Quantcast

Building Bridges to help out ALL trail users

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
So I got up butt early today (hey, for me, 7:45 is early!) and went out to a new trail to help build a bridge to up a rock that previously you had to climb a pallet to get up. I met F500sl out there, and some people from his site, Cycling Central Virginia , and some other local trail builders and riders. This bridge is for all trail users, not just us bikers. (yes, I CAN do somthing besides build FR stunts and cut DH courses :) )

All of the lumber for this project was donated, and I wish I could remember the name of the company to give them some credit.

Here are some pictures of what we accomplished:

This is what it looked like before we started: (see the pallet, thats what you had to climb before)

This is just SOME of the wood that was donated. (the total was over $800 worth of wood, and $100 of hardware)

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
We had a few people come through, two walkers with dogs, and two riders, and they were all appreciative. I'm gonna go ride the trail tomorrow and see how it is :D

It was a SERIOUS Team effort, we met there at 8:30ish, started work around 9, and were packed up by 2ish. It went WAY faster than any of us had imagined it would!

Good job everyone that was out today!

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I don't think there are many horses in Richmond, but i'm sure it would hold up to them if there were ;)

We were looking at lines all over that place for skinnys and chutes and all that. buuuuuut, we were there with the legal trail guys. Maybe we'll go back at a later date... :devil:

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
That's great! Wish we had more people in my area that were willing to help with trail building. Seems everyone around here wants to ride the trails, but it's always the same 5 (or so) of us that build/work on the trails. Ask Treesaw, she knows what I mean.

F5000sl

Chimp
Nov 18, 2003
Richmond
MtnbikeMike said:
VERY nice. How's it going to hold up to horses? Do equestrains frequent that trail?

Good point, but I don't think we have to worry about that on this trail.

The turnout was great and everything was well planned out.
I was shocked at how well and quickly everything went. Cobblestone bikes and AC Bruce led this project.
:thumb:

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Now people cant drop it!

It does look a little over built with the railings. I would have left after the bridge was up. :D

BTW: those are some crazy vines. :eek: