Quantcast

Bulging Disc

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
that's the diagnosis on the ol back

went to the chiropractor today, he moved my legs around a bit, made me hurt, popped my back a coupla times and made me feel better today than the drugs and doctors and PT have in 2 frikken weeks

I go back to see him 3 times next week, so, until then

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Damn man, that's teh sux0r. I got lucky and my permanent lower back pain doesn't bother me when I ride... just every other minute of the day. Hopin' the best for ya.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
if you find a good Chiro, your golden! I found one that actually treated my problem WOW WHAT AN IDEA!!! instead of pumping me full of painkillers and muscle relaxers that didn't do SH!T for me!

good for you! I am glad you are doing better!

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
thanks for the good werdz guys

just got back from happy hour, and I feel even a little better now :)

hopefully after this next week I can be back on a bike, at least just pedalling 'round da hood

peeth out yo!

bohica

Chimp
Jun 15, 2002
just south of everywhere
I have the same problem. regular chiropractic adjustments help but the one thing that really took care of my back pain was an inversion table. I hang for 15 min twice a day and have never had back pain since. ask your chiropractor about it.

benno

Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
brungeman said:
if you find a good Chiro, your golden! I found one that actually treated my problem WOW WHAT AN IDEA!!! instead of pumping me full of painkillers and muscle relaxers that didn't do SH!T for me!
Hey, I've got an idea, how about I crack your back, causing a mild endorphin release that makes it fell temporarily better, tear, twist or occlude your vertebral arteries, giving you a stroke, and instill an idea in your head that you must continue paying me money on a regular basis to keep your back under control! And I'll do all of this with a poor evidence base and unsound scientific theory! WOW WHAT AN IDEA!!!

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
benno said:
Hey, I've got an idea, how about I crack your back, causing a mild endorphin release that makes it fell temporarily better, tear, twist or occlude your vertebral arteries, giving you a stroke, and instill an idea in your head that you must continue paying me money on a regular basis to keep your back under control! And I'll do all of this with a poor evidence base and unsound scientific theory! WOW WHAT AN IDEA!!!

Glad you know the profession doc.

So do you actually know the lack of mobility causes a loss of water holding molecules in the body tissues? Did you know that the immobilization causes degeneration? Did you know that immobilization causes cellular death in tissues surrounding the immobile parts? Did you know that cellular death exposes cellular contents to extracellular structures, initiating a cascade of C fibre impulses, the vast majority of which do not reach the cortex? Did you know that that C fibre activation causes more immobility and in turn causes more C fibre activation? And did you know the only way to stop that cycle is to introduce movement into the tissues in question?

Nah, didn't think so.

:rolleyes:

Rant aside...Cooter, feel better man. Glad you're getting some help.

benno

Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
robdamanii said:

So do you actually know the lack of mobility causes a loss of water holding molecules in the body tissues? Did you know that the immobilization causes degeneration? Did you know that immobilization causes cellular death in tissues surrounding the immobile parts? Did you know that cellular death exposes cellular contents to extracellular structures, initiating a cascade of C fibre impulses, the vast majority of which do not reach the cortex? Did you know that that C fibre activation causes more immobility and in turn causes more C fibre activation? And did you know the only way to stop that cycle is to introduce movement into the tissues in question?

Nah, didn't think so.

No, I just made up a bunch of **** and am commenting on things way beyond my level of understanding. :rolleyes:

Have a read of the following abstract:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=15989112&query_hl=1&itool=pubmed_docsum

I think it's safe to say that is the general opinion of most non-chiropractic/osteopathic medically qualified people.

edit: spelling

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
benno said:
No, I just made up a bunch of **** and am commenting on things way beyond my level of understaning. :rolleyes:

Have a read of the following abstract:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=15989112&query_hl=1&itool=pubmed_docsum

I think it's safe to say that is the general opinion of most non-chiropractic/osteopathic medically qualified people.
So only things within the 11 year period, 29 studies ONLY, qualify? You DO realize that there is a purely scientific neuromuscular component to a subluxation complex.

You're perfectly entitled to your opinion. I happen to know that it's wrong, and far be it from me to change your ignorance. If you want to be closed minded, that's your business.

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Alfred said:
Heal up, Coot. I don't think you being crippled is funny at all. :(

thanks mang, I'm tryin my best, gotta have a little help from the 'root witches' though

God love em

Rob, keep rollin, if there's none other that believe in chiropractic care, you've got at least one:) :)

benno

Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Ok, my initial comments in this thread were off the cuff and a little more extreme than my actual beliefs. No matter.

robdamanii said:
So only things within the 11 year period, 29 studies ONLY, qualify? You DO realize that there is a purely scientific neuromuscular component to a subluxation complex.
Does the second sentence have something to do with the first?

robdamanii said:
You're perfectly entitled to your opinion. I happen to know that it's wrong, and far be it from me to change your ignorance. If you want to be closed minded, that's your business.
I'm afraid you're only demonstrating your own close-mindedness there: there is no such thing as a 'wrong' opinion. And I know that mine is supported by an extensive evidence base and sound medical and scientific theory. The same cannot be said for chiropractics. Maybe the abstract I linked to was small in it's scope but there's many more like it. (for example: Assendelft WJJ, Morton SC, Yu EI, et al. Spinal manipulative therapy for low back pain. A meta-analysis of effectiveness relative to other therapies. Ann Intern Med 2003; 138: 871-881. 38. "manipulative therapy is barely more effective than sham therapy" would be a brief overview of their findings)

I'd like to think I am not close-minded or ignorant. I am receptive to the general concept of CAM, acupuncture for example. It actually works (I don't know how, but it does). I like that most CAM practioners spend more time with pts and have a more holistic approach to health. I don't like that a lot of CAM doesn't work.

If the chiropractic profession get their **** together and start producing some literature of sound methodology demonstrating moderate efficacy, my opinion will change.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
benno said:
Ok, my initial comments in this thread were off the cuff and a little more extreme than my actual beliefs. No matter.

Does the second sentence have something to do with the first?

I'm afraid you're only demonstrating your own close-mindedness there: there is no such thing as a 'wrong' opinion. And I know that mine is supported by an extensive evidence base and sound medical and scientific theory. The same cannot be said for chiropractics. Maybe the abstract I linked to was small in it's scope but there's many more like it. (for example: Assendelft WJJ, Morton SC, Yu EI, et al. Spinal manipulative therapy for low back pain. A meta-analysis of effectiveness relative to other therapies. Ann Intern Med 2003; 138: 871-881. 38. "manipulative therapy is barely more effective than sham therapy" would be a brief overview of their findings)

I'd like to think I am not close-minded or ignorant. I am receptive to the general concept of CAM, acupuncture for example. It actually works (I don't know how, but it does). I like that most CAM practioners spend more time with pts and have a more holistic approach to health. I don't like that a lot of CAM doesn't work.

If the chiropractic profession get their **** together and start producing some literature of sound methodology demonstrating moderate efficacy, my opinion will change.
You're missing the point. There IS a large body of science behind the necessity of spinal manipulation. However, it's VERY difficult to gauge effectiveness on the procedure as a whole. There's no absolute objective like removing a tumor or destroying a bacterial infection. Pain and the effectiveness of treating it is subjective based upon the doctors findings and more often, the patient's subjective opinions.

If you break down the idea of a subluxation down into a series of neuromuscular components, there's actually a large body of scientific evidence, provided by MDs and PhDs, that very clearly defines the parameters of the said complex. As soon as I return to my filing cabinet, I'll be very glad to provide you with the names of the studies in question, if you care to read them.

And you explained that acupuncture works and "I don't know how, but it does". Many many patients have the same experience with a good chiro, and they can't explain it, but it does help them. And if it helps them, then it's successful and the doc has done their job, correct? I'll give you that there are a large number of crappy chiropractors out there, and they've done a great job of making us all look bad, but that doesn't mean all chiros are quacks (right in the same vein that just because a doctor cuts off a leg doesn't mean they are all useless).

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
splat said:
Heal Up Cooter , Back Pain sucks!!!

and I wonder if Benno relizes why rob is the is the resident Witch Doctor ? :think:
You know, when we were in Woodstock at the flea market they actually had witchdoctor stalves. I considered buying one and taking a picture just for the monkeys. :D

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
there are plenty of alternative medicinal practices scoffed at by "real doctors and scientists" that work for people every day. So really WTF does it matter if its working. Good luck to you cooter. For chronic back pain I'd try anything.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
ooh eeh ooh ahah, ting tang wallawallabingbang
ooh eeh ooh ahah, ting tang wallawallabangbang

splat

Nam I am
I told the witch doctor I was in love with you
I told the witch doctor you didn't love me too
And then the witch doctor, he told me what to do
He said that ....

(CHORUS)
Ooo eee, ooo ah ah ting tang
Walla walla, bing bang
Walla walla, bing bang...
Walla walla, bing bang
Walla walla, bing bang

I told the witch doctor you didn't love me true
I told the witch doctor you didn't love me nice
And then the witch doctor, he game me this advice
He said to ...

(CHORUS)

Now, you've been keeping love from me
Just like you were a miser
And I'll admit I wasn't very smart
So I went out and found myself
A guy that's so much wiser
And he taught me the way to win your heart

My friend the witch doctor, he taught me what to say
My friend the witch doctor, he taught me what to do
I know that you'll be mine when I say this to you
Oh, Baby ....

