Quantcast

Bullit and E13 DRS issues

I_N_I

Chimp
Sep 25, 2007
So I'm setting up the Bullit with a new SKF 113 ISIS bottom bracket. I'm also installing the DRS with an 05 ISCG apapter. I've had to countersink the holes in the adapter to make some clearance for the mounting hardware, as it would bottom out first, and leave the DRS backplate loose. Anyway I fixed that, but my problem is that the small chainring bolts still hit the DRS mounting plate bolts when the Race Face crankarm is fully installed. I ordered a few different BB spacers, and am hoping that a 1 or 1.5 mm spacer between the BB flange and the ISCG plate will give me just enough clearance, and not screw with my chainline too bad, I'd rather not do that though. I'm going see if the aluminum chainring bolts I have in my toolbox are lower profile, but the real problem is the slightly oversized mounting hardware that does not fully set down into the countersunk area in the DRS backplate.

I figured the install was a no-brainer, anyone else have setup issues, and how did you fix it?

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
What year is your Bullit frame? I take it that it is the older version with the 135mm spacing.

DerekJ

Monkey
Mar 6, 2006
Taichung, Taiwan
So I'm setting up the Bullit with a new SKF 113 ISIS bottom bracket. I'm also installing the DRS with an 05 ISCG apapter. I've had to countersink the holes in the adapter to make some clearance for the mounting hardware, as it would bottom out first, and leave the DRS backplate loose. Anyway I fixed that, but my problem is that the small chainring bolts still hit the DRS mounting plate bolts when the Race Face crankarm is fully installed. I ordered a few different BB spacers, and am hoping that a 1 or 1.5 mm spacer between the BB flange and the ISCG plate will give me just enough clearance, and not screw with my chainline too bad, I'd rather not do that though. I'm going see if the aluminum chainring bolts I have in my toolbox are lower profile, but the real problem is the slightly oversized mounting hardware that does not fully set down into the countersunk area in the DRS backplate.

I figured the install was a no-brainer, anyone else have setup issues, and how did you fix it?
The DRS is a direct mount system, meaning that I-05 backplates are direct to I-05 frame tabs only and cannot be mounted with adapters like the single ring systems.

you will need the ISCG-OLD/BB BACKPLATE which mounts sandwiched between the BB flange and shell.

Usually the set up requires a bit longer spindle though, 118mm and more specifically an E-type which will have additional thread insertion in the BB shell itself.

Cheers,
Derek

P.s. I think my email to you got bounced so just give it a second shot if you have any more Q's

I_N_I

Chimp
Sep 25, 2007
The bike is an 03

Here is the reply from E13

The DRS is a direct mount system only. The spacing of the DRS differs from the single ring retention systems and does not use ISCG adapters for fitment.
The I-05 system is designed to be directly mounted to I-05 tabs. The system cannot be mounted with an adapter as that will add an extra 2.5 mm (added width of the adapter) to the overall set up width.

Unless you have I-05 tabs on the frame you will need to use the ISCG-OLD/BB DRS the I-old backplate mounts between the BB flange and shell.

Using the correct ISCG-OLD/BB backplate will resolve the rubbing and binding issues.

I guess I'm hosed and will need to get the other backplate, they could have been a bit clearer with the application guide.

Thanks Derek.

DerekJ

Monkey
Mar 6, 2006
Taichung, Taiwan
The bike is an 03

Here is the reply from E13

The DRS is a direct mount system only. The spacing of the DRS differs from the single ring retention systems and does not use ISCG adapters for fitment.
The I-05 system is designed to be directly mounted to I-05 tabs. The system cannot be mounted with an adapter as that will add an extra 2.5 mm (added width of the adapter) to the overall set up width.

Unless you have I-05 tabs on the frame you will need to use the ISCG-OLD/BB DRS the I-old backplate mounts between the BB flange and shell.

Using the correct ISCG-OLD/BB backplate will resolve the rubbing and binding issues.

I guess I'm hosed and will need to get the other backplate, they could have been a bit clearer with the application guide.

Thanks Derek.
These things can get a bit tricky at times. Hell, sometimes even frame manufacturers aren't sure which configuration they are using on specific models.

The DRS systems aren't like the single ring systems in regards to spacing, however a good rule with selecting a DRS is that about 90% of the time the BB mount I-old version of the DRS will be the correct choice. The backside of the backplate is machined to even allow you to BB mount OVER I-05 frame tabs.

I love e-13 and their products work very well but they really need to work on the instruction/installation side of things. I had the same problems, mounting screws would run out of threads and the DRS plate was loose. Use thin washers behind plate and adapter to fix, I will try to counter sink later. In the instructions it said to use 4 wear plates with 128 axle length, nope. Removed two plates to get it to work. Work great just took a lot of trial and error.

I_N_I

Chimp
Sep 25, 2007
I guess I should have updated for anyone following this thread, I got hooked up with the correct backplate, and the setup was pretty easy. It took a few tries to get the clearance right for the rear tire, but I'm sure I got it setup ok, I might have to make an adjustment when I decide what tires I'll be running this season.