Quantcast

Built up the Breezer for the Ms.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Last night I just finished building up my old XC frame that'd I'd given to my ms. some years ago but due to lack of interest on her part & lack of funds on my end, it sat around unbuilt. Fast forward to 2006 and she's somewhat bored of the gym and with the summer coming around she wants to get out & ride w/ her man... so, I didn't waste time & before she knew it, the bike was built.

I hopped on it to test last night & was a little suprised at how good it felt! (go figure right?) She also gave it a run around the block & remarked @ how smooth it felt.

Needless to say, I'm very happy & look forward to riding w/ her.

Here are a few photos of the various iterations of the frame. It really brings back some memories!

p.s. thanks to all those who helped with parts & suggestions: kidwoo, stosh, skatodd, etc.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Damn, I'd race that thing in pro slalom with a chainguide and some different tires. That's a sick bike, a shame to see it get put to such mundane use, but definitely better than sitting around. Hope she enjoys it!
Here's my Breezer:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The bike has seen many years of good use... it's designed as an xc race bike & light @ 3.9lbs. Since they're irreplaceable these days, I'd hate to break it, so I have no problems with her riding it ... on the road & light xc.

I did do some light jumping with it one summer ... it's a somewhat suprisingly good jumper, but it definitely won't take the abuse of casing or regular jumping.

nice ride - what's going on with the stem?

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
dump said:
The bike has seen many years of good use... it's designed as an xc race bike & light @ 3.9lbs. Since they're irreplaceable these days, I'd hate to break it, so I have no problems with her riding it ... on the road & light xc.

I did do some light jumping with it one summer ... it's a somewhat suprisingly good jumper, but it definitely won't take the abuse of casing or regular jumping.

nice ride - what's going on with the stem?
I wouldn't DJ that bike either, but I would race slalom on it.

The bike is made for a midget, hence the 48cm seat tube. The 54cm toptube means I can still ride it comfortably. Since I don't have any money, when I was trying to build it up I went down to the LBS (LBS's rock) and they hooked up an old STX 1" headset and a random pair of forks we found in a bucket. Since the headtube is about 3" tall, we had to re-thread the steer tube about two more inches. End result=bike that fits pretty well, but has some goofy looking spacers. Cut them off and the front end will be just above knee height.

Frame is 3.4 pounds of steel, road-carving goodness, and the whole bike is just under 21. With a nicer seat, post, stem, handlebar, pedals and wheelset, the bike could easily be under 17 pounds. That's with normal style stuff, but since I've got less $ into this bike than you have into the tires on your gf's bike, 21 pounds is plenty light. Oh, it's got Dura Ace 9speed, but with a $47 rear wheel, a 20 year old front wheel, and never ceases to be super fun.

When/how did you get your Breezer?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Nice.

I bought the frame new in 1996... it was my 2nd breezer. At the time it was $700

jvp108

king of the road
Mar 21, 2006
filthadelphia
I did the same thing for my girl with my KHS steel hardtail from highschool. I love how that thing rides, and it was too short for me anyway with a 15" frame.

Includes al of the usual suspects like a short stem, cut riser, 170mm cranks, comfy seat, and sweet 8sp drivetrain. Gives me a good excuse to create hand-me-down parts too...new wheels for my XC hardtail and fork to come....in fact I think I have those same Rolfs on there now.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Went for our first ride this morning down to the marina. Although she was initially reluctant, she had a blast!

choice quotes:

"we should do this every sunday..."

"Don't you love this? I'm having so much fun!"

"I love this bike, it fists so well."

ahem - score :D