Quantcast

Built a new budget XC bike

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
This build had no intention of being built "light" but I'm taking it in that direction now.
I did the current assembly with parts I had laying around or things I could order on the cheap.
As time goes I will continue to update this thread with my weight-loss progress.

Frame: Foes ProLite XC(medium, custom paint)
Fork: '06 Reba Team U-turn Dual Air
Headset: Random ball bearing who knows what
Stem: Giant Connect 80x8*
Bars: Answer ProTaper carbon
Grips: Odi Ruffian Lock-on
Shifters: X0 gripshift
Cable: Yokozuna stainless
Housing: Yokozuna Jet-lubed housing
Front derailleur: Sram X-Gen
Rear derailleur: Sram X0 short cage(lasted 5 years on my downhill bike)
Chain: KMC X10SL
Cassette: Sram PG990 11-34T
Crankset: Shimano Deore 22-32T w/ FSA poly bash
Pedals: Usually times, Premium Thin flats shown
Saddle: Bontrager Inform RL
Seatpost: Thomson
Brakes: Avid Juicy Carbon 160mm
Front hub: WTB LaserDisc
Rear hub: Shimano XT
Rims: Mavic 317
Spokes/nipples: 14g/brass
Tires: WTB Wolverine 2.2
Tubes: Specialized regular tubes

Weight: 24.1lbs
Current dollar amount invested: $809.00

Still have a set of FSA carbon K-Force light cranks to throw on as well before I start spending real money to drop weight.

The ride:
Single track ripper. I'm having a hard time riding my Niner EMD now that I have this guy. Jumping, manuals, climbing, railing corners it's all fun on the Foes. The Niner is a bit of a chore to get it to lean over and rail hard without a berm, manuals and wheelies take a bit of extra effort to get to that balance point. The Niner has been turned into what is essentially an "all-mountain" hardtail 29er due to having the Foes in the stable.

-Kevin

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Nice work on the weight for what you spent thats a real light fairly burly build. I like what loads of hard tail work can do for your riding.

I built up a Trans Am at the start of this year as sort of a "do all bike". That concept aint worth a velvet painting of a dolphin and a walrus gettin' it on, but this thing is pretty dang fun on the shorter xc missions I've been doing a lot of lately. Rips corners, makes climbing not sucky (even with a single 35 tooth) and it even does ok on pump tracks, granted its no where near as fun as a pure dj street bike but it gets the job done.

As the only bike I have at the moment its taking a hell of a beating but its holding up, the build is pretty basic and most of the parts came from my stumpjumper so I know they can hold up to a fair bit of shenanigans only about 600$ and 6 6 packs of tall boys in trade for the wheels invested @27ish pounds I'm happy with the weight it could be a significantly lighter but I have no plans on upgrading anything on this bike until at least next year. As soon as my DH frame shows up I'm going to start rebuilding my Stumpjumper FSR with a much nicer build (08 frame). I went in to this assuming the Trans Am would be all I needed and it works but I think it will be nice to have some rear squish again for some of the other rides we do.

Last edited:

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
That's pretty darn impressive for a steel hardtail. I know my Orange P7 with LX cranks, Juicy carbons, Sunline V1's, Marz AM 1 SL, and WTB wheelset was 32lbs just before I sold it. It was a tank but damn did it every ride nice.

I agree, some squish out back is nice. However even on our trail rides today with the Foes I pulled away from the guys on their 2010 Enduro/Reigns on the downhills. It's fun to read the trail and react accordingly rather than plowing.

I still have the greatest urge to build up a really nice light weight do-everything full suspension.

My garage is full and I'm still planning on stuffing a 2011 Reign(or Trance X), 2011 Demo, 2011 TCR Advanced, and possibly a 2011 P3 too.

Currently I've got:
Niner EMD
Cannondale Chase
Arrow DSS
Foes Fly
Giant Faith
Litespeed Catalyst
Trek 2300
Mountain Cycle Rumble
Foes ProLite XC
Giant Iguana(1 1/8"/1x9)
Giant Iguana(1"/SS)
Premium Harrington
Sunday 2nd Wave

I'm still missing a dedicated dh rig, an updated geometry jumper, a less than 10 year old road bike, and a full suspension trail bike.

Last edited:

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Wow! Thats quite the fleet. And I thought I was crazy for building a DH, trail, and hopefully a road bike in one year.
2010 Transition Trans Am
2010 Evil Revolt (? que)
2008 Specialized Stumjumper Expert
2010 Cannondale Caad 9 (hopefully)

The I'm looking forward to building the stumpjumper up again better than before, bead blasted flat black powder coated frame, 2011 Fox 32 Talas 140 15QR, X0 Shifter and super short der, XT cassette, XT cranks, Gamut P20 guide, DT Swiss 5.1d laced to hope hubs (red front gold rear), XT brakes, Sunline bars (possibly flat), Po1nt 50mm stem, Crank bros acid 2 pedals, SDG carbon I-beam and I-fly saddle, Schwalbe Racing Ralph rear and Nobby Nic front tires. Should be legit.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
Wow! Thats quite the fleet. And I thought I was crazy for building a DH, trail, and hopefully a road bike in one year.
2010 Transition Trans Am
2010 Evil Revolt (? que)
2008 Specialized Stumjumper Expert
2010 Cannondale Caad 9 (hopefully)

The I'm looking forward to building the stumpjumper up again better than before, bead blasted flat black powder coated frame, 2011 Fox 32 Talas 140 15QR, X0 Shifter and super short der, XT cassette, XT cranks, Gamut P20 guide, DT Swiss 5.1d laced to hope hubs (red front gold rear), XT brakes, Sunline bars (possibly flat), Po1nt 50mm stem, Crank bros acid 2 pedals, SDG carbon I-beam and I-fly saddle, Schwalbe Racing Ralph rear and Nobby Nic front tires. Should be legit.
That sounds very much like the way I was going to build a 2010 Stumpy Expert, however after spending time in the saddle I could never get the Brain adjusted as I wanted it and skipped it.

I started working at 15 and just built bikes all the time. Eventually it's been sold or traded off and I've ended up with a garage full 8 years later.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
^ The build was robbed off of this frame before I bought it including the "Brain" shock. It was replaced with the spec. specific Triad which works reasonably well.