Quantcast

Building a Mini-ramp

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
So like the title says, Im trying to build a miniramp. For those of you who have miniramps and similar wooden bicycle playgrounds at home, where did you get all of your wood from? I have built quarter-pipes before and have a decent amount of experience with woodwork, but the real problem for me would be getting all the wood, as the ramp I am planning to construct would require alot... Buying it all from home depot or a lumber yard would be way out of my price range. Maybe get in contact with contractors and see if they have any extra/scrap wood they don't need? I'm looking to build a ramp similar to this one:

I've roughly estimated that a ramp of those dimensions would cost well over $400 in wood if I were to purchase from a hardware store or lumber yard..:twitch: I know I have seen at least a few people on here with fun looking ramps at their house, how did you guys go about building them? Any advice/suggestions are appriciated.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
So like the title says, Im trying to build a miniramp. For those of you who have miniramps and similar wooden bicycle playgrounds at home, where did you get all of your wood from? I have built quarter-pipes before and have a decent amount of experience with woodwork, but the real problem for me would be getting all the wood, as the ramp I am planning to construct would require alot... Buying it all from home depot or a lumber yard would be way out of my price range. Maybe get in contact with contractors and see if they have any extra/scrap wood they don't need? I'm looking to build a ramp similar to this one:

I've roughly estimated that a ramp of those dimensions would cost well over $400 in wood if I were to purchase from a hardware store or lumber yard..:twitch: I know I have seen at least a few people on here with fun looking ramps at their house, how did you guys go about building them? Any advice/suggestions are appriciated.

i'm pretty sure it would be way more than $400. a friend of mine built a 16' wide 5ft tall regular mini (no spine) and he said it cost him close to $2000.

4x8 sheets of ply are like $15-$30 depending on thickness and quality. you'd probably need 20 sheets just to do one surface layer. then a second layer is another 20. (all good ramps have two layers of surface ply).

check out some of the ramp projects in the forums on http://rampplans.org/

as for how do you get cheap wood..... construction sites throw away a lot of wood, so check the dumpsters. sometimes they will throw away sheets of ply just for having staples in them . . . or anything that is cut smaller than 4X8.

Last edited:

mr.c

Chimp
Jul 16, 2008
el doraod hills, ca
i work construction and i know that the work site at the end of the day has more wood that gets trashed than anything, we huck plywood if it has a ****ed up corner or if there is a nail in it. bosses orders. they throw away wood like its free, hop in your car and go to a housing development and grab some scrap lumber from all the job sites and you will probably have almost all you need

newrider3

Monkey
Oct 13, 2007
Colorado
Definitely. I've built many different projects for nothing more than the cost of screws because they throw out so much lumber.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
If you can't find scrap be prepared to drop at least $1200, maybe more. I'm looking to build a setup in my back yard as well and thats the reality of it. Skatelite goes for over $100 a sheet, so if you really want a nice setup be prepared to drop a ton.

grom-dom

Turbo Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Chapel Thrill
true that. build dirt jumps man.

as far as getting wood goes, friend and i almost got arrested getting wood from a construction site. no bueno. good luck if you do

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
true that. build dirt jumps man.

as far as getting wood goes, friend and i almost got arrested getting wood from a construction site. no bueno. good luck if you do
I would love to build dirt jumps at my house, but lack of space has kept that only a dream. The only thing I could build would be a ramp, and that unfortunately would take up the majority of my yard..:dead: I'll see If I can get some wood from construction sites.. Maybe ask some workers if they have leftover or fvcked up wood? I think the plywood would be the easy part, the 2x4s are what I would need the most of and they would end up costing a small fortune.

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
haha, you could build your ramp out of dirt
i've heard good things about using wood as coping.
I'd also have to haul in dirt for anything I would build with dirt. The dirt in my yard is of terrible quality, and bringing in dirt would mean tearing out a section of fence to dump it. Waaaay too much effort..:huh:

stinky6

Monkey
Dec 24, 2004
Monroe
the ramp in this video was built from almost 100% scrap. http://www.pinkbike.com/video/7463/

The guy that built it is a carpenter and he didn't use big sheets of ply wood, just lots of little pieces, especially in the corners. The ramp feels a little weird in places, but its super fun. Good luck.

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
Or vick fresh wood from construction sites. Nothing like being chased by the pigs to wake your ass up.
Done it before and got enough wood to build a ladder course in my friends backyard, had a few close calls with pigs but luckily never got wrapped. Can't exactly carry it all by hand, and its a bit harder to evade police while trying to load wood into your homies pickup...