Quantcast

Building up a new bike- suggestions needed.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I ordered a Giant VT frame today and I plan on building over the next while as winter comes in. Basically I want to use it as a trailbike. I can't be much more specific than that. I have a freeride/DH bike and a 'cross bike so I need something in the middle. There will be the occassional drop and maybe jump (nothing big, I have another bike for that). I weigh 180 and ride in the northeast.

First question- do I go with 2004 Shimano integrated stuff? New XT setups will cost about as much as old XT/hayesHFX/good hubs (Hope Bulbs for example), a bit more. Quite a bit more if you add in 2004 XT cranks/bb setup. Without that, it's within $50. Should I go integrated? SRAM triggers maybe? I like the idea of running an all-shimano all-new setup but I have quite a few old hayes parts laying around....

Next- what rims? No desire to actually run tubeless. I forget the new Mavic numbers. I was thinking 519s, x3.1s or the new tubeless rim between the 3.1 and d3.1. I will likely try to get a high quality hubset, like CK ISO, Hope Bulbs etc.

Fork. Ideal right now is a Fox TALAS, Z1 FR SL or Minute. I need a 5inch fork, preferably air to keep weight down and adjustability up. Which one is best between those? Any others? All have their merits- I loved the Fox Vanilla I had a while back for smoothness, can't beat Marz. reliability and maint. and the Manitou SPV on a fork should match the VT great.

Any ideas or input would be helpful.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I was very close to getting a VT frame after riding one for a little bit this summer. They have nice neutral geometry, pedal Ok and have plenty of travel. I decided since this bike is going to be my graduation "splurge" bike that i would keep looking (hard when vt's were on sale in August).

Like you I have my cross bikes and a dh bike, plus some roadbikes, A jumping/street hardtail a single speed and a very race-specific XC hardtail.

The dh bike has really gotten me jonesing to just go out on nice big long gnarly rides where i can rip the descents and still go hard everywhere else as well. We used to call this phenomena "mountain biking"

I decided on an Orange Patriot frame because i could get the top tube length i wanted with a significantly shorter seatube than the sizes available on the VT. That way I can still race 4-x or slalom with the bike with my spec, just need to consider running a guide if that's the case.

The Patriot is going to be twice the price, but i'm splitting the cost of the bike 3 ways between myself and both me parents (Graduation present!).

As far as specs I'm thinking pretty much along the same lines as you, heres mine.

I willing to give the Minute a shot seeing as how I'll be running a swinger 4 way air out back. I'm not a Marzocchi fan, and the Fox's are pretty pricey for me.

I defintely do not want any new shimano stuff on my bike at all, i prefer the feel of SRAM's 1:1 ratio and the constant gap of the rear deraileur so I'm going sram and saving weight and money. Having demoed the new dualcontrol xtr stuff i can't see myself ever wanting to run shimano stuff again.

I have a ton of Hayes brakes and parts and probally should stay with them, but i've just gotten sick of the poor ergonomics/bulky lever and inconsistent feel, so i'm going to give the Hope's a shot.

I should also probally just a build a set of wheels, but the x-max xl's are just rediculosly light and sexy, and are relatively inexpensive as well.
If i were you 'd go with Hope hubs and the new "trail-intended" tubeless rims from Mavic.

my dream spec...
black King headset.
Thompson stem 80-90 mm
easton carbon dh bars
Ruffian lockons
Sram x9 shifter and x0 rear der.
Xt front deraileur.
RF turbine 110 bcd Isis cranks.
28 36 42t salsa rings
Light FSA BB
400mm thompson post
SDG ti railed Grand-Prix saddle
Hope minidisc brakes 180mm front 160mm rear.
Mavic crossmax XL wheelset.
Maxxis 2.3 larsen TT rear
comp 24 light 2.2 front
Sealent
Sram 9.0 12-32 casette

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Thanks for the suggestions. I may yet use the VT for DS racing. I actually kind of want to build so I can't though- that simplifies going to races and is probably cheaper in the end. This year, I raced everything on my DH bike and it was fine.
You say that Xmax XLs are not too expensive....they retail for $650! I could get king hubs and almost any rim combo from an online store for less than that. However, the crossmax XLs are probably my top choice for their strength to weight ratio.
As for the brakes, if I go integrated, I'll get XTs but if I don't then it's either Hayes (because I have parts and I can work on them), Minis or Shimano deore hydros.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Originally posted by JRogers
You say that Xmax XLs are not too expensive....they retail for $650! I could get king hubs and almost any rim combo from an online store for less than that. However, the crossmax XLs are probably my top choice for their strength to weight ratio.
Oh sorry about that, if you work at a Shop the Crossmax xl's are very inexpensive, whereas there is no such thing as e.p. on King stuff or individual Mavic rims...

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Originally posted by SuspectDevice
Oh sorry about that, if you work at a Shop the Crossmax xl's are very inexpensive, whereas there is no such thing as e.p. on King stuff or individual Mavic rims...
I worked in a shop for the last 4 years (spring+ summer). Every year at the Mavic info session with the rep, we got EP forms with INSANE deals on them. Way, way below retail. Too bad I never took advantage of it. Oh, and I believe Chris King does do EP. I never dealt with them personally but others in the shop just called them up and ordered parts. Didn't know if they were really below dealer cost but still, you can get'em direct.

RITFreeRider

Monkey
Sep 10, 2003
In a Boulderado state of mind
Well here's my 2 cents.

For the fork I would def go with either a Fox Talas or the Minute. They are both sweet forks and would work well on that bike. The Minute would def compliment the rear swinger on that bike beautifully.

As far as drivetrain the new XT stuff looks really good. I'm still not sold on the dual control levers though but everything else looks great. I would run the new SRAM trigger shifters with an X.0 rear mech. Then just run the rest of the shimano group. It's basically xtr paint XT grey.

For wheels the crossmax xls look like the $hit right now for a trail bike. If I had the money or worked at a shop I would be all over those.

That would be how I would build it up if I had the money. Hope this helps.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Originally posted by RITFreeRider
Well here's my 2 cents.

For the fork I would def go with either a Fox Talas or the Minute. They are both sweet forks and would work well on that bike. The Minute would def compliment the rear swinger on that bike beautifully.

As far as drivetrain the new XT stuff looks really good. I'm still not sold on the dual control levers though but everything else looks great. I would run the new SRAM trigger shifters with an X.0 rear mech. Then just run the rest of the shimano group. It's basically xtr paint XT grey.

For wheels the crossmax xls look like the $hit right now for a trail bike. If I had the money or worked at a shop I would be all over those.

That would be how I would build it up if I had the money. Hope this helps.
Basically, my ideal setup is with a TALAS, Xmax XLs, Avid Juicy 7s, SRAM trigger/XO mech and XT or XTR new-style cranks. However, realistically, that's going to cost way too much. It'll probably be more like LX/(old)XT drivetrain, SRAM triggers, TALAS or Z1, Hayes Mags and mavic rims/hope or shimano hubs. That would cost a ton less. Hmm...all in time I suppose. I don't expect to have the bike built until Feb. or so; we will see.