(CHORUS)

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Bulging discs suck! I had that as a result (most likely) of bike stupidity (that and slightly short left leg and muscular imbalances over the years) - which resulted in the bulging disc pressing on the sciatic nerve.

As probably many people have said here already, find a trusted chiro, get your regular dr. on board, ice it, use anti inflammitory drugs (when needed), get some movement in your affected joints/back but DON"T overdo it.

I have also found that in the long run, stretching and core strength work have helped keep this from becoming a major issue again, give or take.

This approach generally worked for me, though I still have twinges every now and again! DH'ing I'm sure doesn't help!

Good luck - Jim

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
benno said:
Sorry my chiro usually uses stim to relax the muscles (you know the same stim that the "reputable PT'S" use, then he usually doesn't crack, he usually uses percussers sp? to manipulate....

You maybe some non believer (and you may even be one of the @SShat docs or doc wannabe's that got a friend of mine hooked on painkillers cause of his back pain, it wasn't till he went to my chiro that his back was TREATED!!! not just the pain, the root problem of a subluxated disc!!!) but if you read my initial statement if you find a good one you are golden....

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
thanks for all the well wishes

I felt better this morning rolling out of bed than I have in over two weeks, still continuing on with the PT for core strength

hopefully next week I can get back on a bike

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
brungeman said:
and you may even be one of the @SShat docs or doc wannabe's that got a friend of mine hooked on painkillers cause of his back pain
THANK YOU!!

The same doctors who claim to somehow be "above" chiropractors, for the most part simply prescribe overpriced, addictive, and dangerous drugs with nasty side effects that only treat symptoms and rarely cure the problem.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i've got scoliosis and have had 2 episodes in my life where i have been incapacitated for weeks. Didn't have money for a doctor or a cracker back then. i've gone for years now with strengthening my abdominal muscles, and stretching every morning. While you're in the pain you gotta do what you gotta do to get better i'm sure. But i think exercise, and watching how you lift, and getting furniture that's easy on your back is key. i think spending a thousand dollars on a firm bed that's made to support the back is the best thousand dollars i've ever spent.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
robdamanii said:

Nah, didn't think so.

I'm not arguing with your arguments, but movement does not necessarily equate to vertebral manipulation. There are gentler, active ways to achieve that end. There have been documented cases of vertebral artery damage, stroke, and paralysis from cervical manipulation, though lumbar and thoracic manips are definitely a lot safer.

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
Damn, back pain sucks.

Ive had to deal with it all my life, finding a a good chiroporactor helped immensly.
The first time I fell to bits I hobbled in on a friends arm with a walking stick, and walked out without the help of either, almost unbeleivable!
The last episode though required surgery to remove the exploded disc bits from in the spinal process and the nerve root for most of my left leg, that wasnt fun!

Core strength people, dont skimp on it, and it makes you a better, and faster rider too.
Oh and the ladies love taut abs! :D

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
brungeman said:
..and you may even be one of the @SShat docs or doc wannabe's that got a friend of mine hooked on painkillers cause of his back pain,.. .
WOW you are a f'n idiot!

So beer mfg should be held acountable for people who drink and drive...
Sports car mfg 'make' people drive fast...
Mcdonalds causes obiesity...

Is there any possibility that it was your friends decision to take the meds??? Or was he forced??

Tell me how exactly it was that the doc 'got' your friend addicted to pain meds, did he not know what he was takeing? Could he not hear when hes doc informed him of the side efects of narcotics? Was he not able to read the multi-page drug information that came with his prescription? Is he just so completely ignorant that he does not know anything about narcotics prior to the prescription?

In the real world, Docs are VERY cautious about writing scrips for pain meds, they over emphasize the side effects, and force patients to return for very regular follow up appointments to continually examine the need for continuation of therapy.

Welcome to america where stupid a$$hats blame everyone else for their problems, issues, and general stupidity.

Unfortunately there are people out there with major cronic pain that can only be helped whith strong narcotic pain killers. If you ever had experienced this kind of pain, you would understand, you obviously have not. The vast majority of these people would like nothing more that to find a true cure for their pain and to be free form the dulling effects of long term pain managment. Some people unfortunately, have not been able to find help despite everything that the alternative docs and the AMA have to offer.

You try to live with pain at 8 on a scale of one to ten, 24 hours a day seven days a week for several years.
When you have experienced this type of cronic pain, then you can come and bad mouth the only option that many people have to TRY to live some type of quality of life.

Until then, Shut the fuuk up about thing you know nothing about!!

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Take care Cooter!

My lumbar spine is an absolute mess, I know what you are going through. As others have said, keep up with stretching and core strength. I have had some relief as well by just moving, and keep moving, especially walking. P.T. was a help as well, if for nothing more than a scheduled 'date' to do your core work.

p.s. sorry about the derail/rant above