Quantcast

built up 2011 Canfield ONE

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
So went through 6 or seven bikes in the last year trying different frames, shocks, forks etc trying to get a handle on what's what there's still a few I want to try but I will be keeping this one for my do it all (from the gravity side of the sport).

Weight ranges from 33+ to 36+ depending on shock, fork and wheel set. So far I've ridden it with a vivid air, ccdb and now a avy woodie (with soft spring on High speed blow off).
Forks are a 2011 fox talas 180 and 2011 boxxer wc With avy cart

It pedals really well, accepts front der. And can go from 6.5-7.5 with a 2.5 shock and 7-8 with a 2.75 shock.
Ha is 63.5, WB is 48, bb 13.6 weight with avalanche woodie and boxxer wc with dh casings on deemax is 36+

Got plenty of time ripping around on it since getting it, has some serious strong points for a 8" travel slack bike.

2011 CANFIELD one
2011 boxxer wc with avalanche cartridge
2011 avalanche woodie with rcs ti 450 spring light spring on high sped blow off
Middleburn cranks
Crampon pedals
King headset
Reverb hyd post
Sdg flight ti saddle
Answer prontaper bars
Deity fantom stem
Forum.a the one brakes 203 mm rotors front and rear
Industry nine wheel set tubeless
2011 sram X0 shifters and der.
XT 11/36 cassette
Mrp guide

Additional equipment for other riding mainly free ride and pedalling
Deemax 2010
2011 fox 36 talas 180 kashima
XT front der.
X0 2x10 front shifter
XT cranks dual ring
Thomson post x4 50mm
Thomson post
Avalanche dhs total different tune
Double barrel
Vivid air

Last edited:

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
I didn't even notice who posted this t'il I saw the rear avy shock and knew it had to be bullcrew.\

nice rig

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
How does the Talas compare to the Boxxer?

It needs a HammerSchmidt. :)
Different the talas feels a bit more progressive and nimble the boxxer is more plush and feels deep but more numb both ride great and both have there places for sure.
The talas will be going back on along with the front der. For winter riding.

The van 36 180 I had was more plush but lacked the travel adjust and that's why I opted talas, for pedaling in and around its nice to drop the front.
For more aggressive and dh drops etc I'd say van over talas as far as the 36 SC fox goes.

As far as shocks I like the pedalling effeciency of the vivid air but to go plush and smolth it wallowes a little more than I like, it does not have the same small bump damping of the other 2 shocks. It jumps nice and if it was a smoother course its great.

Ccdb is a SOLID shock and love the way it doesn't ramp up but smooth and co sistent, I did adjust it in and played with it but the one area it had was it felt a little overwhelmed in the speed and chatter I backed the rebound out a smidge and its pretty dialed I am very impressed with this shock. (Note also looks kick @$$ with the gold and black).

I was riding the ccdb and had just come off the vivid when I sent the woodie back to craig so i knew what I wanted and which side of the tune I needed to get it perfect.
After talking to him and based on curve, leverage, spring rate and what I needed out of it he decided on soft spring for the blow off (high speed only controls 30% or so) and a light tune.

The soft spring lets the back of the bike break through on square edge hits and smooth out the terrain as well as up the slow speed for pedalling. For freeride I can move shock to 7" setting and it adds approx 50lbs to the effective spring rate so i get really good peddaling and better bottom out on nastier stuff without compromise.

I will say they are all 3 really really good shocks and the vivid air would have been more what I was looking for on a rearward arch bike, but the tunability of the ccdb opes up alot of possabilities and as far as avalanche its hard to beat a custom tune and reliability.

Last edited:

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Man with all these pimp bikes and money your throwing around to build them with extra forks, shocks, and wheelsets you would think you could send me the money and parts you have owed me for years... ;)

Anyway, sick bike man. I have always wanted to try one (pun intended)

Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
Very nice build bud..

But holy crap is the frame ugly. Canfield need to go got back to straight tubes... :-)
Ya, not a huge fan of the new canfield look. But certaintly an awesome build. But the old canfields had that"I am big and fast" look to them. None the less cool build

Does it remind anone of like the 2009-2011 Big hits. That frame looks like it

Wa-Aw

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Philippines
What is this it doesn't even look like a trek!

Might I ask what cranks you are running? And is the high weight of a hydro seatpost noticeable on a DH bike?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
What is this it doesn't even look like a trek!

Might I ask what cranks you are running? And is the high weight of a hydro seatpost noticeable on a DH bike?
When running dual ring XT and single ring middleburn.

No at first I didnt like the additional weight than after using it I will have it on alot of the time, its one place that makes a good addition if your peddaling.
Wish I had it a big bear for the pedalling between trails or back to the lifts this summer.

I don't like adding weight at all but I'm OK with it here the benefit is worth it.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Ya, not a huge fan of the new canfield look. But certaintly an awesome build. But the old canfields had that"I am big and fast" look to them. None the less cool build

Does it remind anone of like the 2009-2011 Big hits. That frame looks like it
The Jedi still has straight tubes I personally like the mild swoop of the one. It isn't much different than the 2010 sx trail I just had.
It is an improvement over the last one out as well as geared more dh oriented which is a huge bonus.

My sxt shares similar lines.

Last edited: