Quantcast

Buggy Apple OS And Safari Patched

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Start patching - I updated a few hours ago...

GARGANTUAN OS X UPDATE FIXES ALMOST 100 SECURITY FLAWS

SEVERITY: HIGH

18 March, 2008

SUMMARY:

* These vulnerabilities affect: OS X 10.4.x (Tiger) and OS X 10.5.x
(Leopard), both client and server versions

* How an attacker exploits them: Multiple vectors of attack,
including enticing one of your users into visiting a URL or web site

* Impact: Various results; in the worst case, attacker executes code
on your user's computer, potentially gaining complete of your user's
computer

* What to do: OS X administrators should download, test and install
Security Update 2008-002:http://tinyurl.com/2r3nbd
Safari 3 buggy and slower than Firefox 3 beta too:happydance:

Today, Apple released a security update fixing thirteen security issues in Safari 3 for OS X and Windows. The worst of these vulnerabilities potentially allows attackers to execute malicious code on your Safari user's machines. If you use Safari in your network -- whether on a PC or Mac -- you should update to version 3.1 as soon as you can. Some of the fixed vulnerabilities include:

-Webkit buffer overflow vulnerability
-Safari certificate spoofing vulnerability
-Multiple XSS vulnerabilities in Safari

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=307563

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Latest Safari is pretty crappy I have to admit. Hopefully this will improve things.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
first hour using safari.

it's now my default browser on my work laptop.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
so far, every shortcut key combo has worked out for me.
didn't know about ff3 (still on 2.0 on my desktop), but i have to give this due diligence. it's sooooo nice, and for a yet-to-be-explained reason, isn't as hesitant & cpu hungry.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
ok, i'll be using safari until then. it's just become an unbearable hog. i'm pretty sure the fact that i keep 999 days of history doesn't help, but something is gumming up the works & i've taken all addons off & done all the other "tricks" you find when googling.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
ok, i'll be using safari until then. it's just become an unbearable hog. i'm pretty sure the fact that i keep 999 days of history doesn't help, but something is gumming up the works & i've taken all addons off & done all the other "tricks" you find when googling.
FF2 is still faster than the latest Safari for me as I have extensions that cut down on the crap it has to load - adblock, noscript (sometimes), flashblock (always), and fasterfox (within RFC) plus various about:config tweaks.

I haven't tried Opera in a while but before FF2 and all those great extensions for FF, it was faster for me...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT