Quantcast

Bulletproof Vests Might not be Bullet Proof

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
DRB said:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6504820/

I know that there are cops in here and those that know them.

Bulletproof vests are only bulletproof up to a point. The officer that was killed, as I recall, was struck in a woven kevlar area of the vest rather than one of the trauma plates. When these vests are worn a lot and subjected to sweaty skin acids or UV radiation over time, they degrade and should be regularly replaced. Bear in mind that even on their best day, bulletproof vests are as much a misnomer as silencers. Any super-high velocity round or one that utilizes solid, non-frangible or teflon/kevlar-coated bullets will go right through a vest, a telephone pole or most anything else reasonably close.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
iresmoke1 said:
I know that there are bullets that are made to go through the vests.
I think they call them cop killas.
It's freakin crazy.
Teflon coated bullets are illegal in the US, though.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
iresmoke1 said:
It's amazing what people can get their hands on.
Scary!
Both teflon and kevlar are available commercially as coatings for all manner of legitimate purpose. Any ninny can dip a +P FMJ round not that you'd even need to. A standard .223 FMJ will go through most of 'em and any jacketed metal or solid-core hunting round will do much the same.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Manufacturers will now be forced to call their products "Bullet Resistant" instead of Bullet Proof.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
llkoolkeg said:
Both teflon and kevlar are available commercially as coatings for all manner of legitimate purpose. Any ninny can dip a +P FMJ round not that you'd even need to. A standard .223 FMJ will go through most of 'em and any jacketed metal or solid-core hunting round will do much the same.
My old man had a WWII era 7mm Mauser (Kraut gun) and had some steel jacketed rounds from somewhere. Those damn things buzzed holes through the back wall of an 1/8" steel bullet trap........ :eek:

-S.S.-

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
SkaredShtles said:
My old man had a WWII era 7mm Mauser (Kraut gun) and had some steel jacketed rounds from somewhere. Those damn things buzzed holes through the back wall of an 1/8" steel bullet trap........ :eek:

-S.S.-
No doubt. I never cared for the 7mm myself, as they burn out barrels almost as badly as the 1/11 twist on some match-grade AR-15s. Still, a very cool gun to own as the mauser action is as reliable as it gets and widely copied even to this day, my Mini-14 being but one of many.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
llkoolkeg said:
No doubt. I never cared for the 7mm myself, as they burn out barrels
Yup. My old man bought and sold guns just to have the pleasure of shooting them in the back yard occasionally. He probably never kept one long enough to burn out a barrel.

The one I was afraid of was the really lightweight lever-action 45/70 that would just about take my shoulder out of joint when I touched it off..... the Old Man joked he kept it around in case a rhino got loose in the vegetable garden. :D

-S.S.-

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Holy crap...one of the corpsmen who worked for me tried to save Zepetella's life...I gave him a medal for trying. He pulled women and children inside a bank to safety, and ran towards the gunfire, found him, did a patient assessment, and tried to clamp an artery with his fingers. He got the officer on to the life flight, but he died enroute.

I heard about the lawsuit a few months ago.

MD