Quantcast

Bugs

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
We have all done it at some point, inhaled an insect while riding. Or as I like to call them, APS, airborne protein supplement.

So what happens to them if the get in your lungs ? Do they dissolve or eventually get hacked up ?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
last year I was stung by bees on three different rides....one of the times the bee hit my glasses (thankfully I was wearing glasses), slid down to my upper cheek and stung me! It was a hot day and I sweaty, it hurt like hell...plus my face swelled up. It looked like I had been punched :(

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I've been stung a few time while riding. Twice bees got trapped in my jersey. Each time I ended up hopping off the bike, running down the trail pulling my jersey off and flailing like an idiot. On one ride I had to use the pliers on my mini tool to get the stinger out. The venom sack was still attached and pumping away. Creepy. Thankfully no one came up on my pasty white, fat, half naked ass.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I've been stung a couple of strange times on a ride....ground bees managed to get into my 661 leg guards and sting me a few times before I started beating the crap out of myself 'cause I couldn't get them off fast enough. Another time, I got stung on the tongue when I was saying "car back" to the people in front of me on a roadie ride. I swelled up nicely and was actually a little worried because my mother is allergic to bees...thankfully I just needed a little benedryl and beer and I was fine.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Everytime I get stung on a ride I seem to have a great ride afterwards. I think the sting causes a nice burst of endorphins. The UCI should be checking for bee nests inside team cars.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I seem to get more in my eyes than anything.

Normally, they stick to the mucous on the sides of your breathing tubes and little hairs called cilia (sp?) sweep them up along with all the dust and crap you normally inhale, and you cough it up or swallow it. Unless you smoke...then it just hangs out because those nifty little hairs are paralyzed.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I'm severely allergic to bees. Got a bee caught in my full face (on a trail named Beehive appropriately) on Saturday, took my epipen and still woke up with my eye swollen shut on Monday. :banghead:

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I'm severely allergic to bees. Got a bee caught in my full face (on a trail named Beehive appropriately) on Saturday, took my epipen and still woke up with my eye swollen shut on Monday. :banghead:
That sucks dude.

I've seen ground nesting yellow jackets on that trail. It's not exactly an easy trail to just stop on in some sections. Steeeeep and techy. They are some nasty little fvckers.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
I got an insect of some sort deep into my ear canal once. It buzzed and tried to get out for close to 5 minutes. I was hitting my head (like trying to get water out of your ear) so hard that I almost gave myself a concussion. I thought I was going to go crazy and jump off a 200 ft cliff. Thee worstest.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I have a friend that got stung on the lip while riding. Looked funny as hell. DSL's.

I've been stung when they'd fly down my jersey. Sucks. They just kept stinging over and over until i got my camelback off. THe strap had trapped it near my ribs.