Quantcast

Buffalo NAS

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
I have a Buffalo NAS, with 1 terrabyte of storage. Two disc in Raid 1 configuration. I'm trying to upgrade the storage to 4 terrabytes. Got the new drives, and swapped 1 drive out, NAS saw the drive as 4 terrabytes, and formatted to same. I understand that the raid would not rebuild with unequal drives. I tried to install the 2 4 terrabyte drives and initialize the NAS. No joy. I've tried to reinstall the 1 terrabyte drives, and again, no joy. I have no idea why this is happening. The NAS will not boot and recognize usable space on any drives. When it boots with the 1 terrabyte drive installed, I cannot log into the web based utility to configure the NAS. Using the Buffalo Utility, the NAS comes up in "EM Mode", which is emergency mode. The documentation says to upgrade the firmware if that happens, but the NAS won't allow me to do that. I don't know if there is a "hard reset" button, but I don't think so. What am I missing?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
There's a way to hard reset the NAS, I had one at work for a while.

Google sez:

• Hold down the power button for 8 seconds. The Terastation will shut down after about 30 seconds.
  • While holding down the function button, press the power button. The Terastation will power on and the function LED will begin to flash blue.
  • While the function LED is still flashing, hold the function button down for six seconds

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Hmm, I dunno. There must be a way to get it going again, instead of becoming an expensive brick.

Are you able to ping it, with it powered on and plugged into your network?

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
Comes up with an IP address, but the workgroup identifier says UNKNOWN. It was only a little over $100 to get a new discless enclosure, since I already had the 2 4terrabyte drives. Device is now rebuilding/copying data to a RAID 1 configuration.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
What do you mean by Workgroup Identifier? How are you getting that information? Screenshot?

There could be other ways of flashing a custom Linux based OS onto it (which it probably already has), which would allow you to SSH to it as root and do whatever you please with it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
If you know the IP, can you access it by entering the IP into a web browser? It should have an HTTP server built into it and will omit using what can be buggy management software.

Also..........this might be a total derpderp moment, but I think this model only supports up to two 1tb drives, if I am reading this correctly;

http://www.buffalo-technology.com/products/storage-devices/consumer-nas/linkstationtm/linkstation-trade-mini/

If you click on Specifications, it will list the supported capacities. Though, it isn't very clear if those are the MAX supported capacities or what is delivered with the product. But that could be why you had trouble in the first place...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I have a good feeling that this thing isn't totally bricked. It does sound like it won't accept anything over 2gb.

Though, did you replace it with the exact same model?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
As long as you aren't using RAID 1 as your backup strategy..... :nerd:

I have something very similar to this Buffalo box. Even if its a little more expensive than repurposing an old computer, the convenience of being able to grab the device that's the size of two tall boys has been great. If my friends/family want some content that I have, I just bring the entire box over to them. Lugging a desktop around is a pain.

As for this one in particular;

Its still good, its still good...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
As long as you aren't using RAID 1 as your backup strategy..... :nerd:

I have something very similar to this Buffalo box. Even if its a little more expensive than repurposing an old computer, the convenience of being able to grab the device that's the size of two tall boys has been great.
You mean... like an external USB drive? :think:

I've always been curious what is the main draw for people with these NAS things...?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've got a Synology 2-disk NAS.

I could do 2-disk mirroring in the desktop, of course, but that puts all of my online copies inside one piece of electronics. Keeping it external to the computer means that, if my power supply decides to cook everything attached to it, the NAS is unaffected since it's autonomous.

You can do RAID 1 in a USB device, but they're fairly expensive anyway and don't get you away from having to attach it to the desktop directly and leave your desktop powered on.

There are a few other advantages, like access from any network attached system without my desktop needing to be powered on. The Synology apps are nice, since I can do my Google Drive or other syncs/backups without leaving my desktop running - and actually the whole OS they run on them is quite good.

There are ways to accomplish most of this stuff but at the end of the day the Synology was a clean, simple solution to all of those problems without investing a lot of time.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Plus most of these things come with some blinking lights. We all know how cool blinking lights are.

Another benefit that I like, is that with the smaller size of these things they can be "hidden" pretty easily. Stick it in a closet or somewhere and you'll eliminate most of the risk of having your stuff stolen if someone decides to break into your house. Which has happened to me.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I've had it happen to me as well but I stage my backups with the assumption that a disaster in my house (flood, fire, break-in) would remove 100% of the electronics I own.

Because during the last break-in, that was the case. They even stole my sleeve full of backup DVDs.