Quantcast

Building a bike for my wife, could use some advice

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
So since my wife has been such an ass kicker this year, having learned how to fly planes and helicopters, and just for being so great, I want to build her up a bike.

Currently she has a 2005 Specialized Stump Jumper FS, with all the pretty and strong king parts you could shake a stick at, and she loves that for XC and little drops.

She's 5'6", weighs about 140lbs, is a strong rider, and is a little too long in the torso for most of the WSD/Girl bikes.

However, we're moving up to Seattle the end of April, so I wanted to build her something a little more Whistler/free ride appropriate.

I was thinking a build something like this:

Frame: Santa Cruz Bullit with a Fox DXH 5.0
Hubs: King 150mm Pink in the rear, 20mm up front
Rims: Mavic 819
Seat and Stem: Thomson
Bar: Pink Deity
Brakes, drive train (sans derail), cranks: Shimano Saint
Derail: Sram x9 with x9 shifters and chain

What I need help on is:
- What fork? Marzocchi 66, Fox 36?
- What tires? She has "issues" with Nevagals getting out from under her.
- Seat? Another Terry Pink? She loves the one she has, why remake the wheel, right?

I want this to be a surprise for her, hence why she's not in on the build.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Damn! You wanna build me one too ;)

Actually, to answer your questions, I would recommend:
1. Fork: Fox 36. I have loved my FOX fork and if my memory serves me correctly, it's a bit more adjustable than the Marzocchi. It's also lighter (about a half pound) and for someone her size, she will probably have better luck with the lighter of the two.

2. Tires: I have had good luck with the Kenda Kinetics on my DH bike I too wasn't impressed with the Nevagals when I tried them.

3. Seat: Terry doesn't make the all pink version of the butterfly anymore...it's black with a pink ribbon embroidered on it and it's a solid seat. I also like the FalconX saddle too and I have a damselfly as well...I would go with what's the most comfy, but not too long so she can get behind it when she needs to. For DH/Freeride she won't be spending too much time in the saddle anyway.

That's my $.02

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
While I'd love to, I think my wife would take it personal if I started building bikes for other women. She's funny like that.

I agree with the idea of the 36, that's what I have on my Nomad, and once I got it tuned right I have been very, very happy with it.

I am sort of off of Kenda right now. We had a sponsor thing with them last year, and could never get any tires. It would take five, six weeks to get them. I am thinking a combo of Maxxis or Michelin products are in the future of that bike.

Terry got rid of the power pink seat? Say it ain't so! That's one of her favorite things on her bike currently.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
While I'd love to, I think my wife would take it personal if I started building bikes for other women. She's funny like that.

I agree with the idea of the 36, that's what I have on my Nomad, and once I got it tuned right I have been very, very happy with it.

I am sort of off of Kenda right now. We had a sponsor thing with them last year, and could never get any tires. It would take five, six weeks to get them. I am thinking a combo of Maxxis or Michelin products are in the future of that bike.

Terry got rid of the power pink seat? Say it ain't so! That's one of her favorite things on her bike currently.
LOL!

I was sponsored by Kenda last year and there were times when it took a while to get tires, but I seemed to have good luck with them and am continuing to race for them this year.

Terry got ride of the butterfly in pink (called the Donna Butterfly and is not black with a pink ribbon embroidered on it), but you can still get the Damselfly in pink. They also offer a saddle called the Rosie that comes in black with pink details or all pink with the Terry's "Ride Like a Girl slogan & symbol, but these are "recreational saddles" and probably not what she's looking for. I'm not sure which you wife is currently running but I put the links in for you to check out.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
That's not a bad idea.

Now just to work out how to pay for all of this...

sperkins

Monkey
Feb 26, 2008
You should probably just casually ask for some tips from your wife so that it will still be a surprise!

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
She's pretty quick.
I ask about something, she pretty much knows my impulse control is 0, so it ends up getting bought

RAMNATION1

Chimp
Oct 24, 2007
LMAO I was just going to post MAKE SURE SHE WANTS ONE! LMAO and make sure she gets her digs in when it's time to make a decision for the final result. She may surprise you and know what she's looking for and want a specific thing...

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
i built a bike for my wife last year, and she really liked it, she is pretty much the same size as your wife. the big things she liked that were different from her other bike, i put a Fox Talas 36RC2, its lighter, has more adjustments and just feels better. also i went for a Fox DHX 5.0 Air rear shock, also a very nice and much appreciated improvement. on a smaller note, i put dangerboy levers on the avid brakes, gave her more leverage and better grip, which helped her to brake better and helped her to hold on better, (using one finger pull instead of two) i also put a lock on grip with a slightly bigger outside diameter, more cushion but also easier to hold onto. just a few things to think about.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I have a powder coater here I could take it all to.

Pink Bullit, cranks, bar, fork
silver stem, post, levers and spokes.