Quantcast

Building a Beer Cellar

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
I'm putting together a beer cellar and want to know what people are people's fav's...I'm a little bummed that some of the one's I want to add I can't get (Great Divide, Russian River, Alaskan) but will start with what I can get.

What's everyone like?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
If I was to ever make a beer cellar, I would model it after the collection found here:

http://www.warehousecafe.net/

A small bar/cafe in Port Costa, CA.

You go into their walk-in cooler, and choose your beer, then go pay at the bar.

Problem: 450 beers to choose from. Dress warm, you are going to be in there a LONG time.

Bonus: Steak or lobster for dinner, and then you can spend the night in the scariest hotel in the USA across the street, the Burlington Hotel. (former brothel, super creepy and run-down)

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Just about any 22 oz bottle of Rogue you can get will make fine additions to your collection.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
The beers from Ommegang cellar nicely.

What are the details on the physical cellar? Is it a dedicated area of the basement? dedicated room? dedicated fridge?

I was reading an article the other day on beer serving and storage temperatures. It stated that the Brits are storing and serving too warm, and the Americans store too warm and serve too cold. Apparently the ideal temperature for both is in the mid to upper-50's. I'll see if I can find a link if you're interested.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
BikeGeek said:
The beers from Ommegang cellar nicely.

What are the details on the physical cellar? Is it a dedicated area of the basement? dedicated room? dedicated fridge?

I was reading an article the other day on beer serving and storage temperatures. It stated that the Brits are storing and serving too warm, and the Americans store too warm and serve too cold. Apparently the ideal temperature for both is in the mid to upper-50's. I'll see if I can find a link if you're interested.
I like Ommegang...They have a Belgian Quadruple I had a couple weeks ago...I'm still looking for my socks.

The Cellar right now is likely to start off as a dedicated part of my basement. I may need to get some sort of refridgeration though b/c I think it may push the 60 level in the dog days of the summer...I got a thermometer and will watch as we start to warm up.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I think "beer cellar" is where he and his buddies will drink, play cards, watch football and talk about boobies, lots of boobies.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
SkaredShtles said:
Is there really much beer that ages well? I've heard some of the Belgian stuff does, but most ales and such should be drunk early, should they not?

Or is this "beer cellar" not for aging?
For aging, It'll be mostly made up of Belgians, Barleywines, and some Imperial IPA's. Basically all high alcohol stuff that ages pretty well.

LordOpie said:
I think "beer cellar" is where he and his buddies will drink, play cards, watch football and talk about boobies, lots of boobies.
And of course I'll need a good spread of other beer that doesn't age well for doing things like talking about boobies.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
dogwonder said:
The Cellar right now is likely to start off as a dedicated part of my basement. I may need to get some sort of refridgeration though b/c I think it may push the 60 level in the dog days of the summer...I got a thermometer and will watch as we start to warm up.
A buddy of mine actually built a small (6'x6') room in a corner of his basement. He insulated the entire room with that pink foam-board insulation, then built shelves along each wall. In one wall he mounted an air conditioner plugged in to an external thermostat with a probe that ran in to the room. With the AC set at max cooling, the external thermostat controls the power to the unit to keep a pretty consistant temperature. It's a pretty slick setup.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
bluebug32 said:
Post-ride party at your house! ;)

I'm assuming you've been to Halftime? I've made some great discoveries there
Of course!!! I love the growler option as well. I tried a Blonde Bock this weekend...mmmmmmmmmm...tasty.

I'm bummed the ride on Saturday didn't pan out. I had a good spread of post-ride beve's lined up. Oh well, add them to the cellar for the next time!

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Forgive me for beeing clueless....but, does beer age well? Or is this just like a place to hoard hard to find bottles?

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
TN said:
Forgive me for beeing clueless....but, does beer age well? Or is this just like a place to hoard hard to find bottles?
Little bit of both. Some beer can age well. Mostly the higher alcohol beers like Belgian Strong Ales, Barleywines, and Imperial Stouts. Mostly I'm looking for a good spread and if I have some that doesn't age well...well then...Cheers!

Raacerx

Monkey
Im a fan of trying every single beer a brewery produces, including those hard to find niche beers. So far, the 4 most outstanding breweries I have been satisfied with go in this order, from best to 4th best. My absolute favorite from each one is listed.

Lagunitas Brewing Company (Censored Ale)
Anderson Valley Brewing (Boont Amber Ale)
Rogue Brewing Company (Hazlenut Brown Nector Ale)
Samuel Smith (Hazlenut Brown Ale, however for summer days the Organic Ale is wonderful)

All of those brewies offer a wide range of tastes from easy smooth summer ales to the knarly 10%+ stuff, but most specifically, they are all relatively easily obtained. My favorite is Lagunitas, and Ive recently been able to work with them and their awesome beer aside, their company just rocks. No one else is as personal.