Quantcast

bug out bag

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
i have always had the idea of putting together a "bug out bag" and now with all these "prepper" shows on tv, my fiance and i are starting to get serious about putting together the essentials for ourselves and our dogs. stupid? maybe. but i always like to be prepared for every situation i put my self in and this would be no different.
i dont think the magnetic poles will switch, or the super volcano in Yellowstone will go off or getting nuclear fallout from Fukushima or any other crazy stuff like that. the only realistic thing that i could think of, would be some sort of terroristic threat.

does anyone else keep one ready? and if so, whats in your gettup?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
steve, the magnetic poles WILL switch again. it only happens every half million years or so, and takes quite a long time to for the switch to occur - we're talking upwards of decades

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
steve, the magnetic poles WILL switch again. it only happens every half million years or so, and takes quite a long time to for the switch to occur - we're talking upwards of decades
jon, sorry i left out all the pertinent info. what i obviously neglected to say, was that it wont happen in my lifetime. it also last happened 750k years ago and generally takes 1000-10000 years, if you want to get all technical.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
jon, sorry i left out all the pertinent info. what i obviously neglected to say, was that it wont happen in my lifetime. it also last happened 750k years ago and generally takes 1000-10000 years, if you want to get all technical.
this kind of information is important if you are the highlander.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
And that Westy is why you need to own a motorbike...... your riding a bit slower but "What traffic jam??" ;)
Don't talk to me, I live on a boat. I have a bug-out-home. Fresh water could be a problem when it is dry. Crab traps and fishing poles can keep me fed for quite a while.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Mine is a pelican case and a 60lb pack and an ammo carrier. Really don't want to do the walk of pain in it, but its just like boot camp all over again.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I walked with the pack the other day up Squaw peak. It sucked, I took a week to do it, but I got it done and back to the truck. I didn't think throwing the rifle on and walking in public was a good idea.

I can still do it, I can still hack it, but I just do it in slow motion.

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
I don't yet but I plan on getting something together. Not so much as I believe that Obama is going to personally kick my door in one day and come and take my guns and make me marry a man but for the fact that I live in a bushfire prone area and we are overdue for some smoke. will be simple clothing, radio, torch and some form of electronic backups of documents rather than a shipping container full of ammo though.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
No need to plan. Primal instincts will kick in and people will just kill you for all of your fancy survival sh!t Just be one of those guys- stealing, killing with pieces of rebar, you know, hardcore and stuff.

Last edited:

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Backpacking supplies. Water filter. Guns and ammo. I want a bow and arrow... easier to make arrows than ammo... our subaru and we have a destination. Personally, I would like this day to hurry up. Sounds like an extended camping trip to me. Sounds like no more desk job. Just working the land, hunting our food, and working to stay alive.

...in fact... who needs to wait for an apocolypse? Why not just go off the grid and move into an earthship?

http://earthship.com/

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Don't talk to me, I live on a boat. I have a bug-out-home. Fresh water could be a problem when it is dry. Crab traps and fishing poles can keep me fed for quite a while.
does your pooch stay with you on the boat?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Backpacking supplies. Water filter. Guns and ammo. I want a bow and arrow... easier to make arrows than ammo... our subaru and we have a destination. Personally, I would like this day to hurry up. Sounds like an extended camping trip to me. Sounds like no more desk job. Just working the land, hunting our food, and working to stay alive.

...in fact... who needs to wait for an apocolypse? Why not just go off the grid and move into an earthship?

http://earthship.com/

i cut up enough pallets as a kid for kindling to build a mcmansion or two....

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
My bugout bag contains my motorcycle keys and my hospital ID. Why spend one's own money on sad little shelters when there's a well constructed building with its own food and backup power supplies that I could just walk into?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Hasn't this same thread happened like 433436 times already?
sorry syadasti, i didnt see it or any of the other 433435 threads apparently

My bugout bag contains my motorcycle keys and my hospital ID. Why spend one's own money on sad little shelters when there's a well constructed building with its own food and backup power supplies that I could just walk into?
because when hoardes of people go looking for meds and supplies, your fancy hospital will be on their hit list

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Watched a few episodes of that prepper show last night. There seemed to be a common theme between most of the featured guests, they were ****ing morons. I like how most of them were preparing for the next great depression by hoarding guns, you because the last great depression was plagued with roaming hoards of zombies and drawn out firefights.

Last edited: