Quantcast

Building my first DH rig - newb

avalanche165

Monkey
Aug 15, 2006
building an 05' bighit fsr, got the zocchi 888vf, ran into the first problem. the steer tube is cut to 220mm, ebay deal. so when i mounted the fork, headset installed, i have no room to mount my stem.

if i remove the rubber bumpers then i have plenty room, should i do that? took some pics...thanks for any help im gonna post pics of the whole bike build

Attachments

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I'm pretty sure you can have a new steerer tube pressed into your lower crown @ Marzocchi.

That, or unload the fork for what you've paid and find another fork that will fit your frame's headtube.

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
he posted the same thread on mtbr.... very frightening.... even more frightening is that people have responded on both boards telling him to have a new steerer tube pressed in.... i'm guessing both posters are blind.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
coma13 said:
he posted the same thread on mtbr.... very frightening.... even more frightening is that people have responded on both boards telling him to have a new steerer tube pressed in.... i'm guessing both posters are blind.
Mr. Avalanche, if you ever read this, DO NOT PURCHASE A NEW STEERER. Or fork. Or whatever. Just take it down to the LBS...

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
I would recommend getting a bike shop to help you with the build as you could do yourself some damage as well as your bike parts.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
i'm with the majority here, just take it to a bike shop (ask to watch if you can) and get them to do it for you. From that photo i could see you getting hurt if you try to finish the build yourself.

(p.s. possible darwin award winner here)

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
That post made me ill.....

should we let him know his frame doesn't have a shock on it? I mean before he goes out and tries to impersonate Bender.....:dead:

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
RhinofromWA said:
That post made me ill.....

should we let him know his frame doesn't have a shock on it? I mean before he goes out and tries to impersonate Bender.....:dead:
I'm laughing hysterically! :weee:

This is some Funny Shiz! :rofl:

avalanche165

Monkey
Aug 15, 2006
well, i really like the look of "inverted forks". so im gonna take it apart tonight and put the springs on the outside it'll be so tight. im gonna make them spin too, like sprewell's. *turns on juvenile 400farenheit degreez

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
avalanche165 said:
well, i really like the look of "inverted forks". so im gonna take it apart tonight and put the springs on the outside it'll be so tight. im gonna make them spin too, like sprewell's. *turns on juvenile 400farenheit degreez
Words cannot even make a reply to that...
:confused: :looney: :wonky2: :help: :think:

Feb 13, 2006
SuspectDevice said:
You need to find a bike shop, or buy a book on bicycle maitenance. Unless you are kidding?
Yeah. A good bike and good parts can be ruined quickly by bad rookie wrenching.

I know, most people think "It's a bike, how hard can it be," and that might hold true for a Wal-Mart $65 bike that will be ridden only on the local sidewalk and driveway.

For a bike that will be used for DH, it's too risky to play home wrench unless you know exactly what you're doing. Pick an old junker bike to learn on, not a good DH bike with expensive parts.

Feb 13, 2006
avalanche165 said:
hahahahaahahahh man this is great everyone here is great
oh, Santa Barbara high school kid humor. sorry. I have to try to remember what it's like to be 15 with the brain of a 7 year old. I can't remember being that stupid at 15. sorry I didn't get your joke.:rolleyes:

toothless

Chimp
Dec 8, 2002
hahaha man this is a funny thread. :rofl: Just for fun, I asked my gf to comment on the picture and she deciphered what was wrong. Head to a shop before any damage is done and good luck with your ride, looks like a nice setup.

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
east of Seattle
you should go to a shop. but if you can't do that,

you have 2 crowns, top and bottom. the bottom one is the one with the steertupe attached. the top is the other. remove the top crown from the fork. looks like 2 -4mm bolts need to be loosened. slide the rubber bumpers off......

i just realized you don't have have a race on that lower crown. i'm guessing you don't have the right tool for this part, try to find a shop.

after you get a race pressed on the steertube, put the steertube in the frame, then the bumpers then the upper crown.