Quantcast

Building, DH, and minor hucking action in Vista

Cory and i have been doing alot of work recently on our DH trails down the street, and have been doing some DH on the southern trail on the volcano in Calaveras, along with some hucking along the north face of it...
heres some phone pics and vids of the recent action:

a new giant step down were building, 30-35' out x 5-6' down:

a 30 or so foot long berm directly into a fun 8' gap:

a super fun 6' down drop/gap over a few boulders:

and now some horrible quality phone vids of the DHing and small hucking out in calaveras:
1st part of the southern trail:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p223/XCSlayer/?action=view&current=dbdsec.flv

2nd part:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p223/XCSlayer/?action=view&current=dbdsec-1.flv

and lastly the super gnarl chute section:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p223/XCSlayer/?action=view&current=112306_12531.flv

now a couple small drop/hucks by me...
view from the top:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p223/XCSlayer/?action=view&current=8__drop-_me_1.flv

view from bottom (taken by theacehole {thanks man})
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p223/XCSlayer/?action=view&current=8__drop-_me_2.flv

fun rides, hard work, its all fun...
i'll give a shout out to anyone who wants a crapload of amazing quality pics of them for free the next time i go on a photoshoot with FactoryCostcoDH and my photog. neighbor... youre welcome to ride with us and get some good shots! (next destination is Ted Williams)

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
Wow, you haven't had anyone come up to you and bitch about the building? If someone was to start building shiat down here, it would have been shot down after two shovel-loads. Looks like there was a brush fire in the area, erosion?

Pretty kick ass lines though.

weve had cops and environmentalists come up to us and bitch about our old wooden stunts out in Calaveras, and we almost got busted. but over at the burnt hillside, no-one seems to care...
theyre super fun lines and were building a FR stunt section on the same hill, its just a different line. its going to be awesome.

the soil in the burnt area is amazing!!! it is ultra tacky, spits up butloads of dust, and is insanely easy to dig. we scored for sure! and to top it all off, its only about a miles ride away from our houses.

well, i wasnt able to take any pics of the confusing junction spot that Cory built (reason= professional crastination), but we did get(phone)video of the crazy-tight berms and the step down after them...
sorry about the quality as they are phone videos, hopefully we will have good sequence shots tomorrow:
me:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p223/XCSlayer/?action=view&current=Crazy_berms-_Me.flv
Cory:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p223/XCSlayer/?action=view&current=Crazy_berms-_Cory.flv
me on the step-down:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p223/XCSlayer/?action=view&current=Berm2Drop-_Me.flv

Sep 17, 2006
We'll have to get a pic of the giant step-down as soon as I get the landing somewhere near done. MMMmmmmm 30'x8' of fun... or foot hammering pain... All we need now is a photoshoot

Sep 17, 2006
Finally got out there with a camera, but riding pics are limited because the battery ran out early :(

Here's a quick overview of each trail and a few decent pics to go with it:

Bryce displaying the main step-down in progress

Berm shots of the first berm in Bryce's triple switchback thing

One of the rhythm lines in the main trail

Small rock drop at the bottom

The larger drop at the bottom

Coming down the straight into the triple berm section

Last berm in the triple

Sep 17, 2006
Here's a run through of Bryce's trail:

Bypassing the first berm into the main trail to start his trail

S-Turn

Straight to berm to main trail intersection

The straight leading to the triple berm

The tri-berm itself

The next berm after the triple

The rock drop (a little washed out from the rain)

The end of Bryce's trail, which leads to the landing of the step down

Sep 17, 2006
And lastly, the run through of the main trail:

Beginning of the trail, crappy jump w/ no landing, too small to even take the time to build one

First berm to very small step-down to start the flow

Option line: Either medium step-down or s-berm with a small kick in the middle

(looking back)

Next rhythm or optional straight to small drop

(looking back)

The drop and the landing going into the high speed berm

Option1: go straight out of the berm and gap over the other option line using a small kicker on the outside line
Option2: take the inside line into the next berm to go to the split berm

The straight up to the larger drop, much faster of a line (if you took option1)

(looking back)

Or if you took option2, it comes to the split berm (left: small drop / right: main step-down)

The main step-down (in progress)

Sep 17, 2006
It's a short trail, but it's fun nonetheless. We want to keep it in good condition but we also want to see as many people as we can having a good time out here. It's cool if any1 wants to come out and check it out with us, but just remember, it's our only real local spot and we don't want anyone building anything in the middle of our existing trails without letting us know first. This should be a good thing for people who won't be able to ride calaveras, once the environmentalists take it over in the near future.

yeah, were stoked on the place for sure, and we definitley want to see alot of people riding it. whoever wants to can build at will, but obviously not on the lines that are already there...

for the huckers, D.J.ers, and crazy enduro riders, weve got tons more to build and all of you will definitley be included.

Huckers:
i've got a couple of different lines planned out that have some sick drops on them with tons of flow.

D.J.ers:
ive got a sick flowy line planned out and ready to build on the north side of the burn that includes a variety of hips, doubles and pump sections

Enduro riders:
this place has the gnarliest totally rideable ravine going from the top to the bottom of the ridge that has huge rock waterfalls, ultra tight squeeze sections, and gnarly trials-style turns and entries.

as weve said before, were building like crazy and new lines pop up seemingly every week, so we'll soon have some more pics of the new stuff!

Sep 17, 2006
As of yesterday the main step-down was finished and conquered. Wayyy smooth, perfect speed out of the corner, almost so easy it's disappointing.

And I've noticed someone has been doing some maintenance of their own on the main trail. I don't know if they're an RM'er but whoever it is needs to only do maintenance when it is NEEDED. They messed up the high speed berm by making it a lot less steep. It's screwing with the flow of the trail, and now there's no rut at the bottom for the rain water to channel out so its going to get messed up quick next time it rains. And the third rythm didn't need to be smoothened out, it just lost a lot of preload... The only thing they did right was add a little dirt to the launch of the main step-down. Let the trail get a little rough anyways, it'll be more fun for DH, which is what it intented for. Not for putting around.

Sep 17, 2006
Hit us up and we'll give you a tour.

Latest update: New hip at the end of Bryce's trail, going into the landing of the main step-down. It's right after the small rock drop. About 12-15 feet out, 1-2 feet down, and 30 degrees of offset to the right.

the guy doing maintenance was a mountain-boarder...
from what Cory said, he's a super cool guy and he's really good... good enough to contemplate hitting the big step-down.
he was trying to make the place have a better flow and more speed, but he didnt realize how much work it was going to take and had to cut it short because of time, but all in all, he's actually helping...

Sep 17, 2006
Update: New line going almost straight down the hill towards the main step-down. The first jump is about a 10-13 foot hip going over the first berm in Bryce's trail, which then continues straight down the hill to a 25' by 5' step-down which is almost done. From there the trail will continue into another high speed berm and come up to a small kicker to gap over the other trails. It'll line up straight with the entry to the main step-down, but instead will go to the right slightly to an extended lip about 10 or more feet back to make a 45' by 8' step-down.

Sep 17, 2006
Update: The second step down is done, and the berm right after the landing is finished as well. Just removed a few root balls today to clear the line and get a straight shot at the new lip. Judging from my last run I should have enough speed to make it about 40-50 feet out to the landing depending on how much preload and height I decide to put into the lip. It should be pretty comfortable right around 45'.

Hopefully more riding pics soon to come.

Sep 17, 2006
Another update (sorry we don't have any new pics yet): Bryce finally cleared out his enduro trail. So far he's got one small rock drop directly into a mix of loose rocks and root balls which continues out of an s-turn. Then from there it continues on through a really rough natural straightaway which has its fair share of ruts and lowspots from the rain. From there it goes to a slightly banked sweeping right hand turn over some smaller rocks and straight into a small natural hip and out to the bottom from there. Still more work to come.

On my line I just finished making the lip and most of the entry to the 45 footer, and I just began on an extended case platform. I should have the whole jump done sometime within the week. I also began building a 5 foot tall dirt spine towards the bottom of the Bryce's new trail and should hopefully have that done today.

I'll see about bringing out the camera today with me to get some pics of the new lines, as long as my dad hasn't taken it with him.

we went out on sunday with the camera and did a bunch of riding and building so heres the new stuff:
start out with Cory hittin the 35'er

the whoop section on my new trail:

the jump/drop into the rock/rootball garden:

so much for the Tomlinson family...

making it

nice off-camber drop/corner into a natural wall/berm:

the hip at the end:

and Cory on the hip into the giant landing of the 35' & 45'ers:

and two vids, first is me on my new trail up to the turn(sorry about the zoom, the camera was being lame:
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p223/XCSlayer/NewStuff044.jpg

and Cory on the main step-down:
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p223/XCSlayer/NewStuff044.jpg

Sep 17, 2006
Here's just a few more. Our most recent stuff is on video, but I don't believe that we have the software to edit it on our computer yet (I'll have to check on that with my dad)

Anyways, here's another shot of me on the 35 (you can see it looks a lot shorter from the front)

And here's a few shots of the 45 footer while I was still working on the case platform

It looks like the videos Bryce posted weren't working so I'll see if these work. They were taken on a regular digital still camera, so the quality isn't amazing.

Here's Bryce coming down his new trail. I found out that you couldn't zoom out while recording... and the voice at the beginning is from some little kid that was watching, not me :shakefist:

And here's me coming down the middle section of the main trail to the 35 footer (it looks pretty weak from that angle, but you get an idea of the speed)

our newest stuff is on video like Cory said, but we will have it up here probably tomorrow with a section of Calaveras DH in there as well...

i'm working on a movie project for one of my classes and when its done, i'll post the whole movie up here if i can, were expecting it to come out sick thanks to this crazy Apple editing system my teacher just got... the movie will have DH with us, skating by Mike D' Agostini and MX by some friends when its finished... for a preview.

Sep 17, 2006
Should finally be able to get back out there sometime soon, possibly even this weekend. I haven't been able to ride after a recent wipeout and some chiropractor visits, but I'm gettin back on the bike now. Bryce and I are able to show some people around again if anyone wants to check it out.

Next time I head out I'll probably end up resculpting the lip to the 45 footer get ready to hit it, and maybe later get some pics after I conquer it. Should be fun, I'll try to get some new stuff in here while Bryce is working on our biking DVD thing.