Quantcast

Building knee strength using a trainer?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
My knee(s) are old and beat up. Right now my left one feels 'loose' and I don't feel like I have the strength needed to support me if I was to do a full squat and jump up quickly. Or to jump down into a full squat, quickly.

I don't ride my bike much and when I do, I'm usually standing up or jumping dirt jumps.

Now that winter is here, I'll spend less time riding.

Someone mentioned cycling or spinning on a trainer would be good for my knee's.

I was looking into a trainer. Something under $150 should be fine.

I don't plan on using it to train as much as I just need to spin my legs a bit. My only reason to buy one is to build my knees back to a usable strength. I'm sure stretching would help too, so warming up on the trainer and then stretching...?

I know many of you have had knee issues, would you recommend a trainer to help increase knee strength/stability?

can they be set up so there is minimal resistance? I don't think I could pedal hard right now.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I bought a spinner after my accident. While my knees were one of the few things that remained intact, I had serious strength (or lack thereof) issues. I'm absolutely convinced the spinner helped my in my recovery, both mentally and physically. I've since loaned it out to several friends/acquaintances for post skiing knee blow outs and related knee surgeries. I'd certainly give it a try if it were me.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
A trainer can definitely help your knees. A few years ago I had some joint issues and spinning on a trainer really got my knees loosened up. Try to find a good deal on a fluid type trainer, they feel a whole lot smoother than traditional ones.

Also wearing a neoprene knee brace that you can get at any drug store will help keep the knee warm during exercise.

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
My right knee has some missing pieces in it and is a bit loose. For me road riding has helped the most in building up the overall strength of my leg. Rollers work better for me because pedalling in full circular motion tightens up the muscles on the outside of the knee better.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
PNJ there is also tons of good gear to ride all year and Seattle stays mild. I ride road all year here in NYC its colder and dry. Real riding to me is a lot better than a trainer especially when you have a job where you are inside all day. As I was getting in my late 30s supplementing my mountain biking with road riding has really helped me keep up my speed and not get too fat :-) Road riding is not a boring as you might think and a quick hour ride will get you a long way.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
See a physio.

Getting strong legs is obviously a good thing, but some more focused exercises for what ails you might also be a good idea.

Strong hamstrings to help weak ACLs, etc...

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I don't have insurance (thanks obama!) so that's not an option.

I don't even really have a job at the moment...

When I trashed my left knee getting back on a bicycle and pedaling is what got it working again (this forty years or so ago). I would much prefer to get out in the snow and rain and hike or pedal than use a trainer - I have tried 'em and detest the activity.

Side note: If you look at my legs they are quite differently shaped - more muscle around the defective joint on the left and a bigger quad on the right. Bodies are good at adapting...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
When I trashed my left knee getting back on a bicycle and pedaling is what got it working again (this forty years or so ago). I would much prefer to get out in the snow and rain and hike or pedal than use a trainer - I have tried 'em and detest the activity.

Side note: If you look at my legs they are quite differently shaped - more muscle around the defective joint on the left and a bigger quad on the right. Bodies are good at adapting...
Did the back of your neck build up extra muscle to support that moustache?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I bought a CycleOps trainer after my knee surgery (I much prefer riding outside and if push comes to shove, the rollers but those weren't options) and was pleased. I'd also recommend a bosu ball and some PT style exercises. They really helped to strengthen the muscles supporting my knees.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Nothing beats when your knee is throbbing and your quads are sore having a trainer. Pop your back wheel in, cruise for a little bit with virtually no resistance and feel the swelling in your knee go down and inflamation ease as the blood gets back in it.

It was my best friend post ACL surgery. It got me back to my trail bike way quicker.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
This just in...getting my knee scoped again. Had ACL and meniscus in '96. Issues in the last year have forced me to get it checked out. Going in on CHRISTMAS EVE! :rolleyes:

Last edited: