Quantcast

building jumps with sand bags?

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I want to build some decent sized dirt jumps where I live, which is very similar to the desert, so lots of sand.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck building the foundation or entire dirt jumps with sand bags? I've seen them used for bracing berms out here, thought it could be applied to jumps too. Anyone got any experience working with sand bags? :clue:

not sure, they were the plastic/tarp-esqe kind that were used to line some new roads in a new housing development area. i used to just drive by in my truck and load up since it was nearby. the exposed areas on the outside ones decomposed after about a year, but the jumps as a whole were solid as could be for years after...

aaronrocker

Monkey
Aug 7, 2008
Washington State
I want to build some decent sized dirt jumps where I live, which is very similar to the desert, so lots of sand.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck building the foundation or entire dirt jumps with sand bags? I've seen them used for bracing berms out here, thought it could be applied to jumps too. Anyone got any experience working with sand bags? :clue:

sounds like your answer

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Nice, good to hear I'm not totally off my rocker w/sandbag idea.

Ya, this is a solo project too and water is a problem as it is quite remote in the desert. I figure I can bring down enough to keep the lips decent enough, its the rest I worry about.

graydenfast

Chimp
May 1, 2021
Nice, good to hear I'm not totally off my rocker w/sandbag idea.

Ya, this is a solo project too and water is a problem as it is quite remote in the desert. I figure I can bring down enough to keep the lips decent enough, its the rest I worry about.
wondering how this worked? The place I live is mostly sand too, I also have access to lots of water.

if you've got plenty of water, building with sand based dirt is no problem as you can constantly water them. this spot is easily half sand and you just gotta keep it watered when you ride. we don't take pictures here anymore, but 10 years later the place is still going strong...
w7.jpg

w10.jpg

w5.jpg
w41.jpg

Last edited: