Quantcast

Building a trick jump... advice please

Feb 5, 2010
Westminster, CO
I have a 6' tall wood jump lying around, and I want to set it up at my current trails as a trick jump. The terrain at my spot is very flat and open with a slight downhill slope in the direction of the lines (hence, nowhere to really put a step-up).

-With the way I built the wood lip, I can make the takeoff angle anything I want. What angle is best for learning tricks?

-What would you recommend I make my landing pile out of? I'll use regular dirt to build the bulk of it, but I wan to put a layer of something foregiving on top. I've seen woodchip piles, or maybe sand like long jumpers use in track and field.

-What shape/angle should I make the landing heap, I was thinking of making it a little taller than the lip, maybe 7-8ft

I've been jumping and building for years, but never tried tricks, so I want somewhere to learn without wrecking myself left and right. Any advice from someone who has built one would be great.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Even though you said your area is flat, super-step-ups really are the best trick-learning jumps. Are you able to run a backhoe at your spot ?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Another important thing is that the runout of the landing be higher than the bottom of the bowl for the lip. That way you're going slower when you land on your head. :D

Less elevation to fall from to accelerate on the crash and all that.....

Feb 5, 2010
Westminster, CO
So I guess step-up is the consensus then. I guess I'll just have to do some serious excavation on the run in bowl, all by hand, unfortunately. The city lets us build whatever we want on this piece of land, but we can't use any motorized vehicles. In a lot of videos I've seen, it looks like raked out, sandy soil is the best landing surface, has anyone tried wood chips or any other materials?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I've got a mulch landing I've built up for a wood lip. It works and it's a little easier to shovel back in place than sand. Just make sure you get all the sticks out......you WILL get impaled if you don't. Watered sand is the best landing surface in my opinion but that's not always feasible.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
CMC. Did anyone ever rebuild / build the step-up at p-ville? Perfect spot for a trick jump!
True. :thumb: Abel and I are planning on that. I'll holla at ya when Abel (the TB) wants to start on it....

. . . . .

and a little step-up inspiration (some have been posted before)

(Z.Dank Crew)

not much of a trick.... but good perspective on a steep step-up to flat....

Last edited: