Quantcast

building a purpose build dirt bike

six7seta

Chimp
Oct 12, 2006
st louis
so Ive been debating about building a budget built SS jump bike. Ive done a few bikes, but its always been with whatever parts I had. Just wanted a few pointers on frame style and must have parts on it. Thanks.

HBFR33R!D3

Monkey
Jun 5, 2007
huntington beach
frame: would probably go with black market mob or riot depending on your price range, ns suburban, transition top, simple bike co

fork: again depending on price argyle 318 or 409, marzo dj1 or 4x, pike

dont know much about anything else so that's all i can help you with

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
frame: would probably go with black market mob or riot depending on your price range, ns suburban, transition top, simple bike co

fork: again depending on price argyle 318 or 409, marzo dj1 or 4x, pike

dont know much about anything else so that's all i can help you with
woah dude!! he said "budget" build. you're already $700+ or $1000 on the frame and fork only.

the best "budget" bike is to buy a complete. check craigslist for DK Xenia, Trek Jack, a used Specialized P1 or P2, Haro Thread, etc.

if u really are going to cheap out on this, you could get a small frame xc bike with a low top tube, (like a girl would ride), then put some decent pedals and a DJ stem on it. not recommended though.

six7seta

Chimp
Oct 12, 2006
st louis
i was looking at the azonic steelhead frame for $150.. http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/16871-175_AZOSH7-3-Parts-60-Frames/Azonic-Steelhead-Frame-2007.htm basing on BMX dirt bikes I assume its best to have the top tube and seat stay close as possible to the same angle?

then getting a craiglist bike for all the brakes, seat, headset, cranks and so on. what parts should i really put the $$$ towards? fork? wheel set? Like I said I've built from misc part bikes, but this time want to make one built to jump.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2008
woah dude!! he said "budget" build. you're already $700+ or $1000 on the frame and fork only.

the best "budget" bike is to buy a complete. check craigslist for DK Xenia, Trek Jack, a used Specialized P1 or P2, Haro Thread, etc.

if u really are going to cheap out on this, you could get a small frame xc bike with a low top tube, (like a girl would ride), then put some decent pedals and a DJ stem on it. not recommended though.

I've been looking high and low for a Xenia now for a week to no avail. Jensons has the Eastern Thunderbird right now for 699 and people seem to love them.