrol (FRMBP), International Mountain Bicycling Association (IMBA), Subaru/IMBA Trail Care Crew, and local bike retailers and manufacturers -- but Keith Clarke and Stu Miller of the FRMBP, Scott Dollus of the South Platte Ranger District of the USFS, and local mountain bike author Tom "Barn" Barnhart deserve special praise their 10 years of work which happened before a tool ever dug into dirt.

This trail will have advanced features like drops, steep rollers, wall rides and other technical problems which utlize the unique local terrain found in Buffalo Creek. Alternate lines will be built around the advanced features to make the trail accessible to a wide audience of experienced mountain bikers.

Our aim is to create a great trail to ride, but also a trail which demonstrates how an advanced mountain bike trail can be built sustainably on public land through volunteer effort and in partnership with local land managers. We hope this project will build a new community of IMBA educated trail builders in the Front Range. Be sure to join us August 13th for a free TCC Trailbuilding School.

This is an unprecedented opportunity to build a new advanced trail on public land in the Front Range, but the project will not succeed without your help. Don't miss out on your last chance to become involved in this project in 2009 by RSVP'ing at:

http://go.imba.com/site/Calendar/184448899?view=Detail&id=104841

For More Information:

Please visit http://www.comba.org/build/current/bcbd and view a gallery of the terrain we will be working on. If you have questions feel free to email jason@comba.org

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Hey, how'd this all turn out? Is this a more all-mountain type trail or will DH bikes be happy here as well?
Also...what town is it near so I know where to start looking(not from CO...)?

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
If you go to google maps, and search "Buffalo Creek, CO" you'll get the general vicinity, though it doesn't show any of the trails. Get out there, I haven't ridden the new stuff, but what I have is super fun.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Well...we're from EASTERN South Dakota. We know sufferring... Intimately!
Bikes will be a Mongoose Khyber(me), a Blindside and hopefully a new Pinn'R in our crew. So all will be pedalable/pushable, As long as the end result is even a version of fast, MOSTLY downhill XC with some flow!

Basically, we're heading to CO 3rd weekend of September to ride Winter park and Solvista, and I THINK we have thursday evening and Friday free...I still haven't checked a map to see if this is even close yet, but sounds like it might be a fun way to fill up some free time.

Anyone wanna join/guide for beers or soda?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Well...we're from EASTERN South Dakota. We know sufferring... Intimately!
Bikes will be a Mongoose Khyber(me), a Blindside and hopefully a new Pinn'R in our crew. So all will be pedalable/pushable, As long as the end result is even a version of fast, MOSTLY downhill XC with some flow!

Basically, we're heading to CO 3rd weekend of September to ride Winter park and Solvista, and I THINK we have thursday evening and Friday free...I still haven't checked a map to see if this is even close yet, but sounds like it might be a fun way to fill up some free time.

Anyone wanna join/guide for beers or soda?
Oooh... sorry. Hate to rain on the parade, but this trail is NOT finished and is NOT currently rideable. You'll have to come back next season, when it's slated to be finished. :thumb:

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Hey, no sweat at all. Actually, I REALLY wish I had more time(or friggin lived in a damn bike-friendly state!) as I'm a trail building FANATIC! I can't even imagine what it would be like to work on a legit trail!
I'm 37 years old right now...spent ELEVEN YEARS trying to get SOMETHING going here. Had Redbull help out, local shops, etc...just couldn't get it to fire off. Too much of the agricultural, bassackwards attitudes here... "Bikes are for six year olds."

Next year then... my lil bro jsut opened a new tattoo shop in Denver, so I'll be down quite often.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Hey, no sweat at all. Actually, I REALLY wish I had more time(or friggin lived in a damn bike-friendly state!) as I'm a trail building FANATIC! I can't even imagine what it would be like to work on a legit trail!
I'm 37 years old right now...spent ELEVEN YEARS trying to get SOMETHING going here. Had Redbull help out, local shops, etc...just couldn't get it to fire off. Too much of the agricultural, bassackwards attitudes here... "Bikes are for six year olds."

Next year then... my lil bro jsut opened a new tattoo shop in Denver, so I'll be down quite often.
Well... there ya go! Coordinate one of you trips with one of the trail-building weekends on the black diamond trail in Buff Crik! :thumb:

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Already locked in as a plan!

Can I bug you for a bit more direction? I'm after the absolute smoothest, most flowing line I can find. Think bobsled run...with flowery hippie background music...sung by a smooth talkin pimp type flow...
Anything like that in that area?? I'm a fan of low altitude drop style descents, stuff you have to pedal and have total control over speed, versus straight blumb-bobs down a cliff face. I'm REALLY looking forward to Silky Johnson in Solvista...but perhaps not the traffic I'm most likely going to encounter.