Quantcast

Built a gimbal/steady cam dealio for a GoPro or phone.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Thought some of you might be interested. Need to work out some details, but should help get some smoother video. I originally started out to modify one my brother had and wanted to use, but then just built the whole thing. Still kind of crude, but plan on making some refinements. Have a buddy that I might hit up for some cnc work.

Rings cut and center bearing fitted:

Jig to drill and ream the holes for the dowel pins to attach the rings:

Gimbal mechanism together:

Mounting plate:

Basic design:

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Sick work. Counterweight for wrist relief, like Westy said, would be helpful.
How does it work, while faster speed and bigger accelerations, for example while filming a follow cam during skiing?
Swinging?

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
It's really not that heavy and I plan on making it lighter. The through rod is going to get turned down and relieved and I plan on integrating the outer ring of the gimbal in to the main plate. I have a buddy that can CNC mill me some plates, which will be a slightly different design but much lighter. Not sure how well it works yet, have't really had a chance to play with it yet. Because of the counterweight on the bottom, starting and stopping might be tricky on something like skiing, but I think it might work fine once you're moving though. Not entirely sure though...I guess I'll find out. I'm thinking about maybe kickstarter or something, just need to work out some details.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Thanks guys. It's more for my brother. He wanted something to use with his iPhone, so I came up with this.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Video that shows the action. I'm going to shorten the top piece to the mount to reduce the lever length which should translate to less movement in the camera. This video is also with no weight on the bottom so it sways more, but shows the general idea. The red is still dykem that I need to remove haha.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Moving forward with this whole thing. Really want to go to kickstarter, win or fail or break even. Trying to not suck at my CAD skills. Downloaded a copy of Autocad Fusion 360. I have a friend with a CNC, so hopefully, I can bang out some prototypes in the next couple weeks.

Blown240

Monkey
Nov 19, 2013
This is very very cool.

I wonder if there is a way to give it vertical stabilization? Like the pole part being neutrally sprung vertically in the mount. Then you could make the handle clamp around a handlebar somehow.

Handlebar mount GoPro stabilizer/gimbal! You can make me one for using my idea!