Quantcast

Building up a light low budget hardtail... [a project log]

Vulcan

Chimp
Oct 24, 2004
Okay, so its that time to throw some more money at my bike. The frame was an ebay special I nabbed for 60.00 last year and the parts are almost all from a lowend FS bike I had about 3 years. All of them have had their fair share of use (and abuse) and they are starting to show their age. The brakes are on their last leg, the hubs have already been rebuilt once, the wheels are out of true and aren't worth the time/efforts to fix...

Current Status:

926.00 Spent
Budget: 900.00

Priority 1 items:
Fork - [check] 2005 Marathon SL 225.00
Brakes - [check] Shimano XT M765 / M755 Lever ~ 120.00
Rotors - [check] Shimano XT ~ 40.00
Wheelset - [check] WTB Laser Disc (+Kenda tires, skweres, tubes) ~200.00
Tires - [check] Pair Continental Explorer Kevlar ~ 22.00

All Priority One items purhased for a total of: 607.00

Priority 2 items:
Crankset - [check] Race Face Evolve XC X-Type ~100.00
Shifters - [check] SRAM X.9 85.00
RD - [check] SRAM X.9 54.00
FD - [check] Shimano XT M760 35.00
Cassete - [check] Shimano XT 60.00
Chain - [check] PC990 ~ 0.00 (have)
Cables - [check] Aztec Power Lines 20.00

All Priority Two items purhased for a total of: 354.00

Priority 3 items:
Bars - [check] Sette XLR 1.5" Rise 10.00
Stem - [check] Sette Edge Stem 100mm 25.00
Post - [check] Sette APX Alloy Post 20.00

All Priority Three items purhased for a total of: 55.00

The Original Status:

Rock Shox Judy
Deore Components
Tektro IO Discs

Basicly, all junk... hehe.
Well, except for the pedals (Shimano m540) and the seat (WTB Speed V)...

So, time for an entire rebuild.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
bars= pricepoint.com has monkeylite xc ec70 carbon risers (lo & hi) for $59 right now. Hell of a steal on strong light bars :)

stem= raceface evolve xc from pricepoint as well for $30. light and cheap.

crankset= save some more money and go for raceface evolve xc's or dh's with x-type for $130-$150. These are bombproof performers for the price.

Vulcan

Chimp
Oct 24, 2004
mud'n'sweat said:
bars= pricepoint.com has monkeylite xc ec70 carbon risers (lo & hi) for $59 right now. Hell of a steal on strong light bars :)

stem= raceface evolve xc from pricepoint as well for $30. light and cheap.

crankset= save some more money and go for raceface evolve xc's or dh's with x-type for $130-$150. These are bombproof performers for the price.
Thanks for the pointers. Now I need to decide weather to grab a wheelset first or brakes first. I think the wheelset will hold out longer, but the wheelset I want is likely to be gone soon... So I might grab that ASAP.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Forget the WTD speeddisc wheels, this is a cheap build. Go with some of JensonUSA's Deore or Deore XT wheelsets.

Deore Discs w/Rhyno-lites or DS-2 rims for $89
or
Deore XT Discs w/ M223 rims for $165

The Ito

Vulcan

Chimp
Oct 24, 2004
ito said:
Forget the WTD speeddisc wheels, this is a cheap build. Go with some of JensonUSA's Deore or Deore XT wheelsets.

or

The Ito
No way I'm changing the wheels. The Laser Discs are an absolute steal at 240.00 shipped including Kenda Karma tires. I'm goign to spend my money where it really counts... Going all out on the fork and wheelset (for a cheao build atleast) and then to a reasonable level for the brakes and drivetrain.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Exactly. When building a budget bike, ALWAYS focus on the wheels and fork. I learned the hard way, long ago, when I thought drivetrain components were all that mattered.

Vulcan

Chimp
Oct 24, 2004
chicodude said:
Exactly. When building a budget bike, ALWAYS focus on the wheels and fork. I learned the hard way, long ago, when I thought drivetrain components were all that mattered.
Yep, its those core components that really matter in how the bike rides. You can even skimp on the fram to a degree. The frame I had only cost 60.00, but its still a nice frame... Des what I need.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
ito said:

or

The Ito

Maybe the XT's, but not the regular Deore's. They are just about the worse hub on the market. The WTB deal on Bob's site seems like a good choice.

Vulcan

Chimp
Oct 24, 2004
mud'n'sweat said:
Maybe the XT's, but not the regular Deore's. They are just about the worse hub on the market. The WTB deal on Bob's site seems like a good choice.
The WTBs are definatly worth the extra cash to me. I can even sell the tires for about 40.00 if I wanted. Hopefully the rest of my cash comes through soon so I can get the wheels ordered.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Nice, 120 a pair is a hot deal for sure. I just picked up Juicy Seven's from Performance. Got them to price match pricepoint.com's $150 price!

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
That's cool, is the new frame the Dakar you got?

Oh crap, we are hi-jacking this thread. Let's keep this thread on subject, hit me back up in the VA forum.