Quantcast

Building a dirt jumper

shanekats

Chimp
Nov 9, 2006
Hey everyone

Just wondering if anyone could give some thoughts on the best (somewhat affordable) brakes for a dirt jumper.. my gf won a nice lil cove frame at pshychosis - anyone ride Golden, BC ? - and she is building it up, i wanna buy her a brake set for xmas but wanna make sure i get the right kind for what she wants.. any advice would be appreciated!!

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
Saints... they are on sale at universal cycles... I picked up a set for $126 on ebay for 2 - 203mm no levers.

shanekats

Chimp
Nov 9, 2006
Ya i just checked that out and saints seem to have nothing but good reviews. Are hydraulic disc brakes the way to go for dirtjumping? Or is Cable more ideal? Or does it even matter?

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
dirt jumper brakes get bashed around alot and cable acutated are less likely to be damaged (no blown cylinders, etc) during a crash but you can't beat the stopping power of a hydro

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
If you will be riding dirt jumps exclusively, a nice pair of V-brakes will work wonderfully. If you must go disc, get Avid BB7 mech. discs with an Avid lever. They have tremendous stopping power when set up properly, which isn't too difficult.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
If you will be riding dirt jumps exclusively, a nice pair of V-brakes will work wonderfully. If you must go disc, get Avid BB7 mech. discs with an Avid lever. They have tremendous stopping power when set up properly, which isn't too difficult.
Exactly.